Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

The Courier Mail - Adventure - Doing the city cycle

Started by ghostgum · · Last activity · 5 posts · 740 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
5 May 2006
Last activity
8 May 2006
Original author
ghostgum
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
740
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. escape.news.com.au0,9142,18910060 5002900,00.html

    Doing the city cycle

    By Martin Buzacott
    April 22, 2006

    HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.

    Ahead of me lay two months of constant travel to all of Australia's state capitals, interviewing veterans of the ABC for a book that I'm writing on the national broadcaster.

    With moths flying out of my wallet before even leaving Brisbane, I reviewed my first day's schedule of meetings, which consisted of six appointments in five different Melbourne suburbs, some 15km apart.

    By my frantic mental arithmetic, that amounted to an additional $150 in cab fares that day alone, and it wasn't much less if I hired a car and paid for petrol and parking.

    Within the day's tight time-frame, buses, trains and trams weren't an option, either.

    At home in Brisbane I regularly cycle for fitness and pleasure, so doing business by bike made sense both financially and in terms of lifestyle.

    By hiring hybrids (a cross between mountain and road bikes) I could go just about anywhere on the bikeways that Australia's local authorities have been building in recent years.

    In the end I cycled more than 1500km through all five of Australia's interstate capitals.

    ...

    [follow link for rest of article]
    http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

  2. Sounds as though you need a Brompton or a Bike Friday to take on your
    travels, then you can ride to and from the airports as well. . . :-)
    Although any bike in a box travels for the same price these days, they are a
    lot quicker to get on the road.

    "ghostgum" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

    Doing the city cycle

    By Martin Buzacott
    April 22, 2006

    HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to
    Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.

    Ahead of me lay two months of constant travel to all of Australia's
    state capitals, interviewing veterans of the ABC for a book that I'm
    writing on the national broadcaster.

    With moths flying out of my wallet before even leaving Brisbane, I
    reviewed my first day's schedule of meetings, which consisted of six
    appointments in five different Melbourne suburbs, some 15km apart.

    By my frantic mental arithmetic, that amounted to an additional $150
    in cab fares that day alone, and it wasn't much less if I hired a car
    and paid for petrol and parking.

    Within the day's tight time-frame, buses, trains and trams weren't an
    option, either.

    At home in Brisbane I regularly cycle for fitness and pleasure, so
    doing business by bike made sense both financially and in terms of
    lifestyle.

    By hiring hybrids (a cross between mountain and road bikes) I could go
    just about anywhere on the bikeways that Australia's local authorities
    have been building in recent years.

    In the end I cycled more than 1500km through all five of Australia's
    interstate capitals.

    ..

    [follow link for rest of article]
    http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

    --
    ghostgum

  3. On 2006-05-05, ghostgum (aka Bruce)

    Quoted message said:

    [follow link for rest of article]
    http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

    Gah, Melbourne's bike hire sounds pretty embarrasing.

    --
    TimC
    Vodka, barbeque, pizza, beer - which is essential for the post-modern coder?
    "You are forgettink caffeine, comrade." -- Pitr Dubovich/User Friendly

  4. ghostgum said:

    http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

    Doing the city cycle

    By Martin Buzacott
    April 22, 2006

    HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to
    Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.

    Ahead of me lay two months of constant travel to all of Australia's
    state capitals, interviewing veterans of the ABC for a book that I'm
    writing on the national broadcaster.

    With moths flying out of my wallet before even leaving Brisbane, I
    reviewed my first day's schedule of meetings, which consisted of six
    appointments in five different Melbourne suburbs, some 15km apart.

    By my frantic mental arithmetic, that amounted to an additional $150
    in cab fares that day alone, and it wasn't much less if I hired a car
    and paid for petrol and parking.

    Within the day's tight time-frame, buses, trains and trams weren't an
    option, either.

    At home in Brisbane I regularly cycle for fitness and pleasure, so
    doing business by bike made sense both financially and in terms of
    lifestyle.

    *cough* *choke* *splutter*

    Are you sure this is from the Courier Mail ? ;o)

    If my life incorpoated travel like that it'd be a Bike Friday / Brompton
    time for sure.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ __@
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

  5. ghostgum said:


    http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

    Doing the city cycle

    By Martin Buzacott
    April 22, 2006

    HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to
    Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.


    <snip>
    Hey cool, now I know how much it'd cost to get from my place to the
    airport by taxi, without actually having to do it...

    Tam

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.