Tough Love Spinerval and calories burned

RobinfromBoston

Nov 9, 2004
Just purchased a Polar F6 HRM a week ago. Tonight I pedaled with Coach Troy and completed the Tough Love DVD and did most of the video at 90% of my MHR. The calorie count feature on the Polar read only 1500 calories after more than 3 hours on the trainer. I realie there are many factors in figuring out calories spent but this seemed awfully low to me. Do I deserve a slice of chocolate cake post workout???

I have a cheaper HRM which seemed to read almost double the calories. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Robin

IME, calorie counters underestimate considerably actual calories burned. I've used Polar, Sports Instruments, and Computrainer's calorie counter. I've also been lab tested. For example, per lab results at 135bpm I'm burning ~19cals/minute (~1140/hr). IIRC, those calculators would've put me in the 700-800cals/hr range. Furthermore, to illustrate the inaccuracy of Computrainer's counter for instance, I did an indoor time trial this past weekend where my average HR for almost an hour was 170. The CT said I burned 1143cals during that 59m39s TT. According to my lab results at that HR I'm burning 100% carbs at rate of ~27.5cals/minute or ~1650cals/hour.

Very rough estimate only...

RobinfromBoston said:
Do I deserve a slice of chocolate cake post workout???
After 3 hrs on the trainer? Absolutely. Enjoy a small one. :)

After a workout your body *needs* those carbs to replenish itself.

RobinfromBoston said:
I have a cheaper HRM which seemed to read almost double the calories. Any thoughts?
2 slices of cake? :D

The calorie counts are approximate, even if you have your Max HR and weight set correctly in the unit. For a small-ish rider, 500 kcal/hr seems reasonable for a ride of that length.

frenchyge said:
After 3 hrs on the trainer? Absolutely. Enjoy a small one. :)

After a workout your body *needs* those carbs to replenish itself.

2 slices of cake? :D

The calorie counts are approximate, even if you have your Max HR and weight set correctly in the unit. For a small-ish rider, 500 kcal/hr seems reasonable for a ride of that length.
LOL....I liked the cheap POS monitor that doubled my calories. I checked the HRM with my glasses on this morning and it was closer to 1600. Guess that's good enough for me.

3 hours on the trainer!!! :eek:
What was the workout like? A good mix of drills?

tonyzackery said:
IME, calorie counters underestimate considerably actual calories burned. I've used Polar, Sports Instruments, and Computrainer's calorie counter. I've also been lab tested. For example, per lab results at 135bpm I'm burning ~19cals/minute (~1140/hr). IIRC, those calculators would've put me in the 700-800cals/hr range. Furthermore, to illustrate the inaccuracy of Computrainer's counter for instance, I did an indoor time trial this past weekend where my average HR for almost an hour was 170. The CT said I burned 1143cals during that 59m39s TT. According to my lab results at that HR I'm burning 100% carbs at rate of ~27.5cals/minute or ~1650cals/hour.

Very rough estimate only...
Very interesting and a HUGE difference between the two, huh? I like your figures better so I'm splitting the difference between the two HRM's. I worked much too hard for only a measly 500 caloiries burned per hour:)

RobinfromBoston said:
Very interesting and a HUGE difference between the two, huh? I like your figures better so I'm splitting the difference between the two HRM's. I worked much too hard for only a measly 500 caloiries burned per hour:)
:) Robin, keep in mind that body size has as much to do with calorie consumption as HR, and Tony is a pretty big guy.... (see pics)
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showpost.php?p=3879993&postcount=3

mattyb said:
3 hours on the trainer!!! :eek:
What was the workout like? A good mix of drills?
It's all tempo work but you are working at just below your LT for the entire 3 hours. It is tough but great training for endurance riders. Coach Troy does mix it up alot and the time goes by somewhat quickly....especially if you do it when you first get up in the morning an aren't fully awake yet:) Although most of the workout is done using a moderate gear inch, he does break it up with some really fast spinning in low gears and incorporates enough high gear work to gain some strength. (And to **** you off I think.) It's one of my favorite indoor workouts....long enough to be of benefit to you but not so long as to make you go stark raving mad like the Hardcore 100 will. Yes...you actually ride a century on a spinner. I've done it about 3 times in the past year; it's about 5hrs and 35 minutes long and much too long if you've got a life to lead.

ah sounds good!
could never do the hardcore 100 but maybe maybe do this one if the weather is bad enough for long enough

cheers :)