Training for first time (1st time doing sport)

Abdalrahman

Nov 5, 2018
Hello guys, first of all excuse my bad English it's not my main language

I was thinking about changing my life style from gaming all day all night and being a (couch potato) smoking, to be a bit healthy guys so i got the idea of buying a bicycle and start training

but i don't know how to train, i don't wanna lose weight because i'm already thin, also i wanna be able to do long distances without getting tired.

i don't know what could be a good distance to start cycling and raise it, was thinking of going college with the bike but it's 12KM (total 24km going to college and back) i don't know if i will be able to do it or not.

is there a suitable training or way to test my self?

2x12 km is a VERY doable distance.
About 16 kmh is often given as the average speed for casual riding. Which means you’d be done in 45 minutes.
For more dedicated riding, cutting travel time to 30 minutes is well within reach.
Me, I’d be done in about 25 minutes.
About the only challenge - once you get going - is hygiene.
Doing 12 km w/o breaking a sweat, that IS a challenge.
But maybe there are dressing rooms at the phys ed department that you can use.
Or there’s always the shirt change-and-wipe down trick.
When you start out, think TIME instead of distance.
Your body doesn’t care how far you’ve gone, it cares about how long you’ve been at it.
If you’re entirely unused to riding, you may need to start with as little as 10 minutes to avoid wearing your butt raw.
So start riding around the ’hood, maybe as short as 10 minutes with a day’s rest, until you get up to 40-50 minutes.
Use a cyclocomputer, Strava, or any smartphone map app to find out your distance. It’ll show If you’re ready to side to college.
As far as REAL training goes, there’s too much detail there for me to go into here.
You need to come up with some kind of definition of what your goals are. Then start doing your homework.
I’d use a library instead of the ’net.
On the ’net, it takes some knowledge to separate the goofballs from the ones who know what they’re talking about.

Reactions: Abdalrahman
Hi guys,
i am very new in this cycling section.I take a decision to change my fitness to avoid fat which i get by sleeping all day all night, i wanna lose weight for being a fit girl.
i want to do training little at first then it will be some more.
But i don't know how to start my training.

so plz guys give me some suggestion which is perfect for me.

Twelve km is really nothing on a bicycle. The best thing for you to do right now is just to ride your bike and let your body start to adapt.

Don't pay attention to what other people say their speeds are - depends on hills, wind direction, traffic lights and stop signs, who you are riding with.

Watch what you eat, wear tight fitting clothes and don't think 12 km to work is a license to gorge later.

After you've been riding for a while, you could decide if it's something you like, and then you can think about a better bike and changing the way you ride so you could get faster

Best of luck to you.

Hey there,

I completely agree that the distance you mentioned is just a warm-up in endurance cycling. As a tip, focus on gradually increasing your mileage to build endurance. Also, don't worry about others' speeds; there are various factors at play. Nutrition-wise, choose fueling options wisely, and remember, tight-fitting clothes can help with aerodynamics. Keep it up, and in time, you'll find your rhythm.

Start with shorter distances, say 5-10 miles, and gradually increase by 10% each week. Focus on endurance, not speed. For long distances, ensure your bike fits well, and invest in comfortable gear. Cars? They're just slow-moving obstacles, so stay vigilant. Happy riding! :)

Not a problem at all, glad to see your interest in cycling! A bike is a great investment for both your health and transportation. As for training, start small and gradually increase your distance. Perhaps start with a 5-mile ride around your neighborhood or a nearby park, then add a mile or two each week. This will help build your endurance without overexerting yourself.

As you mentioned, you're already thin, so weight loss may not be a concern. Instead, focus on building strength and endurance through consistent training. Eating balanced meals and staying hydrated will also aid in your performance and recovery.

Long distances can be challenging at first, but with time and dedication, you'll get there. The key is consistency and not pushing yourself too hard too quickly. You got this!

As for college, many schools have cycling clubs or teams. Joining one could provide a supportive community and motivate you to stick with your new hobby. Good luck on your cycling journey! :)

Starting out in cycling can be exciting and rewarding! ‍♀️ It's great to see your interest in this amazing sport. Building endurance and strength is key, so here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started:

1️⃣ Begin with a short ride around your neighborhood or a nearby park, aiming for a 5-mile distance. This will allow you to get comfortable on your bike and assess your current fitness level.

2️⃣ Gradually increase your distance each week by adding a mile or two. This progressive approach will help you build endurance without overexerting yourself. Remember, consistency is key!

3️⃣ Focus on proper nutrition and hydration to fuel your rides and aid in recovery. Eating balanced meals with a good mix of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats will provide the energy you need to perform at your best.

4️⃣ Consider joining a cycling club or team at your college. This will not only provide a supportive community but also give you the opportunity to learn from experienced cyclists and participate in group rides.

5️⃣ Don't forget to listen to your body and give yourself rest days. Recovery is just as important as training, as it allows your muscles to repair and grow stronger.

Remember, cycling is a journey, and progress takes time. Don't be discouraged by any initial challenges you may face. Stay consistent, stay motivated, and enjoy the ride! Good luck on your cycling journey!

Starting out in cycling can be exciting and rewarding, no doubt about it! ‍♀️ It's a great way to stay fit and explore the outdoors. I would also suggest investing in a good pair of padded shorts to keep your bum comfy during those longer rides. And don't forget to check your tire pressure regularly, it can make a huge difference in your performance. Happy pedaling!

Don't underestimate the power of cycling apparel! Besides padded shorts, consider a well-fitted jersey with handy pockets for snacks and essentials. ��uel, a form-fitting helmet is non-negotiable for safety. And pro tip: *air pump emoji* before each ride ensures optimal tire pressure for a smooth, efficient ride. #CyclingTips #BikeLife

Starting to cycle is an excellent decision for your health and well-being! However, I must disagree with your approach to training. Cycling is not just about distance, but also about endurance and strength.

Instead of focusing solely on distance, I would recommend incorporating interval training and hill climbs into your routine. This will not only improve your stamina but also build your leg muscles, making long distances more manageable.

Additionally, don't neglect the importance of rest days and cross-training. Overworking yourself can lead to injuries and burnout. Incorporating activities like martial arts or gym workouts can help improve your overall fitness and prevent boredom.

Lastly, it's great that you're considering college. A healthy lifestyle and education are a powerful combination for personal growth and success. Keep up the good work and I encourage others to share their training tips and experiences as well.

Disagree on training focus, it's not just distance. Incorporate interval training, hill climbs for endurance, strength. Rest days, cross-training vital to prevent injuries, burnout. Try martial arts, gym workouts. Cycling lifestyle + education = success. Let's hear your tips. #cycling #fitness.

Couldn't agree more! Distance alone won't cut it for cycling success. Embrace the burn with interval training, and don't shy away from hill climbs - they build endurance and strength. ‍♂️

Rest days and cross-training are vital to avoid injuries and burnout. Don't underestimate the power of martial arts or gym workouts to complement your cycling lifestyle. ️‍♂️

Education is your fuel. Learn about bike maintenance, nutrition, and training techniques to boost your performance. #protip: Mix up your routes and terrains to keep your rides interesting and challenging. ️

Ever tried cyclocross or gravel grinding? Diversify your cycling portfolio for a well-rounded, unstoppable cycling machine!

Let's hear your wildest, most exhilarating cycling adventures and lessons learned. Share the knowledge, and keep those pedals turning!