Supplements that produce physiological adaptaions?

garoto

Jan 23, 2015
I know that there are some supplements that improve your race performance, but here I would like to address which supplements really help the training process, enhancing the physiological adaptations.

For example, I never take caffeine or beetjuice for training, only for races.
But would they help me if I took them before some training sessions too?

(other supplementes that I have in mind include: creatine, beta-alanine and hmb)

To be honest, I wouldn't take any of these "Pump-ups" before a race. It might just be a bad experience I had where I went out too fast and burned out quickly. However, if drinking caffeine for you works out, go ahead. Im not sure about the health benefits of this, but I would limit this type of energizer to maybe once or twice a week. Creatine is fine, as long as you are reading the proportions correctly.

Creatine could help, however what has always helped me the most was to make sure to get enough vitamins and make sure my sugar balance was in check before and often during my workouts of any kind, biking has not proven much different to me. But I often find it hard to keep hydrated...

I do one workout, the most intense workout of the week with a small caffiene bump. I am pretty sensitive to it so the amount is about 1mg/kg mass. The caffiene helps to make the repeated bouts of high intensity intervals tolerable, I can usually sustain a higher HR and workload with it. It is said to increase fat utilization and my perception of pain (knee arthritis) is lower using it.

I have heard about many positive experiences from others, but I have yet to try it myself. After seeing my brother-in-law transform in only a months time, I am greatly considering giving it a shot and will let you know how my progress goes. I'm sure you'll gain a lot of leg muscles if taking it. Caffeine, on the other hand, is iffy. You'll build a tolerance to it eventually and have less energy than you had to begin with. It won't necessarily help you gain any muscle, either, but it may potentially aid in burning a little extremely fat.

By itself caffiene will not produce adptations, but it can help with intensity and duration of training - which will produce adaptations. I abstain from caffiene on all but the one training day and the amount needed is pretty low. The way I use it I have not developed any tolerance. The HRM and power meter do show a (small) difference on my caffiene days.

I also cycle on and off with creatine, it may help but that could be all in my head.

By itself caffiene will not produce adptations, but it can help with intensity and duration of training - which will produce adaptations. I abstain from caffiene on all but the one training day and the amount needed is pretty low. The way I use it I have not developed any tolerance. The HRM and power meter do show a (small) difference on my caffiene days.

I also cycle on and off with creatine, it may help but that could be all in my head.

Reactions: blur92
maydog said:

Why do you cycle on and off with creatine rather than take it regularly every day?

I've taken caffeine during training. I've heard that it boosts performance. I didn't notice a significant difference, but I do believe that I was more energized. I wouldn't normally take it during a training session though. Caffeine tolerances develop far too easily.

I have never tried any of these and I would definitely not advise it for anyone. It seems like a very wrong thing to have before race. I do believe it is best if we just under normal circumstances

some good studies out there on biotin for energy production. Also interesting studies about athletes taking Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) before races, maybe more suited to sprints \ time trials.

Not really a supplement but coconut oil is a very good MCT source.

I am a promoter but I also use the product Limu which is an all natural drink that is super healthy and delicious. They also have an all natural energy drink called Blu Frog and Blu Frog 2 thats what I mainly drink and I love it because they are all natural, gluten free and only 50 calories. If you would like to learn more please go to my website http://www.leighstubbs.iamlimu.com and check out the different products you can even order from there and try it for yourself. If you have any questions you can contact me through the website or email me at http://[email protected] I look forward to hearing any questions or comments.

blur92 said:
Why do you cycle on and off with creatine rather than take it regularly every day?
I usually take it for a month at a time, 1 serving/scoop a day. I'll start a cycle when I feel that I need to change something up with my routine.

Caffeine definitely can have a negative side effect on an individual. But realistically it's an abundance when caffeine actually has a negative side effect on what people do and how they feel. Coming down from caffeine addiction really is horrible to be honest with you it's almost worse than quitting cigarettes. I had no idea that it was that bad but I've known some individuals that have gone through it.