On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or something?
Originally posted by Peter Lander On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or something?
On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or something? Pete (Looking north towards the Crooked Spire) mountain-mountain-Open ↗ activitysection.org.uk/mountainactivitysection.org.ukmountainactivitysection.org.ukOpen ↗ -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG" rel="ugc nofollow noopener">mailgate.orgwww.Mailgate.ORGOpen ↗
Peter, the only Chevin I know of is in Yorkshire (between Otley and Guiseley) but I don't think you mean this one, do you?
The OS 1:10,000 map shows "Butts (dis)" at SK338460 - close to the junction of footpath and bridleway to the east of the 190 trig point. Go to: magic.gov.ukviewer.htmOpen ↗ (tinyurl.comppmcOpen ↗) - and set scale to 1:3000.