stable headphones for cycling?

Michael Klontzas

Guest
I am thinking about getting myself one of those Flash memory MP3 players
but I am sure the earphones will be next to useless, particularly as in
my case the usual earphones tend to fall off my ears as I ride. Any
experience of a better alternative? Huge headphones, several times the
size of the player are probably not a good idea. However, some designs
look promising (I haven't actually seen these in real life):

http://tinyurl.com/9ryzz
http://tinyurl.com/cd9w7

--
Michael Klontzas
'If everything seems to be coming your way,

Michael Klontzas wrote:
> I am thinking about getting myself one of those Flash memory MP3
> players but I am sure the earphones will be next to useless,
> particularly as in my case the usual earphones tend to fall off my
> ears as I ride. Any experience of a better alternative? Huge
> headphones, several times the size of the player are probably not a
> good idea. However, some designs look promising (I haven't actually
> seen these in real life):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9ryzz
> http://tinyurl.com/cd9w7

Not quite like either of the above two, but I got some cheapish hook type
mini headphones from an HMV shop a couple of years ago: work well on the
bike the few times I've used them. (I generally prefer not to use
headphones at all while cycling).

~PB

I wrote:
> I got some cheapish hook
> type mini headphones from an HMV shop a couple of years ago: work
> well on the bike

Make that "earphones" rather than "headphones"... although ears are on the
head. Well, at least mine are.... not a great place for them when
cycling, really.

~PB

"Michael Klontzas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am thinking about getting myself one of those Flash memory MP3 players
> but I am sure the earphones will be next to useless, particularly as in
> my case the usual earphones tend to fall off my ears as I ride. Any
> experience of a better alternative? Huge headphones, several times the
> size of the player are probably not a good idea. However, some designs
> look promising (I haven't actually seen these in real life):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9ryzz
> http://tinyurl.com/cd9w7

Main thing is not to be too cut off from the outside world and the in-ear
headphones that came with my Creative player do just that ....

For several years I used a pair of SONY MDRG63LPs for which I paid about 25
quid. They put up with all the abuse and weather of an hour's commuting per
day. When they failed (one transducer burned out ... it outlived several
cable repairs) I ripped the IR circuitry out of some full-size sennheisers
and used them without the foam pads - they looked a lot more uncomfortable
than they actually were... and were nice and leaky sound-wise.

I wasn't getting the full benefit of my fancy player so I've just taken
delivery of a pair of Sennheiser PMX 60 backband phones £22.47 inc post from
Amazon which are more comfortable than the Sonys were, sound very nice and
on first impression aren't too isolating (it specifically said in the review
that they aren't) - though I've only worn 'em once so far ... I certainly
could hear the idiot in the landrover pointlessly revving his engine behind
me .... I liked the big red headphones because it made them assume I
couldn't hear them .. maybe I'll fit flashing LEDs)

I propose to make some ear-flaps for my (proposed new) helmet to protect
them from the worst of the weather.

After 18 years of wearing headphones on the bike I'd have to wear some other
sort of earpad if I suddenly decided not to for some reason.

> --
> Michael Klontzas
> 'If everything seems to be coming your way,
> you're probably in the wrong lane'
> (Borstelmann's Rule)

Loop the wires up around the back of your ears and insert the 'phones
upside down.
I bring mine up from my back pocket and back of my head.

Robert

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:13:18 -0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> Not quite like either of the above two, but I got some cheapish hook type
> mini headphones from an HMV shop a couple of years ago: work well on the
> bike the few times I've used them. (I generally prefer not to use
> headphones at all while cycling).

Yes, I thought the general hook design was probably the way to go. At
least these will stay in place as long as my ears don't fall off.
Full-size headphones would be too much for the tiny MP3 player and the
air must cause an awful lot of noise -- not to mention the drag :)

--
Michael Klontzas
'If everything seems to be coming your way,
you're probably in the wrong lane'
(Borstelmann's Rule)

"Michael Klontzas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

8<... sony ex71's. I could never use earbuds because of the shape of my
ears, and I've never looked back since. Comfortable, supplied with three
different sized cups, and great sound quality.

HTH

Tim

Sent from Birmingham, UK timdunne at blueyonder.co.uk
'God's electrician sparked up the heavens once again, heading northbound
on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea Gilmore
Look, mum, an anorak on a bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

"Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> "Michael Klontzas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> 8<... sony ex71's. I could never use earbuds because of the shape of my
> ears, and I've never looked back since. Comfortable, supplied with three
> different sized cups, and great sound quality.

but I bet you end up being as detached from reality as the average motorist
;-)

> HTH
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Sent from Birmingham, UK timdunne at blueyonder.co.uk
> 'God's electrician sparked up the heavens once again, heading northbound
> on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea Gilmore
> Look, mum, an anorak on a bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

"gentlegreen" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]

> but I bet you end up being as detached from reality as the average
> motorist ;-)

I wouldn't wear 'em on the bike - but they're great on the train, bus,
plane, office, whilst cleaning bike etc...

Tim

Sent from Birmingham, UK timdunne at blueyonder.co.uk
'God's electrician sparked up the heavens once again, heading northbound
on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea Gilmore
Look, mum, an anorak on a bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>I wrote:
>> I got some cheapish hook
>> type mini headphones from an HMV shop a couple of years ago: work
>> well on the bike

> Make that "earphones" rather than "headphones"... although ears are on the
> head. Well, at least mine are.... not a great place for them when
> cycling, really.
>
> ~PB

Where *do* you want to place your ears when cycling then?

--
IanH

ian henden wrote:

>> Make that "earphones" rather than "headphones"... although ears are
>> on the head. Well, at least mine are.... not a great place for them
>> when cycling, really.
>>

> Where *do* you want to place your ears when cycling then?

Elbows.

~PB