General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TheDavid^TM's Patent-Free White Fish Chowder

Started by David O'Lantern · · Last activity · 1 post · 560 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 December 2003
Last activity
16 December 2003
Original author
David O'Lantern
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
560
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [Warning: the dish discussed herein is NOT kosher or halal.]

    I call this "White Fish Chowder" not only because it utilizes white-fleshed fish -- in this case
    fillets of whiting (y'know, that stuff Baltimorons know as "Lake Trout" when it's breaded in
    assorted moldy crumbs, deep-fried in used 10W-30 and served with complementary ptomaine), purchased
    on sale from my local Winn Dixie -- but also because it's made with milk rather than tomato paste
    (in which case I'd call it "_Red_ Fish Chowder_"😉. I realize that y'all damn Yankees might have
    another regional appellation you'd rather slap on, which I defy you to, yet I myself ain't got
    sufficient pro-Southroner or pro-Lewisvillain regional jingoism to bestow on this recipe of mine
    anything but a strictly descriptive description. I also realize it's possible to be too descriptive,
    so I ain't caling this "White White Fish Fish Chowder" unless I'd put out one calling for, say,
    tomato paste and whiting ("Red White Fish Fish Chowder"😉 or, e.g., milk and salmon ("White Red Fish
    Fish Chowder"😉, and so forth and etc.

    That said, I'll proceed tell you how I made it.

    First, I never learned how to cook correctly; even my scrambled eggs turn out differently every
    time. This necessarily imposes an improvisational aspect to my cooking that would make a Free Jazz
    player whap me with his cornet if I compared it to his art. Hence for those who can cook right, the
    key to replicating my results in your own kitchen is probably slight brain damage, a hangover, and
    moderate caffeine intoxication. (It works for me!) Or I should say more of those than you would have
    anway: maybe being whapped with a brass instrument really would help.

    To start with, I read a few recipes on line for a general idea -- "fish, milk, potatoes, etc., okay"
    -- since I'm short on things like patience and a printer. Then I verified that I had potatoes (I
    found two, of medium size) and milk (yep, I like it in coffee) and that the fish hadn't gotten too
    greenish while sitting in the fridge for two days (it looked okay to me), and then I was off.

    After washing the old potting soil off the potatoes, I diced them irregularly and threw them
    offhandedly into a pan of salted water on the stove, which I then remembered to turn on. Then,
    because the last "model" recipe I saw called for browned salt pork (that I didn't have) and sauteed
    onions (which I couldn't find), I dug out the Country Jowl Bacon I bought at the Flea Market and
    half- cooked a few strips of that, which I then tossed in the crockpot I aimed to assemble the
    finished product in, and in the resulting half-inch of smoking grease I slopped around some hacked-
    up garlic and dried red pepper I'd crumbled up a bit, then I tossed that in the crockpot with the
    pork product.

    Then, while the potatoes boiled away, I seared the fillets of unbreaded Lake Trout in the still-
    smoking and now spiced-up fat, figuring it couldn't hurt it in any way I'm likely to recognize and
    that, like boiling the potatoes beforehand, it would shorten the general cooking time a bit. (Bet
    you'd've never figured out why I did those things if I hadn't told ya, eh?) Then, when the fish was
    about half-done and sorta beige, I hauled it out onto a paper plate (for flavouring and ease of
    cleanup) to scrape the meat off the skin, then tossed the resulting shreds of half-raw fish flesh
    back into the skillet (under which I'd turned off the burner) to sit quietly while I wrapped up the
    fish skin in the paper plate and threw that in the plastic bag I them dumped one of the ferrets'
    litterboxes into and disposed of that. (Then I washed my hands!) Then, upon sliding the crockpot
    closer to me so it might be a little harder to make a huge additional mess, I then combined the half-
    fried fish and half-boiled potatoes (including the water from the latter) in that and turned it on
    Low while I went rooting around in the cabinets for evaporated milk -- of which I only found one
    small can, which had expired three years and a half years ago but still looked okay to me when I
    opened it and sniffed at it before dumping it into the crockpot with the other stuff. While I was
    doing that I found an onion after all, which I sauteed in fish essense and butter before adding that
    too to the crockpot.

    Then I rummaged around the kitchen and living room for some additional spices and seasonings: I
    found "Italian Seasoning" I'd gotten for 33 cents at Walgreens two years ago, a bottle of chili-
    powder stuff I'd mixed up myself from various items, and some black pepper I'd bought for 33 cents
    from Walgreens about three years ago; into the crockpot a palm-full of each of those item went.

    Then my vegetarian girlfriend got home, said "You're cooking fish!", and after I complained that I
    hadn't found enough milk of the kind the recipes I had glanced at called for quickly found me a 12-
    ounce can of evaporated milk that I then dumped half of into the crock pot and turned it on High. If
    it looks like it needs more milk later I'll pour more in; if I'd used a little less water to half-
    boil the potatoes I'd've simply used the 2% I cool my coffee with and not bothered with any of this
    canned stuff, by the way; I'm sure there's plenty of lipidacious goop in there from the fish and
    pork and butter. I can almost feel my arteries narrow more just thinking of it.

    SO. It seemed prudent to post this sort-of recipe before I'd actually eaten any of it, so I can't
    tell youse yet whether this turned out to be even fit for human consumption or not. I suppose we'll
    see eventually somehow, won't we.

    --
    "You better understand that you're alone -- a long way from home."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    (C) `TheDavid^TM' 2003 | David, P.O. Box 21403, Louisville, KY 40221

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.