Afternoon all. I am just about to buy my first road bike which I will use for daily commuting (I will ride hard as it will replace going to the gym) and general fitness. I am looking at the Trek 1500 but also have the option of a second hand Fausto Coppi Campionissimo (2001-2002 model) via Ebay. Any views?
Also, as i won't be racing, am i going over the top for a first bike? The Trek 1200 is £400 cheaper and looks v similar to my untrained eye. Recommendations and advice would be gratefully received.
I think the 1500 is one of the best deals out there for a 105 bike, and you wouldn't be wrong going that route. Buying a first bike off Ebay should be done with caution. Not against fraud, but because you are not as familiar with frame sit and bike fit as someone who has owned a few different bikes.
Also I don't think the 1200 looks bad, but the 1500 is better. dollar for dollar its a toss up IMO and it depends on how much you want to spend.
Originally posted by jitteringjr I think the 1500 is one of the best deals out there for a 105 bike, and you wouldn't be wrong going that route. Buying a first bike off Ebay should be done with caution. Not against fraud, but because you are not as familiar with frame sit and bike fit as someone who has owned a few different bikes.
Also I don't think the 1200 looks bad, but the 1500 is better. dollar for dollar its a toss up IMO and it depends on how much you want to spend.
Thanks. Going to ride a 1200 and 1500 this afternoon. I assume I should be going for a 56cm or 58cm? I am 6ft. I guess a 56cm with the seat up would be lighter so preferable?
Absolutely not. Choose proper Fit over weight in any circumstance. Besides the top tube length is more important. If you have too small a bike your knees will knock up to the handle bars. If too long to will have to strech too far and cause discomfort in your back.
Read up on Bike fit and ask the guys at the bike shop to help you with fitting it.