Road Cycling · Public discussion

tubes failing on the seams?

Started by Steve Knight · · Last activity · 3 posts · 742 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 September 2004
Last activity
2 September 2004
Original author
Steve Knight
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
742
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I have
    not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have found
    glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it through. I
    have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of the tube
    the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam was split
    and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on the side
    of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this time. I
    think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike tubes.
    anyone else have this problem?

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
    Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
    See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  2. "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have


    found

    Quoted message said:

    glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it


    through. I

    Quoted message said:

    have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of the


    tube

    Quoted message said:

    the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam was


    split

    Quoted message said:

    and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on


    the side

    Quoted message said:

    of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this time.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike tubes.
    anyone else have this problem?

    I replaced a lightweight Specialized tube last week that failed in just that
    fashion. My LBS replaced the tube for free after inspecting it (the tube
    failed while the bike was sitting in my car on the way home from a bike
    tuneup!). The LBS said that they would, in turn, get a free replacement
    tube from Specialized as it was clearly a case of "manufacturing defect".

    For me, I think it's time to switch to a different brand of tubes.

    --
    ~_-*
    ....G/ \G
    http://www.CycliStats.com
    CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
    Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
    See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  3. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 07:09:29 -0700, GaryG

    garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    so far with the tires on my road bike (bonganger race lite hard case) I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    not found anything that made it through the tire and tuffy liner. I have


    found

    Quoted message said:

    glass and rocks and but of metal in the rubber but they don't make it


    through. I

    Quoted message said:

    have had three flat its in over 3000 miles. the first on the inside of
    the


    tube

    Quoted message said:

    the second on the outside. but it was on a seam. it look like the seam
    was


    split

    Quoted message said:

    and a hole right in the middle of the split. today I had another one on


    the side

    Quoted message said:

    of the tube. on a sea and the usual split but two little holes this
    time.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    think all of these tubes are specialized tubes just basic road bike
    tubes.
    anyone else have this problem?

    I replaced a lightweight Specialized tube last week that failed in just
    that
    fashion. My LBS replaced the tube for free after inspecting it (the tube
    failed while the bike was sitting in my car on the way home from a bike
    tuneup!). The LBS said that they would, in turn, get a free replacement
    tube from Specialized as it was clearly a case of "manufacturing defect".

    For me, I think it's time to switch to a different brand of tubes.

    I had some tubes that did this, but I forgot which brand they were. My
    new ones don't do this.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.