Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Touring with a Miyata 600 GT?

Started by daphne · · Last activity · 4 posts · 4,622 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
23 June 2010
Last activity
24 June 2010
Original author
daphne
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,622
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I've been on the hunt for a reasonably priced touring bike for my upcoming trip from NYC to Montreal. Went to a few local bike shops and found a couple of what seem to be nice bikes... I know very little about the range of bikes that are out there, and I'm trying not to get ripped off, so I'm posting here!

    There's a Miyata 600 GT (1990?) equipped with front and rear racks, 21 spd, going for $599.00 as a consignment sale. I'm really liking the look of the bike, but it's so far out of my original budget... I'm thinking of trying to talk them down, but how far down would make the buy worthwhile? $500.00?

    There's a Georgena Terry Gambit on Craigslist that I'll be able to go see on Saturday if neither of these other bikes work out. That one's going for $350.00.
    Georgena Terry Gambit (ACE)

    There was also a bright pink italian roadbike (also fairly recent) which was just as light if not little lighter than the Miyata, but alas I've forgotten the name already, and I'll need to go back/call to get the brand. It started with an "M" and ended... "o"? It was also $599.00 but could also possibly be talked down... I'll post the brand when I get it.

    I'm not familiar with any of these bikes, so any advice on which is the best deal, keeping in mind I'll be touring 400 miles on it?
    Thanks!

  2. The pink road bike is a Mangusta 3000. Not sure about the italian bit now that I hear the name, but it was a nice looking bike... $599

  3. daphne said:

    So I've been on the hunt for a reasonably priced touring bike for my upcoming trip from NYC to Montreal. Went to a few local bike shops and found a couple of what seem to be nice bikes... I know very little about the range of bikes that are out there, and I'm trying not to get ripped off, so I'm posting here!

    There's a Miyata 600 GT (1990?) equipped with front and rear racks, 21 spd, going for $599.00 as a consignment sale. I'm really liking the look of the bike, but it's so far out of my original budget... I'm thinking of trying to talk them down, but how far down would make the buy worthwhile? $500.00?

    There's a Georgena Terry Gambit on Craigslist that I'll be able to go see on Saturday if neither of these other bikes work out. That one's going for $350.00.
    Georgena Terry Gambit (ACE)

    There was also a bright pink italian roadbike (also fairly recent) which was just as light if not little lighter than the Miyata, but alas I've forgotten the name already, and I'll need to go back/call to get the brand. It started with an "M" and ended... "o"? It was also $599.00 but could also possibly be talked down... I'll post the brand when I get it.

    I'm not familiar with any of these bikes, so any advice on which is the best deal, keeping in mind I'll be touring 400 miles on it?

    FWIW. Of the three, sight unseen, I would recommend you choose the TERRY.

    Of the other two, I think $250 is the most either is probably worth ... probably, less.

  4. Thanks for the reply, I ended up picking up a Cannondale T 700 for $220 from craigslist. I think it's the best of the deals I've seen so far. The bike looks a little worse for wear (I think it was in a wreck and remarkably lived) but I'm very happy with it!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.