Cycling Training · Public discussion

Tacx Real Life Video vs. structured intervals trainer sessions

Started by Thom_y · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,352 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
14 February 2007
Last activity
14 February 2007
Original author
Thom_y
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,352
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have yet to try my friend's Tacx Fortius, but I know he loves it. He says is he is able to stay on for hours riding the real life videos through the Alpes and Pyrennes. I am tempted to try, but worry I may want one too.

    On the other hand, I have been focusing on doing various 45-120 minute Spinervals and CTS interval DVDs on my Cycleops fluid trainer. I make them more bearable by blasting my favorite music on my stereo as background. My question is which approach would have a greater training value, a long session using one of the Tacx Real Life videos riding through the 'mountains' or the shorter, structured interval sessions on Spinervals or CTS.

    Thanks for your opinions.

  2. Thom_y said:

    I have yet to try my friend's Tacx Fortius, but I know he loves it. He says is he is able to stay on for hours riding the real life videos through the Alpes and Pyrennes. I am tempted to try, but worry I make want one too.

    On the other hand, I have been focusing on doing various 45-120 minute Spinervals and CTS interval DVDs on my Cycleops fluid trainer. I make them more bearable by blasting my favorite music on my stereo as background. My question is which approach would have a greater training value, a long session using one of the Tacx Real Life videos riding through the 'mountains' or the shorter, structured interval sessions on Spinervals or CTS.

    Thanks for your opinions.

    Thom,

    I have an I-magic and I do both longer rides and shorter intervals.

    I have ridden 3 hours several times while doing the Alpine Classic stage. I typically do a hard tempo up the Galibier and spin down to Alp d'Huez and blast a Threshold effort to the top.

    My favorite RLV to do 2x20 Threshold work and 5x5 VO2Max work is Mont Ventoux. It has a pretty constant grade and goes pretty much forever... When I want a good hour SST, I usually ride this one as well...

    I have pretty much all of the RLV DVDs and I ridden them all, though I do have my favorites.

    For an easy spin, I typically ride the virtual world rides...

    I have found that this type of trainer has kept me on the bike during the winter months and I wouldn't give it up...

    Jim

  3. You can also take one of the RLV's and cut and paste its sections into intervals, climb repeats, etc. These multisessions are a great way to use the RLV's.

    You can listen to music while you ride too, watch a movie, whatever. And you definitely can get in one heck of an indoor workout.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.