Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Suntour Cyclone Cage Swap

Started by Donald Gillies · · Last activity · 4 posts · 826 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 January 2005
Last activity
13 January 2005
Original author
Donald Gillies
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
826
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Suntour Cyclone 1st generation derailleur (the one that's
    campy-like with embossed "SunTour Cyclone" on a black nubble
    background.)

    I have both a racing cyclone and I have a GT derailleur cage from
    another suntour product. I'd like to put the GT cages on the racing
    derailleur. However, upon opening lower pivot body it seems the
    spindle that attaches to the non-GT cage might be riveted. This is
    very surprising because the GT cage is clearly screwed to the spindle
    with a 2-slot recessed bolt. I expected the racing cyclone to use the
    same cage attachment as the GT cyclone.

    Has anyone done this swap, or does anyone know how to do this swap??
    Thank you.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  2. Donald Gillies said:

    I have a Suntour Cyclone 1st generation derailleur (the one that's
    campy-like with embossed "SunTour Cyclone" on a black nubble
    background.)

    I have both a racing cyclone and I have a GT derailleur cage from
    another suntour product. I'd like to put the GT cages on the racing
    derailleur. However, upon opening lower pivot body it seems the
    spindle that attaches to the non-GT cage might be riveted. This is
    very surprising because the GT cage is clearly screwed to the spindle
    with a 2-slot recessed bolt. I expected the racing cyclone to use the
    same cage attachment as the GT cyclone.

    Has anyone done this swap, or does anyone know how to do this swap??
    Thank you.

    No can do. Try this:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/cyclone.html

    (Note my tool you don't have)
    The upper roller will track better on the short model

    To service the lower pivot on a short Cyclone if you are so
    inclined:
    Remove the cage stop
    Let the spring unwind
    Remove the spring cap
    Remove the spring, noting position.
    Unscrew the cage from the pivot.
    Clean, lube reassemble.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  3. A Muzi said:

    Donald Gillies wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a Suntour Cyclone 1st generation derailleur (the one that's
    campy-like with embossed "SunTour Cyclone" on a black nubble
    background.)

    I have both a racing cyclone and I have a GT derailleur cage from
    another suntour product. I'd like to put the GT cages on the racing
    derailleur. However, upon opening lower pivot body it seems the
    spindle that attaches to the non-GT cage might be riveted. This is
    very surprising because the GT cage is clearly screwed to the spindle
    with a 2-slot recessed bolt. I expected the racing cyclone to use the
    same cage attachment as the GT cyclone.

    Has anyone done this swap, or does anyone know how to do this swap??
    Thank you.

    Quoted message said:

    No can do. Try this:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/cyclone.html

    Thanx Andrew. I was desperately looking for that "Cyclone" exploded
    diagram - I knew it must be there somewhere ! What a great reference!
    I now have 5 of these mechs !

    It turns out that I have a VxGT, and a Cyclone-Racing and wanted to
    swap the cages. After asking the question, I finally worked up the
    guts to take my channel-lock pliers onto Cyclone-Racing spindle #21 and
    squeeze like h*ll while torqueing the cage #13 away from the spindle.
    I released on my "Cyclone" cage from the spindle.

    On the Cyclone-GT, it's held onto the cage with a funny H-shaped nut on back.
    On the Cyclone , it's held onto the cage with threads into aluminum front.

    Very different attachment methods. Weird.

    Moreover, on Cyclone, bolt #21 will be UBER TORQUED from the factory.
    However, on Cyclone GT bolt #20 will be SORTA TORQUED by last guy to
    clean the pulleys. The UBER TORQUED bolt was so tight I thought it
    might have been riveted.

    I finally undid the UBER TORQUED bolt and now I can swap the cages
    among my derailleurs. The trick is just to swap bolts #20 and #21
    too. Yeah !!

    I miss cyclone stuff. Campy build quality at Shimano pricepoint with
    better performance than either !

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    P.S. would you have any #11 / #12 clamps in stock / for sale ?? I can
    always file down a weinmann brake clamp but it needs to shrink in
    absolutely every dimension to work.

  4. Donald Gillies said:

    I miss cyclone stuff. Campy build quality at Shimano pricepoint with
    better performance than either !

    Lots of it, often unused, on Ebay - in all iterations: Cyclone,
    Cyclone II, Cyclone 7000. Prices are reasonable 'cause most folk don't
    want the stuff, with the possible exception of the indexable rear der's.

    Mark Janeba

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.