Another Munro/Corbett combo and another wet day walking in the clag. Forecast was good on the east, so I headed west. Met a wall of low cloud just W of Inverness. Gore Tex on at the car, but at least the wind stopped the midges. Overall is was drizzle and sometimes just cloudy so not that wet. I had saved this hill to scramble up when dry. But its turn came. And I had a good look at the N face from the photo on page 220 of the SMC's new North-west Highlands District Guidebook*. The photo shows the face well and I realised that the best scramble was probably the right edge of the normal route anyway. And so it was. Scrambled up the right edge of the cliffs. Fun, but slippy due to being wet. No view on top. Back down and up M C-d. Steep in places but fine. One big cairn! Down through 40mph winds and thick mist at the col, but a fine walk back to the car in the light rain ... Another good Munro/Corbett combo Rob
* The books is being printed just now, so not in the shops until late July/early August.
"Rob Milne" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
.
Quoted message said:
I had saved this hill to scramble up when dry. But its turn came.
And I
Quoted message said:
had a good look at the N face from the photo on page 220 of the
SMC's new
Quoted message said:
North-west Highlands District Guidebook*. The photo shows the face
well
Quoted message said:
and I realised that the best scramble was probably the right edge of
the
Quoted message said:
normal route anyway. And so it was. Scrambled up the right edge of the cliffs. Fun, but
slippy
Quoted message said:
due to being wet. No view on top.
Sounds similar to the day we did it. Steady rain and wet rock. Partner Frank had somehow left his boots at home so did the climb in a pair of Merrell trainers with gaiters on, very strange ! We went pretty much straight up from the little Lochan nestling between MCD and AR-S. Good fun on the slabs but slippy.