General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Turkish Delight - here's the proper recipe

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 430 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 April 2006
Last activity
3 April 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
430
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I found about a dozen recipes on the internet. Some of them included
    gelatin, but that's a cheat. Real turkish delight doesn't use gelatin.
    So I used one of the other recipes that doesn't have gelatin. It came
    out like vaseline, which was definitely wrong. Then I tried again using
    the recipe below, which came from a middle eastern source. It is the
    most time consuming of all the recipes I found. It is also the correct
    recipe. It produced a result that was like what I bought in a muslim
    grocery store. The key to success is to heat the sugar mixture and the
    corn starch mixture separately, then to combine them and heat some
    more. That's why this recipe works. You can substitute other flavors
    for the rosewater - like lemon, orange, creme de menthe, or peppermint.
    You can also add pistachios, walnuts, or hazelnuts. You will need a
    candy thermometer. I am posting this message in case someone else looks
    for a turkish delight recipes and wonders which one to use. You might
    want to do a test run with half the amounts and no added flavorings so
    that you can get the hang of making this. If you make it right, it
    should be a translucent golden color, soft, and slightly chewy (not
    including any food colorings or powdered sugar)

    Turkish Delight - Lokum

    Quoted message said:

    From Saad Fayed,


    Your Guide to Middle Eastern Food.

    INGREDIENTS:

    4 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/4 cups cornstarch
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    4 1/4 cups water
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons rosewater
    1 cup confectioners sugar
    Vegetable oil ot shortening

    PREPARATION:

    In a 9 inch baking pan, grease the sides and bottom with vegetable oil
    or shortening. Line with wax paper and grease the wax paper.

    In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar and 1 1/2 cups water on
    medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves. Allow mixture to
    boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, until the mixture
    reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and
    set aside.

    Combine cream of tartar, 1 cup corn starch and remaining water in
    saucepan over medium heat. Stir until all lumps are gone and the
    mixture begins to boil. Stop stirring when the mixture has a glue
    like consistency.

    Stir in the lemon juice, water and sugar mixture. Stir constantly for
    about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, Allow to simmer for 1 hour,
    stirring frequently.

    Once the mixture has become a golden color, stir in rosewater. Pour
    mixture into wax paper lined pan. Spread evenly and allow to cool
    overnight.

    Once it has cooled overnight, sift together confectioners sugar and
    remaining cornstarch.

    Turn over baking pan containing Turkish delight onto clean counter or
    table and cut with oiled knife into one inch pieces.

    Coat with confectioners sugar mixture. Serve or store in airtight
    container in layers separated with wax or parchment paper.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I found about a dozen recipes on the internet. Some of them included
    gelatin, but that's a cheat. Real turkish delight doesn't use
    gelatin. So I used one of the other recipes that doesn't have
    gelatin. It came out like vaseline, which was definitely wrong. Then
    I tried again using the recipe below, which came from a middle
    eastern source. It is the most time consuming of all the recipes I
    found. It is also the correct recipe. It produced a result that was
    like what I bought in a muslim grocery store. The key to success is
    to heat the sugar mixture and the corn starch mixture separately,
    then to combine them and heat some more. That's why this recipe
    works. You can substitute other flavors for the rosewater...

    Thanks. I've always assumed the gelatin was wrong but that it needed
    pectin or gum arabic.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Turkish Delight - Lokum

    Quoted message said:

    From Saad Fayed,


    Your Guide to Middle Eastern Food.

    INGREDIENTS:

    4 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/4 cups cornstarch
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar


    [snip]

    receipe saved for future reference, thank you very much.

    I tried one of the fake gelatin ones, once, and it tasted like - well I won't
    say - but rather unlike Lokum.

    Must get my hands on a candy thermometer one of these days ....

    thanks for the post, -Peter

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

  4. Peter Huebner said:

    Must get my hands on a candy thermometer one of these days ....

    I just use a regular meat thermometer or one of my digitals to
    make candy.

    -sw

  5. Quoted message said:

    ... I am posting this message in case someone else looks
    for a turkish delight recipes and wonders which one to use. You might
    want to do a test run with half the amounts and no added flavorings so
    that you can get the hang of making this. If you make it right, it
    should be a translucent golden color, soft, and slightly chewy (not
    including any food colorings or powdered sugar)

    ...

    Thanks. Experience is the best teacher, and somebody else's experience
    is the best kind! :-)

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.