Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Suggestions for a road bike for commute

Started by apodictic · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,445 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
27 June 2010
Last activity
8 July 2010
Original author
apodictic
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,445
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi there. I’m new to these forums. I am looking for advice on buying my very first road bike. I currently reside in New York City, so most of my commute to work or school involves public transportation- that of which is often slow and unreliable. Since it’s currently the summer, I thought it would be best to purchase a bike to commute around efficiently and get in some decent exercise while doing so.
    My budget at the moment is very limited (I’ll be getting my paycheck soon). The limit is around $550 - $600. I tried a test run at Bicycle Habitat today, a Surley Steamroller (bicyclehabitat.comsu...ke 45398 1.htm) and the ride was pretty smooth. However, the bike is out of my budget. I’ve been reading around and I’ve decided to look for a singlespeed/fixed-gear road bike.

    * I am 5’8.5” and my inseam is 30.5”.

    These are two options in mind:
    1) Gavin FISSO Single Speed Fixed Gear ChroMoly Steel Road Bike
    roadbikeoutlet.comsingle...gear bike.html
    2) Fuji Classic Track
    bicyclehabitat.comfu...ck 64448 1.htm

    Also, just to throw this in there: A friend of mine suggested that paying $500 for a steel frame is not worth it. Any suggestions on what material is the best (strength-wise, but won’t kill my wallet at the same time).

    Thanks.

  2. Are you really fixed on fixies? What are your reasons for going with fixies? Also, do you already own a bike or will this be your first time riding in a while?

    To answer your question about steel, there's nothing wrong with it. It's heavy for sure, which is why few road bikes are made of it anymore, but the frame provides a more comfortable ride than aluminum, which is quite stiff.

    Give a hybrid a try. I just bought my SO a 2009 Norco Roma for $500 CAD.Very comfortable to ride and it's very fast too. There are many hybrids for less than $500 that will more than meet what you would want out of them! I like hybrids for in-city riding because of the potholes, sewer grates, curbs etc and it's also easy to keep an eye on things morning around you because you're in a more upright position.

    Don't let me talk you out of a fixie, but I may try to talk you out of a road bike if this is your first one!

  3. For $500, I would want butted chromoly, even if I had to settle for a less prestigious name than Fuji. They ride better and are lighter.

    Whether it's worth it, though, depends on how far you ride and whether you're willing to use a slightly wider tire (which will affect the ride better than a butted frame but at the price of a bit more rolling resistance)-but I'm just saying for that price, I think you could get a butted Reynolds 520 bike from bikesdirect.

    They have a model which can take up to a 42mm tire. Many road bikes can't go above a 28 because it will hit the brakes or top of the fork.

  4. garage sale GT said:

    They have a model which can take up to a 42mm tire. Many road bikes can't go above a 28 because it will hit the brakes or top of the fork.

    I mean a fixed/ss with room in the frame and brakes for wide tires.

    You don't need a hybrid to get wider tires to cope with potholes & stuff.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.