Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Tyre pressure and manufacturers' recs.

Started by Spider1977 · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,791 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 September 2003
Last activity
25 September 2003
Original author
Spider1977
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,791
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Any ideas on what tolerances you should put on recommended tyre pressure?

    I have read some information (http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels)that manufacturers recommend slightly lower tyre pressures than ideal for liability reasons. This site recommends going up to 10% over the manufacturers recommendation.

    I'd be interested in peoples experience on this?

    I currently use Kenda 23-622 tyres for training where recommended pressure is 110 psi. However I realise other more expensive racing tyres have recommended pressures up to 220 psi.

  2. I've been running Continental 3000 and Continental 3000 G.P. Supersonics over the past year or so, and because I'm a big guy, I always keep the tire pressure super high, in the 125-140 range (Supersonices recommend 140psi, while the 3000 recommend 120 psi).

    It's killer on the streets of chicago, but anything less and I feel like im floating on beanbags.

    oh yeah... 700x23 wheels w/ cheapo LBS tubes.

    never had a problem. yet.

    randy

  3. watch what your wheels are rated too, you can blow off tyres at 150psi on some rims.

    130psi is the best which has been proved by many people, you can go slower above or below that psi.

    as for tubs/silks i do not know ....

  4. I used to run max pressures or more, ie 125 psi on Conti GPs. However, now find 100 psi rides better, and doesn't seem to roll any slower for my 170 lbs. The sidewalls on the Mich Pro Race I'm running now say 87 psi min, 116 psi max....so 100 is right in.

    Guess it comes down to rider weight and the road feel you like, but I'm sold on 100 psi..just my $.02.

    Dan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.