UK and Europe · Public discussion

They made me feel good

Started by Martin 'MSeries' Newstead · · Last activity · 3 posts · 312 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 July 2004
Last activity
18 July 2004
Original author
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
312
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In the last 20 miles of my 71 mile ride this morning, the same ride that I
    described two weeks ago, but with no rain today, I caught two other
    cyclists. It was on the A62 leaving Huddersfield. I thought I'll let them go
    on the hills after Cooper Bridge especially after they were talking about
    their own KOM competition, which seems to have sliding rules. Anyway I got
    trapped at the lights at the start of the first climb,they hopped onto the
    pavement - tut tut. On the green I cruised up to the last rider, his mate,
    his brother actually, was a couple of lengths ahead, I was feeling OK,
    struggling less than the guy in front of me so I cruised on up to the lone
    break. He explained the points system, if he got first place over the climb,
    I took second he'd draw level with his brother setting up a showdown on the
    final climb. I duly obliged by staying half a length behind though he
    decided where the line was !. I wasn't on the rivet. The final climb is one
    that I am not familiar with so I was unsure of what would happen. The sign
    said 12.5%, I hung back to let them set the pace, they were both fighting
    their easiest gears, on the steepest part I was able to sail past them,
    thankfully the gradient relented a little and I was able to recover, I saw
    the stronger of the two coming back at me so I pressed a little harder and
    managed to keep my lead to the top.

    Its not often I get to pass other riders on climbs, cheers guys you made me
    feel good today.

    Martin

  2. "Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    I hung back to let them set the pace, they were both fighting

    Quoted message said:

    their easiest gears, on the steepest part I was able to sail past them,
    thankfully the gradient relented a little and I was able to recover, I saw
    the stronger of the two coming back at me so I pressed a little harder and
    managed to keep my lead to the top.

    Only thing is, once you've gone past you can't look behind, so you've got to
    keep up the heightened pace for ages not knowing if they are just behind you
    or far away in the distance. You've then got to hope for a right turn, so
    you have an excuse to look over your shoulder ;-)

    --
    Simon M.

  3. Simon Mason said:

    "Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    I hung back to let them set the pace, they were both fighting

    Quoted message said:

    their easiest gears, on the steepest part I was able to sail past
    them, thankfully the gradient relented a little and I was able to
    recover, I saw the stronger of the two coming back at me so I
    pressed a little harder and managed to keep my lead to the top.

    Only thing is, once you've gone past you can't look behind, so you've
    got to keep up the heightened pace for ages not knowing if they are
    just behind you or far away in the distance. You've then got to hope
    for a right turn, so you have an excuse to look over your shoulder ;-)

    --
    Simon M.

    I know what you mean, I did look back as I didn't really want to blow these
    guys away, just wanted to toy with them. I wasn't at my max and I didn't
    really want to get to it - I'd covered over 60 miles by this point over some
    long (>5miles) climbs. I was confident that I was stronger than these guys,
    their gears were fairly high and they weren't pedalling very efficiently on
    the easy bits. They looked the part though.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.