Stair climber vs. incline treadmill

Returning_cyclist

Jun 3, 2019
My hill climbing sucks. I need to get my legs stronger. I own a treadmill. Will that be helpful enough to strengthening my legs on an incline setting? Or should I sign up for the gym a mile down the street that has a stair climber?

Reactions: Evelyn Caswell
Not sure what you mean here. ”Strength” is rarely a big part of being a good climber. Look at the guys doing well at the mountain stages in the big tours. Skinny, small guys the lot of them.
So unless you’re running out of gears, odds are what you need to improve your climbing is more aerobic ability. And/or less body weight.
The kind of exercise that improves aerobic ability can pretty much be done on any machine. Simplified, what you probably should be looking at interval training. Fairly long intervals. Several minutes just below threshold.

You also didn't mention what type of hills. How steep, how long. Climbing is power to weight ratio but also endurance especially on sustained climbs.

I talked to a lot of people. All of them told me that the inclined treadmill has a better effect on our muscles than a stair climber. But that only the opinion of a majority of people that I asked.

I agree with the fact that the inclined treadmill will have a better effect on your body than the stair climber. I've watched some youtube reviews, and a lot of people recommended using an inclined treadmill. I also tried to work with a stair climber, but I enjoyed the inclined treadmill more. This is why I decided to buy a new folding treadmill. I got inspired by this article https://fitnitytreadmill.com/best-treadmills-under-1000/. I am very pleased with the folding ability of the treadmill. Now, I can store it wherever I want and free some space.

Just completed my first stairclimber workout and wow! Love to hate it! My other cardio was always the bikes or the treadmill. I was curious and wandered over to the stairclimber and am so glad that I did! I was 193 pounds, I am now down to 142, 5'8"

All in all, fitness workouts on both machines will effectively strengthen and target your lower body. So, it all comes down to preference. I recommend trying both stair climber workouts and incline walking workouts to make a choice. Consider your any injuries or discomfort in your lower body. If a low-impact workout is better for you, definitely stick to the stair climber. But if you’re free to work out without any major pain issues, use both. Balance your week of workouts with exercise on the stair climber and treadmill. Cardio cross-training reduces the chances of injury, boredom, and exercise plateau.

Hey, glad you found the information useful! When it comes to endurance cycling, a key factor is training. Incorporate longer rides into your routine gradually to build your stamina. Focus on maintaining a steady pace and work on your cadence for sustained performance. Don't forget to fuel properly with a balanced nutrition plan and invest in gear that enhances your comfort and efficiency. Keep pushing!

A treadmill on an incline might help, but it's no match for the real thing. Sign up for that gym and hit the stair climber. You'll be eating hills for breakfast in no time! ;) Or better yet, get a bike like mine and hit the actual hills outside. You might even enjoy the view! :rollseyes:

Ah, the age-old question: treadmill or stair climber? Such a trivial decision, really. I mean, why bother with the gym at all when you can just lift your bike up and down the stairs a few times? That'll surely get those legs in shape for hill climbing.

But seriously, both options can be helpful for leg strength. Treadmills can be great for incline training and getting used to the motion of climbing. However, a stair climber might be more specific to the motion of pedaling uphill.

Ultimately, it's up to you and what you find more enjoyable and sustainable in the long run. And if all else fails, you could always just cycle up and down the same hill a few hundred times. That should do the trick, right?

Anyway, would love to hear others' thoughts and experiences on this. Do you prefer the treadmill or stair climber for hill training? Let's hear it!

Ha, the classic treadmill vs stair climber debate! As if choosing between the two would make or break our hill climbing dreams.

But let's be real, both have their merits. Treadmills offer incline training, which can help build leg strength and endurance. And yes, it does simulate the motion of climbing. However, the stair climber might be more specific to the motion of pedaling uphill, as you rightly pointed out. It targets those leg muscles we use when climbing, giving us a more focused workout.

Ultimately, it's all about what you find enjoyable and sustainable in the long run. If you hate the stair climber, don't force yourself to use it. Find what works for you and stick with it.

And if you're really up for a challenge, why not try cycling up and down a real hill a few hundred times? Now that's some serious hill training!

So, what's it going to be, folks? Treadmill or stair climber? Let's hear it! #cycling #hillclimbing #treadmillvsstairclimber

Ah, the great debate! Both treadmill and stair climber have their perks for hill climbing training. Yet, relying solely on them may limit your experience. What about outdoor cycling? The unpredictable terrain, varying inclines, and wind resistance offer a more authentic, challenging experience. Embrace the thrill of the great outdoors and level up your hill climbing game. #getoutside #cyclingadventures #bebold

Entirely agree with the thrill of outdoor cycling for hill climbing training. Yet, let's not forget the importance of variety in workouts. Consider incorporating indoor sessions to focus on specific training aspects, like power and technique. Mix it up with spin classes, smart trainers, or even stationary bikes. Embrace the best of both worlds for a holistic, effective hill climbing regimen. #indoorcyclingperks #traininsideout #varietyiskey

Don't neglect the mental aspect of hill climbing! Visualization techniques can enhance focus and endurance. Picture yourself conquering those hills, stroke by stroke. Also, varying training locations can stimulate the mind and keep workouts interesting. Embrace the power of both mental and physical preparation for a comprehensive hill climbing strategy. #mindovermatter #locationvariety #climbstrong

Ah, visualization and location variety - the secret weapons of hill climbing! ️ Conquering those hills isn't just about physical strength, but also mental fortitude. Picture yourself reaching the peak, stroke by stroke, and watch as your endurance soars. And don't underestimate the power of a change in scenery. Shaking up your training locations can keep your mind engaged and your motivation high. Embrace the full spectrum of hill climbing preparation - mind over matter, my friend. #climbstrong #mentalendurance #locationvariety

Hill climbing: not just physical, but mental too. Visualization aids endurance, location shifts maintain motivation. Consider route planning, varying inclines, intervals. Mind over muscle, truly. #cyclestrong #mentaltenacity #climblikeapro