That tired feeling in your legs where does it come from ? I am wondering about this because of recent changes in my performance on a 8 minute climb I like to ride in my area. At the start of the season I actualy had to get off the bike at one point during the climb and my HR went close to 192 (my MAX HR). Now climbing the same hill this week, my HR is much lower around 168.
The only thing I notice is that now I can climb the hill and my cardio feels real nice and breathing is easy and regular, but my legs feel real tired during the climb it seems I cannot push them anymore even if my cardio capability seems to be able to?
Now this tired leg feeling where is it coming from? What is causing this feeling? Have I been neglecting something during training?
Originally posted by redstorm Have I been neglecting something during training?
I could be very wrong, so dont quote me!
But it seems you have neglected hills! You just dont have the hill strength in your legs. You could be a better athlete on paper, because you have trained more,etc..
But I understand it as you cardio and heart rate has no problems and its just your leg strength.
I was like this too. When I started cycling, the limiting factor for me was my heart and lungs, ie I was constrained from going faster by my inability to take in oxygen in sufficient amounts! Now the thing that constrains me is leg pain, ie controlling the lactic acid build up. You therefore need to aim to increase your lactate tolerance threshold. To do this you need to do steady rides at or above your LT threshold (or time trial). I think you'll find that this subject is covered in (expert) detail in other threads.
Thanks for the information. I saw many posts and threads that discuss Lactate Threshold. The only problem I've had is that since this sensation is new to me, it is'nt easy to determine exactly what is going on! Now I can start adding a little something to my training to take care of the LT :-)
good points.. try to figure out your limiting factor. This time it looks like your leg power. Try to do some weight training, during cycling try to reach high speeds on hills and go like hell on flat sometimes. This will improve your type II fibers that means power.
I run on treadmills during off-season. I do some marathon programs and able to complate 26.2 miles under 3 hours. when I get my bike I can go very long at good averages but can not climb fast, can not sprint and very bad TT times.. after 2-3 weeks it seems ok then I can push hard again..