Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Test rides for a new bike

Started by Billy Maston · · Last activity · 4 posts · 718 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
18 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Billy Maston
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
718
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want to upgrade from a MTB to a good road bike.

    My question is, is it possible to test ride a good road bike
    ? Do shops in general let you test ride a new bike, and what
    about the pedals, are they just standard ones, or is there
    drama with having shoes clippless ones ????

    I just want to feel what a good road bike goes like before I
    make the change, and to see if I like it, as I have never
    ridden a road bike, its always MTB's.

    Bill

  2. Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by Billy Maston
    My question is, is it possible to test ride a good road bike

    Generally, yes. Take in a driver's license (urgh) and most shops
    will let you test ride their bikes. You should be serious about it.
    Shops are obviously going to be a bit wary of Joe Blogs rocking
    up in flannies and wanting to ride their $13k LE Madone...

    Pedals could be anything. If you have a pedal system, take in
    your shoes and see if they will swap pedals. You might just ride
    in flat soled shoes on whatever pedals they have fitted - depends
    on how busy the shop is I guess.

    Quoted message said:

    I just want to feel what a good road bike goes like before I
    make the change, and to see if I like it, as I have never
    ridden a road bike, its always MTB's.

    Explain that to them. Also, do you have any mates with road
    bikes? What budget are you looking at and where are you -
    people might be able to suggest test-ride-friendly shops...

    hippy

  3. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:19:22 +1000, Billy Maston wrote:

    Hi Billy,

    Quoted message said:

    I want to upgrade from a MTB to a good road bike.

    My question is, is it possible to test ride a good
    road bike ?

    IME most shops will let you ride any bike around the block,
    if the weather's fine and the road is dry, but that's it.
    Otherwise you have to make do with a trainer (holds the bike
    upright and offers resistance to the back wheel with a
    roller). That demonstrates the bike's fit, when adjusted
    properly, but not its handling, of course.

    Quoted message said:

    Do shops in general let you test ride a new bike, and what
    about the pedals, are they just standard ones, or is there
    drama with having shoes clippless ones ????

    Since you don't have any cleated shoes, they should be
    willing to put pedals with toe clips on for you. These are
    still standard on some low-end road bikes (e.g. the Giant
    OCR3), so you might try such a bike first. Avoid anything
    really cheap with a steel frame. Since you can already ride
    your MTB with regular shoes, you'd presumably get clipless
    pedals and cleated shoes if you decided to get a road bike.

    Quoted message said:

    I just want to feel what a good road bike goes like before
    I make the change, and to see if I like it, as I have
    never ridden a road bike, its always MTB's.

    Well, you probably won't like it at first, simply because
    the riding position is much less upright and more extended,
    and the handling is much more sensitive. Until you learn to
    keep your back straight and relax your upper body, it'll
    probably make you ache a bit, too.

    Because of your aerodynamic riding position and the narrow,
    thinner tyres, any road bike will be much faster than a MTB
    for the same effort. Increasing price gets you relatively
    subtle improvements in smoothness, lightness and the
    drivetrain, even though they're blown out to religious
    proportions in groups like this :-)

    Good luck!

    --
    bpo gallery at www4.tpgi.com.aubpo

  4. hippy said:
    Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by Billy Maston My question is, is it
    possible to test ride a good road bike

    Generally, yes. Take in a driver's license (urgh) and most
    shops will let you test ride their bikes. You should be
    serious about it. Shops are obviously going to be a bit
    wary of Joe Blogs rocking up in flannies and wanting to
    ride their $13k LE Madone...

    Pedals could be anything. If you have a pedal system, take
    in your shoes and see if they will swap pedals. You might
    just ride in flat soled shoes on whatever pedals they have
    fitted - depends on how busy the shop is I guess.

    Quoted message said:

    I just want to feel what a good road bike goes like before
    I make the change, and to see if I like it, as I have
    never ridden a road bike, its always MTB's.

    Explain that to them. Also, do you have any mates with
    road bikes? What budget are you looking at and where are
    you - people might be able to suggest test-ride-friendly
    shops...

    hippy

    --

    Pedals are an issue but most shops will have some crappy
    platforms to use. Generally, clipless pedals get scratched
    as soon as you use them so don't expect them to let you ride
    on some nice new Look pedals.

    If you're in Melbourne, Cecil Walker have a couple of
    trainers you could jump on. I'm not sure if they'd let you
    ride out on the street though.

    Freedom Machine have a smallish space out hte back where you
    can ride their bikes.

    It's a good idea to trawl some bike shops and find one you
    like, talk to them about your requirements and budget and
    when they know you're serious, your chances of a test ride
    will improve.

    --
    Nick

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.