Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

STI shifting and Sturmey Archer 3 speed?

Started by Andrew · · Last activity · 2 posts · 972 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 June 2003
Last activity
27 June 2003
Original author
Andrew
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
972
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking about building up an old road frame with just a three speed hub. But I find those
    Sturmey Archer trigger shift levers to be rather ponderous and unsightly. Anyone have any experience
    shifting an SA three speed with something else? I have down-tube shifters (friction and index),
    bar-cons, Grip shift, STI and Rapid Fire all at my disposal. Any suggestions? Thanks. Andrew

  2. Andrew said:

    I'm thinking about building up an old road frame with just a three speed hub. But I find those
    Sturmey Archer trigger shift levers to be rather ponderous and unsightly. Anyone have any
    experience shifting an SA three speed with something else? I have down-tube shifters (friction
    and index), bar-cons, Grip shift, STI and Rapid Fire all at my disposal. Any suggestions?
    Thanks. Andrew

    I don't know if they are still available but Sturmey Archer did have a three speed twist grip
    shifter at one point.

    I have read on the web of the modification of an index wheel to allow shifting of a hub gear, but
    can't remember where.

    Friction Shifting can be a painfull experience if you hit neutral.

    The top tube shifter from an old muscle bike might be a good conversation piece. 😉

    Marcus

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.