Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Truvativ 5D: Solid cranks to cut and re-drill?

Started by Lister · · Last activity · 4 posts · 521 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 October 2005
Last activity
24 October 2005
Original author
Lister
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
521
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for an mtb crank to cut and re-drill for my 7 year olds
    bike. I found a Truvativ 5D. Anyone know if it's solid and otherwise
    suitable for this? Thanks.

  2. Lister said:

    I'm looking for an mtb crank to cut and re-drill for my 7 year olds
    bike. I found a Truvativ 5D. Anyone know if it's solid and otherwise
    suitable for this? Thanks.

    Don't do it. Short cranks are easily available from St. John Street
    Cycles in England under the Thorn brand name.
    Phil Brown

  3. Lister said:

    I'm looking for an mtb crank to cut and re-drill for my 7 year olds
    bike. I found a Truvativ 5D. Anyone know if it's solid and otherwise
    suitable for this? Thanks.

    I have done this modification to convert 185mm BMX cranks to 152mm
    trials cranks. It's not as easy as it sounds.

    You need a crank arm that is as thick through the arm (or more so) as
    it is at the original pedal eye. It can't be much narrower across the
    arm at the new pedal thread than it was at the old one. And you must
    shorten the crank by enough length that the clear length on the far
    side of the new pedal hole at least equals what was there originally.
    That means at least 30mm change in length for most cranks.

    You don't know what the particular material properties of your crank
    are, so default to what the manufacturer did. The good news is that
    your cranks will wind up stronger and much stiffer overall after you
    shorten them.

    My experience with Truvativ cranks is limited to the Stylo and the
    Hussefelt. Either one of those would be suitable for retapping.

    When I shortened a set of Primo Powerebites, I attached the arms one at
    a time to the spindle, then mounted the spindle in a rotary table chuck
    on a vertical mill. Then I was able to drill, tap, and spotface each
    crank arm in one setup.

    It would probably be possible to get decent results by using a drill
    press and carefully setting up in a vise with v-blocks or the like. It
    would not be a good idea to skip the spotfacing step.

    Chalo Colina

  4. Lister said:

    I'm looking for an mtb crank to cut and re-drill for my 7 year olds
    bike. I found a Truvativ 5D. Anyone know if it's solid and otherwise
    suitable for this? Thanks.

    Bikesmith in Minnesota shorten cranks:
    http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/temp.html
    But, depending on your desired length, you may be able ot find
    off-the-shelf cranks that work, like these:
    http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-98434

    Jeff

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.