Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Suspected bent Campag Record crank??

Started by Peter D · · Last activity · 4 posts · 505 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 September 2004
Last activity
29 September 2004
Original author
Peter D
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    Unfortunately I was in a crash in a race on Saturday.

    Initially the damage didn't seem to bad as I had slowed a bit and landed on
    the grass verge.

    My big chainring was bent outwards enough to make it unuseable. The small
    ring appeared to be OK.

    I removed my big ring and tried to true it by clamping between wood and the
    hammering with a block of wood. It is now at least rideable.

    However when I re assemble and put it back on the bike and spin the crank
    there is also a tiny blip on the trueness at the same place on the small
    ring. This area is very close to the crankarm.

    I am now very concerned that I have bent the crankarm. I don't want to waste
    money on new chainrings when I need a whole new chainset.

    I would have thought it would take a lot of force to damage a crank. Can
    anyone enlighten me as to the likelihood of this scenario??

    The chainset is 2003 10sp Record.

    Thanks
    Pete

  2. nospam-<< I would have thought it would take a lot of force to damage a crank.
    Can
    anyone enlighten me as to the likelihood of this scenario?? >><BR><BR>

    It does take a lot to bend a crank but it's not unheard of. If the crank arm
    is straight, that is, the pedal still rotates in one plane, then just use it.
    Do not try to bend anything of the crank back tho.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. If you want to isolate the problem... remove the crank arm and check
    the runout of the BB spindle .. if it runs true, then it has to be a
    problem with the crank or spider.
    I saw a bent BB spindle yesterday on a mountain bike... but it had a
    fairly long exposed length of spindle outboard of the bearing.

    charlie

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:23:00 +1200, "Peter D" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    Unfortunately I was in a crash in a race on Saturday.

    Initially the damage didn't seem to bad as I had slowed a bit and landed on
    the grass verge.

    My big chainring was bent outwards enough to make it unuseable. The small
    ring appeared to be OK.

    I removed my big ring and tried to true it by clamping between wood and the
    hammering with a block of wood. It is now at least rideable.

    However when I re assemble and put it back on the bike and spin the crank
    there is also a tiny blip on the trueness at the same place on the small
    ring. This area is very close to the crankarm.

    I am now very concerned that I have bent the crankarm. I don't want to waste
    money on new chainrings when I need a whole new chainset.

    I would have thought it would take a lot of force to damage a crank. Can
    anyone enlighten me as to the likelihood of this scenario??

    The chainset is 2003 10sp Record.

    Thanks
    Pete

  4. Charles Beristain said:

    If you want to isolate the problem... remove the crank arm and check
    the runout of the BB spindle .. if it runs true, then it has to be a
    problem with the crank or spider.
    I saw a bent BB spindle yesterday on a mountain bike... but it had a
    fairly long exposed length of spindle outboard of the bearing.

    I saw a bent BB spindle on my friend's mountain bike... the RaceFace DH BB
    spindle had yielded about 4 degrees or so... the cranks were fine.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.