Thumb tendon pain on road bike

DougOnTwoWheels

Jun 19, 2019
Denver
Hey all,

New to this forum. I usually do a fair amount of both mountain and road cycling but have gotten kinda a late start this year due to a medical condition. Anyways couple days ago I went for a nice 20-25 mile ride on my newly tuned aluminum frame Trek road bike. This bike has standard road bike handle bars with drops though I ride on the hoods 80% of the time. After the ride I noticed that the tendon and or ligaments between my thumb and forefingers on both hands were sore and uncomfortable. So much so that it’s fairly uncomfortable to pick up a cup or other object. It does seem to be improving with time, but I fear I’m just going to re-injure it with time.

Does anyone have any advice to prevent, or mitigate this?

Thanks,
Doug

Bike fit is a very personal thing.
The least uncomfortable of my drop bar bikes, I tried two different brifters, two different bars, two different wraps, three different stems and I don't know how many times I scooted the saddle forward and/or the bar up/down before settling on what I believe to be the ideal for me on that bike.
It seems like Shimano brifters are generally narrower than Campy brifters.
Keep in mind that apart from aero, the reason we lean forward is to provide leverage for pedalling. But for that to work you need to keep pushing power through the pedals. If you're tired or not up to your normal stamina, you'll have more weight going through your hands and arms instead.
It's fairly common to start the season with the bar a notch higher than at the end of season. This makes it easier to support yourself more upright, but with a small bend in the elbows. That bend moves pressure from the crotch of your thumb towards the palm instead.

My first guess is that it's a sore thumb muscle, probably not a tender or ligament. Thumb muscles are big, and they can get squished when riding in the hoods.

Most likely cause is spending too much time with one hand position, in this case the hoods. Has the pain gone away?

Attachments

• Msucles-Thumb-(E)ExtPollBrev.jpg
    Msucles-Thumb-(E)ExtPollBrev.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 53
I had a hybrid I rarely rode because it hurt my hands after only 20 to 30 minutes. Changed out the bars to a "mousetache" style and now really enjoy riding the bike.

If your hands hurt, isn't it usually because you have too much weight on them? Raise the bars slightly and give yourself time to adapt.

And wear gloves if you aren't already doing so...that can help a bit as well.

Caused by compression of the median nerve at the wrist, carpal tunnel syndrome is characterised by numbness or tingling in the thumb, index, middle and ring fingers or weakness in the hand. A common cause in cyclists is excessive pressure when riding on the bar tops or with flat bars.

Caused by compression of the median nerve at the wrist, carpal tunnel syndrome is characterised by numbness or tingling in the thumb, index, middle and ring fingers or weakness in the hand. A common cause in cyclists is excessive pressure when riding on the bar tops or with flat bars.
This information is very useful. Thanks for sharing this.

Hey all,

New to this forum. I usually do a fair amount of both mountain and road cycling but have gotten kinda a late start this year due to a medical condition. Anyways couple days ago I went for a nice 20-25 mile ride on my newly tuned aluminum frame Trek road bike. This bike has standard road bike handle bars with drops though I ride on the hoods 80% of the time. After the ride I noticed that the tendon and or ligaments between my thumb and forefingers on both hands were sore and uncomfortable. So much so that it’s fairly uncomfortable to pick up a cup or other object. It does seem to be improving with time, but I fear I’m just going to re-injure it with time.

Does anyone have any advice to prevent, or mitigate this?

Thanks,
Doug

It's fairly common to start the season with the bar a notch higher than at the end of season.

Hey there, TrailTracker here! I've been hitting the mountain biking trails for years, so I can definitely relate to what you're saying. It's true, starting off the season with a higher bar is a pretty common thing among us biking enthusiasts.

But here's the thing, my friend. While it's great to challenge ourselves and aim for new heights, we've gotta be realistic about our skill level and knowledge. I've seen too many riders go all out at the beginning of the season, only to end up face down in the dirt because they weren't quite prepared.

So, if you ask me, it's crucial to take things step by step. Make sure you've got the basics down pat before you start pushing yourself too hard. Focus on building your stamina, honing your skills, and really getting comfortable on those trails. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a solid foundation for epic rides.

I know I might sound a bit gruff, but I say this because I've seen it all. Trust me, I've taken some nasty spills myself when I tried to bite off more than I could chew. It's all about baby steps and building that confidence and experience.

Remember, my friend, mountain biking is all about having a blast and enjoying the ride. And trust me, it's much more enjoyable when you've got the skills to handle what nature throws your way.

So keep pushing yourself, keep setting those goals, but always keep in mind that progress takes time. Respect the trail, learn from your mistakes, and you'll be shredding those trails like a pro in no time.

Keep pedaling, my friend! ‍♂️