UK and Europe · Public discussion

Toucan crossings, must cyclists stop at red?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 480 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 September 2007
Last activity
14 September 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
480
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,
    There are a couple of toucan crossings I use fairly regularly in
    Edinburgh. When I'm on my bike I wait for the "green cycle" to show
    before crossing, but if I were on foot I wouldn't need to.

    What's the legal position, here? The highway code seems to suggest
    that if the crossing is cycles only then you MUST stop but appears to
    stop short of that for toucans.

    Quote:

    Crossing the road

    64: Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount
    and wheel your cycle across.

    65: Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow
    cyclists and pedestrians to cross at the same time. They are push
    button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal
    together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

    66: Cycle-only crossings. Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road
    may be linked by signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST
    NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing.
    TSRGD reg 36(1)

    EndQuote

    I read that as an exception proving a rule... am I wrong?

    Cheers,
    W.

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    What's the legal position, here? The highway code seems to suggest
    that if the crossing is cycles only then you MUST stop but appears to
    stop short of that for toucans.

    Yes, it does not seem totally clear re. riding over a toucan on the
    shared path.
    Since in all other cases light signals at highway junctions must be
    heeded by all vehicles, it would seem logical that the same applies on
    a toucan.

    This adds to my suspicions of toucans as tending towards treating us
    as a subclass of pedestrian.

    Quoted message said:


    Quote:

    Crossing the road

    Quoted message said:


    65: Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow
    cyclists and pedestrians to cross at the same time. They are push
    button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal
    together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

    66: Cycle-only crossings. Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road
    may be linked by signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST
    NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing.
    TSRGD reg 36(1)

    EndQuote

    I read that as an exception proving a rule... am I wrong?

    Cheers,
    W.

  3. [email hidden] wrote in news:1189518041.000157.25370
    @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,
    There are a couple of toucan crossings I use fairly regularly in
    Edinburgh. When I'm on my bike I wait for the "green cycle" to show
    before crossing, but if I were on foot I wouldn't need to.

    What's the legal position, here? The highway code seems to suggest
    that if the crossing is cycles only then you MUST stop but appears to
    stop short of that for toucans.

    The answer you seek is at
    http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/39/article13.html

    But the short answer is its advisory only on Toucans.

    --
    Tony

    " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    Bertrand Russell

  4. Quoted message said:

    Hi,
    There are a couple of toucan crossings I use fairly regularly in
    Edinburgh. When I'm on my bike I wait for the "green cycle" to show
    before crossing, but if I were on foot I wouldn't need to.

    I seem to recall at traffic lights you have to stop at the
    solid white line, or red sign at the side. If there is no
    line or sign you can ignore them. Of course if you have an
    accident you will be deemed at fault.

    Quoted message said:

    What's the legal position, here? The highway code seems to suggest
    that if the crossing is cycles only then you MUST stop but appears to
    stop short of that for toucans.

    Quoted message said:

    65: Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow
    cyclists and pedestrians to cross at the same time. They are push
    button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal
    together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

    66: Cycle-only crossings. Cycle tracks on opposite sides of the road
    may be linked by signalled crossings. You may ride across but you MUST
    NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing.
    TSRGD reg 36(1)

    Rule 65 refers to crossings that look like a pedestrian
    crossing, with a extra red and or green bolt on bike light
    symbols next to the pedestrian light symbols. These don't
    (usually) have a white line to stop at, so you should be
    able to cross if it is clear.

    Rule 66 refers to crossings that have a proper set of
    traffic lights (1) facing the cyclist waiting to cross,
    and a solid white line. They often also have lane markings
    on the approach.

    Of course local councils are bound to mix them up, and
    devise there own variations.

    (1) red amber and green, going through the proper traffic
    light sequence. One of more of these lights may be a bike
    symbol.

  5. Martin Dann said:

    Rule 65 refers to crossings that look like a pedestrian
    crossing, with a extra red and or green bolt on bike light
    symbols next to the pedestrian light symbols. These don't
    (usually) have a white line to stop at, so you should be
    able to cross if it is clear.

    Rule 66 refers to crossings that have a proper set of
    traffic lights (1) facing the cyclist waiting to cross,
    and a solid white line. They often also have lane markings
    on the approach.

    I went past (well, through) the crossings again today. There are
    actually three on the route in question, two of which seem to be
    rule-65 crossings and the other a rule-66, though thinking back I
    can't actually be certain which category one of them fell into, which
    doesn't bode well.

    Confusion seems inevitable...

    Cheers,
    W.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.