Road Cycling · Public discussion

Touring bike build ?s

Started by Yellowstone Yeti · · Last activity · 4 posts · 399 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
4 November 2004
Last activity
5 November 2004
Original author
Yellowstone Yeti
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
399
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been in the market for a new bike. About 80% of the time I'll be
    using it for fitness rides of 20-65 miles on pavement. The rest of the
    time for fully loaded touring, both paved and dirt roads. I've been to
    the lbs and ridden a Bianchi Volpe and a Surly Xcheck, both of which
    fit me well in a size 58.

    Now, for the ?s...

    They also have a couple of 2002 Jamis Aurora frames-a 57 and a 59. I'm
    thinking of buying a frame and building it myself. They want $125 for
    the NOS frames. First of all, will an Aurora fit my needs? Secondly,
    am I better off getting the slightly smaller 57 or the larger 59?
    Thirdly, I'm wondering if I can build the bike for less than I can buy
    the new Volpe, Xcheck or a Long Haul Trucker. I would want 105 sti
    shifters with deore or lx competing the (8sp) drivetrain, 36 spoke
    wheels and the rest with whatever I can find cheap. I'm thinking about
    $550 for the build. Does this sound reasonable? Am I close in my
    guess? Or do I buy the 2003 volpe for $700 or one of the Surlys for
    $850?

    Lastly, can I even use the 9sp 105 shifters with an 8 sp drivetrain?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Yellowstone Yeti said:

    I've been in the market for a new bike. About 80% of the time I'll be
    using it for fitness rides of 20-65 miles on pavement. The rest of the
    time for fully loaded touring, both paved and dirt roads. I've been to
    the lbs and ridden a Bianchi Volpe and a Surly Xcheck, both of which
    fit me well in a size 58.

    Now, for the ?s...

    They also have a couple of 2002 Jamis Aurora frames-a 57 and a 59. I'm
    thinking of buying a frame and building it myself. They want $125 for
    the NOS frames. First of all, will an Aurora fit my needs?

    _ If a Volpe or CrossCheck works for you an Aurora should be just
    fine if not better since it has more of a touring geometry than
    a cyclocross one. I suspect it would be a better choice for
    what you want to do.

    Quoted message said:

    Secondly,
    am I better off getting the slightly smaller 57 or the larger 59?

    _ IMHO, you are better off getting the tallest frame you can
    stand. Mostly because this allows you to get the handlebars
    high enough. There is no advantage to a smaller frame. You
    should also check that they are both measuring center to center
    or center to top.

    Quoted message said:

    Thirdly, I'm wondering if I can build the bike for less than I can buy
    the new Volpe, Xcheck or a Long Haul Trucker.

    _ Highly unlikely, unless you already have the parts in your
    garage it is almost always cheaper to buy all the parts together
    already on the bike and replace the one or two things you don't
    want with the ones you do.

    Quoted message said:

    I would want 105 sti
    shifters with deore or lx competing the (8sp) drivetrain, 36 spoke
    wheels and the rest with whatever I can find cheap. I'm thinking about
    $550 for the build. Does this sound reasonable?

    _ Not really. The brifters alone are going to be $200. Crank and
    BB $100, wheels at least $150, deraillers $50, rear cassette $25,
    chain $15, tires $40, headset $30. Those are all pretty low
    guesses and you still don't have brakes, saddle, pedals, seatpost
    and bar and stem.

    Quoted message said:

    Am I close in my
    guess? Or do I buy the 2003 volpe for $700 or one of the Surlys for
    $850?

    _ Those are both pretty good deals IMHO, does the LHT come as a
    complete bike now or are you talking about the X-check? Just
    go to someplace like www.bikeman.com, put all the components
    in a shopping cart and check the price. You can't get the
    components on either of those bikes for anywhere near the
    retail price of the whole thing.

    _ Building bikes is fun if you enjoy that kind of thing and it
    allows you to get exactly what you want, but it doesn't save
    money. If you just want to get out and ride that $700 volpe
    is probably the best deal.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQYp6Y2TWTAjn5N/lAQGouQQAvKSAN0jyEjwCURckAKX3zzb+DLZjIj3M
    LhWii+AND7MEwckqMP9Xt7VEL7NQLjaHJd4BJRGAQC253DvmnPNIG9Im6FvSMnL1
    SgDZ7fXHTvPGhX1Konm0BaS9F/W+sqhznwEGH7C0ME07UbZibrLrhmph7LBQ5Rgs
    o5dFTJmQjlA=
    =qa+A
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  3. Yellowstone Yeti said:


    They also have a couple of 2002 Jamis Aurora frames-a 57 and a 59. I'm
    thinking of buying a frame and building it myself. They want $125 for
    the NOS frames.

    I have a 2004 Aurora (purchased fully-built-up) that is fabulous.

    Quoted message said:

    First of all, will an Aurora fit my needs?

    I'd say yes, definitely.

    Quoted message said:

    Secondly, am I better off getting the slightly smaller 57 or the larger
    59?

    My take on this is that you should get the larger one, given that the 58cm
    in the other brands fit you. If possible, perhaps you could try built-up
    Auroras in the two sizes (might double-check the geometry hasn't changed).

    AFAIK people typically buy bikes that are too small.

    Quoted message said:

    Thirdly, I'm wondering if I can build the bike for less than I can buy
    the new Volpe, Xcheck or a Long Haul Trucker.

    Depends on your source of parts. Are you doing the labor? Are you sure you
    won't make any mistakes in purchasing or building (expensive)?

    8 speed is probably not worth the savings. Just go 9sp.

    Big caveat: Typically it is a bad idea to build a bike from parts to save
    money. There are too many ways that it can backfire. If you're building it
    from parts because you want to build it from parts, then by all means
    proceed. But don't do it just to save money.

    Any good shop will swap parts if you want to upgrade before buying (e.g.
    you wanted 105, but the Auroura comes with Tiagra (which is just fine
    IMO)), typically for the difference in part cost unless it's a complicated
    swap.

    HTH

    Reid

  4. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Booker C. Bense said:


    Quoted message said:

    Secondly,
    am I better off getting the slightly smaller 57 or the larger 59?

    _ IMHO, you are better off getting the tallest frame you can
    stand. Mostly because this allows you to get the handlebars
    high enough. There is no advantage to a smaller frame. You
    should also check that they are both measuring center to center
    or center to top.

    _ One thing I forgot to mention is that you should check
    the top tube dimensions closely as well. If the 59 has
    a significantly longer top tube than the 58 you're
    comfortable on, then you'll have a hard time getting
    a good fit. Really, top tube length is probably more
    important and much harder to correct after the fact
    than seat tube length. I doubt there will be much
    difference between a 58 and 59, but it's something
    to check.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    P.S. You might check around some, I've seen new
    built up Aurora's for as low as $600 on the web.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQYrKU2TWTAjn5N/lAQGFVwP+MqarJwHK+NPigPWGNdqgVHBSB3OUNV0E
    G7iYbvi1suKjCF3yuaSP7+elICFMX+qYDdWLWUJYNEt2QengvaZGbZe0bgjoHglr
    o3S+6AsDMO5DrjZ5BW1jxZrSbCm/XsiblLblGM7EXrcelDXAVbdhDsmQtvG09HS2
    0uMH3/ABmi8=
    =pF6c
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.