General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Trip Report: Western States 100 "Training Run Camp"

Started by Bad Ben · · Last activity · 4 posts · 396 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 June 2007
Last activity
8 June 2007
Original author
Bad Ben
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
396
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run is run on the Western States
    Trail starting at Squaw Valley, California, and ending in Auburn,
    California.

    Training runs are scheduled to acquaint runners with the last 74 miles
    of the trail. I got to partake in this year's May training run. I'm
    not in the actual race this year, but I'm going to be crewing for, and
    pacing a buddy of mine (Patrick) at the Western States 100-Mile Race
    on June 23-24. I'll be supporting him all day and then running the
    last 40-miles of it with him. He ran his first 100-miler with me back
    in February, and has gotten very fit and confident. (He's also 9
    years younger than me, so that's a plus). I think he's on track for a
    sub-24 buckle.

    Preliminary report:
    I survived all three days of training, and felt pretty darn good,
    afterward. Western States 100 training camp was awesome! It's hard to
    simulate (here in the Midwest) running down a steep mountain trail for
    45 minutes at a sub-7-minute pace; and it's really hard to simulate a
    climb that lasts for over an hour. We had more than a few of them. The
    first day was the toughest...I ran out of water twice.

    Running for 3 days in a row over the Sierra Nevada Mountains from
    Squaw Valley to Auburn, California was great training. I'd recommend
    this training to anyone that wants some really tough training towards
    a mountain event.

    Here's a link to my full story for Western States training camp (with
    photos):
    http://psychowyco.com/Western_States_100_Training_Camp_story.pdf

    There are a few more photos here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65423964@N00/sets/72157600297176930/

    Happy trails,
    Bad Ben
    http://www.psychowyco.com/

  2. Bad Ben said:

    The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run is run on the Western States
    Trail starting at Squaw Valley, California, and ending in Auburn,
    California.

    Training runs are scheduled to acquaint runners with the last 74 miles
    of the trail. I got to partake in this year's May training run. I'm
    not in the actual race this year, but I'm going to be crewing for, and
    pacing a buddy of mine (Patrick) at the Western States 100-Mile Race
    on June 23-24. I'll be supporting him all day and then running the
    last 40-miles of it with him. He ran his first 100-miler with me back
    in February, and has gotten very fit and confident. (He's also 9
    years younger than me, so that's a plus). I think he's on track for a
    sub-24 buckle.

    Preliminary report:
    I survived all three days of training, and felt pretty darn good,
    afterward. Western States 100 training camp was awesome! It's hard to
    simulate (here in the Midwest) running down a steep mountain trail for
    45 minutes at a sub-7-minute pace; and it's really hard to simulate a
    climb that lasts for over an hour. We had more than a few of them. The
    first day was the toughest...I ran out of water twice.

    Running for 3 days in a row over the Sierra Nevada Mountains from
    Squaw Valley to Auburn, California was great training. I'd recommend
    this training to anyone that wants some really tough training towards
    a mountain event.

    Here's a link to my full story for Western States training camp (with
    photos):http://psychowyco.com/Western_States_100_Training_Camp_story.pdf

    There are a few more photos here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/65423964@N00/sets/72157600297176930/

    Happy trails,
    Bad Benhttp://www.psychowyco.com/

    You know Ben, this would be mildly inteeresting IF it wasn't in the
    western states. Because as we all know, the western states suck, and
    the people who live there suck, so nobody really cares.
    Thank you

  3. Quoted message said:
    Bad Ben said:

    The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run is run on the Western States
    Trail starting at Squaw Valley, California, and ending in Auburn,
    California.

    Quoted message said:

    Training runs are scheduled to acquaint runners with the last 74 miles
    of the trail. I got to partake in this year's May training run. I'm
    not in the actual race this year, but I'm going to be crewing for, and
    pacing a buddy of mine (Patrick) at the Western States 100-Mile Race
    on June 23-24. I'll be supporting him all day and then running the
    last 40-miles of it with him. He ran his first 100-miler with me back
    in February, and has gotten very fit and confident. (He's also 9
    years younger than me, so that's a plus). I think he's on track for a
    sub-24 buckle.

    Quoted message said:

    Preliminary report:
    I survived all three days of training, and felt pretty darn good,
    afterward. Western States 100 training camp was awesome! It's hard to
    simulate (here in the Midwest) running down a steep mountain trail for
    45 minutes at a sub-7-minute pace; and it's really hard to simulate a
    climb that lasts for over an hour. We had more than a few of them. The
    first day was the toughest...I ran out of water twice.

    Quoted message said:

    Running for 3 days in a row over the Sierra Nevada Mountains from
    Squaw Valley to Auburn, California was great training. I'd recommend
    this training to anyone that wants some really tough training towards
    a mountain event.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's a link to my full story for Western States training camp (with
    photos):http://psychowyco.com/Western_States_100_Training_Camp_story.pdf

    Quoted message said:

    There are a few more photos here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/65423964@N00/sets/72157600297176930/

    Quoted message said:

    Happy trails,
    Bad Benhttp://www.psychowyco.com/

    You know Ben, this would be mildly inteeresting IF it wasn't in the
    western states. Because as we all know, the western states suck, and
    the people who live there suck, so nobody really cares.
    Thank you

    [censored]

  4. Bad Ben said:

    The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run is run on the Western States
    Trail starting at Squaw Valley, California, and ending in Auburn,
    California.

    Training runs are scheduled to acquaint runners with the last 74 miles
    of the trail. I got to partake in this year's May training run. I'm
    not in the actual race this year, but I'm going to be crewing for, and
    pacing a buddy of mine (Patrick) at the Western States 100-Mile Race
    on June 23-24. I'll be supporting him all day and then running the
    last 40-miles of it with him. He ran his first 100-miler with me back
    in February, and has gotten very fit and confident. (He's also 9
    years younger than me, so that's a plus). I think he's on track for a
    sub-24 buckle.

    Preliminary report:
    I survived all three days of training, and felt pretty darn good,
    afterward. Western States 100 training camp was awesome! It's hard to
    simulate (here in the Midwest) running down a steep mountain trail for
    45 minutes at a sub-7-minute pace; and it's really hard to simulate a
    climb that lasts for over an hour. We had more than a few of them. The
    first day was the toughest...I ran out of water twice.

    Running for 3 days in a row over the Sierra Nevada Mountains from
    Squaw Valley to Auburn, California was great training. I'd recommend
    this training to anyone that wants some really tough training towards
    a mountain event.

    Here's a link to my full story for Western States training camp (with
    photos):
    http://psychowyco.com/Western_States_100_Training_Camp_story.pdf

    There are a few more photos here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65423964@N00/sets/72157600297176930/

    Happy trails,
    Bad Ben
    http://www.psychowyco.com/


    Ben,
    I'm sure your friend appreciates your support. Nice report and
    pictures. Please keep us posted.
    Al K

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.