General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TR: Day three, Helms Crag and Grasmere

Started by Nick Pedley · · Last activity · 1 post · 116 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 March 2007
Last activity
28 March 2007
Original author
Nick Pedley
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
116
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It was now Tuesday 20th March and I was suffering ever so slightly from
    ascending and descending The Old Man of Coniston the previous day (and just
    maybe the several drinks in the pub that evening too!). So I decided for a
    nice easy low level stroll into Grasmere with the possibility of a ridgewalk
    which included a few Wainwrights etc.

    Heading out from the hostel at High Close I walked through the garden which
    must be pretty in the summertime but right now was purely nicer than the
    road which I had to rejoin briefly. As the road heads down to Grasmere I
    took the signed path on the left (NY 340057) which at one time must have
    been the direct route over to Elterwater. As I headed down I spotted a
    gravestone high up in the trees on the hillside and a gate interestingly
    titled Nicholas Wood. Being curious as to who this Mr Wood was, I opened the
    gate and wandered up to find that the stone was actually a memorial marker
    recording that the land was donated to the National Trust in memory of
    someone else, the trees historically being named Nicholas Wood.
    Unfortunately, I have no picture of this.

    Into Grasmere where I browsed the bookshop and newsagent for half an hour
    but then realised it was gone 11o'clock so I had to hurry up and get on to
    the hillwalking. The road took me out to Easedale and past the houses at NY
    327085 I found the signed path to the top of Helm Crag. Somewhere on the way
    up I left the path and followed a sheep track next to a wall which still
    took me to the top by a shorter but much steeper route.

    At this point I should explain that the skies were fairly clear but the
    winds were still strong with gusts of up to 40mph predicted. As I cleared
    the lee of the hill this became apparent and I had to stop several times to
    get my balance. The top of Helm Crag is very rocky with a few high outcrops,
    Lion and the Lamb. I scrambled to the highest point, held on for dear life
    against the wind and smacked my hand down on the top to claim it.
    One day I shall return to stand on the top!

    By this time it was getting darker with clouds and colder and my legs were
    tired so I chose to head back to Grasmere by dropping down into Easedale to
    pick up the path back the way I'd come. As I neared the bottom tragedy
    struck.

    Having left the steep rocky path I was then on a grassy slope and the
    melting snows had the streams trickling again so I was using my walking
    poles for steadiness. The inevitable happened and my feet slid forward down
    the hill while the top half of my body stayed horizontally still but dropped
    vertically. In short I landed on my [censored] in a puddle. Worse though, my left
    knee screamed in agony and there was a sharp cracking sound from under
    me.......

    I sat there for a second feeling slightly shocked as I tried to assess my
    situation. My leg was hurting, my poles were tangled with my feet and I was
    getting a wet backside. This was not good. I investigated with my left hand
    and discovered just how bad things were. My walking pole had snapped!
    As I stood up my knee stopped hurting as it untwisted and I was soon back on
    the main path to Brimmer Head Farm which in turn lead me back to the
    signpost I'd previously seen for Helm Crag. In the wall by the large gate is
    a smaller gate with a sign for Poets Walk. I followed this and found lots of
    daffodils.....

    The gardens of Lancrigg House were very popular with the poets who came to
    stay at the house in the 1840s including Dorothea Wordsworth, to whom there
    is a plaque on a rock. The landscaping by Sir John Both-Richardson is well
    done and ideal for a quiet read with what must have been good views of
    Grasmere. It was here that William Wordsworth wrote many of his works
    including that most famous one of 'wandering lonely as a cloud'.

    Anyway, from Lancrigg I went back to Grasmere, bought some rare James Bond
    books in a bric-a-brac shop and had a pint in a pub where the only available
    food available at 3.30pm was tomato and coriander soup. Undaunted, I sat in
    a quiet corner and supplemented the pub crisps with my own corned beef
    sandwiches!

    Instead of going back to the hostel the way I'd come I followed the main
    road beside Grasmere and took the footbridge over the weir at NY 343059 and
    then back up to Loughrigg Terrace and the hostel. I got a nice shot of the
    sun setting over Silver Howe at about 6pm.

    Next time: Fairfield Horseshoe!

    Nick

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.