Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

SRAM Spectro S7 with Rohloff dropouts?

Started by Konstantin Shemyak · · Last activity · 4 posts · 930 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 June 2005
Last activity
27 June 2005
Original author
Konstantin Shemyak
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
930
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm considering giving a try for SRAM Spectro S7 internal gear hub.
    Nowadays a frame for 26" wheels with horizontal dropouts is a rarity;
    but I can get relatively cheaply a frame with moving Rohloff dropouts.

    The question is, does S7 want dropouts to be under certain angle?
    Shimano Nexus, for example, will not work with Rohloff dropouts,
    at least not without drilling small holes so that the retaining washers
    will sit in them, because otherwise the cable will point in the
    wrong direction. In case of S7, can that clickbox be attached at
    any angle, so that I simply point the lugs downwards?

    TIA,

    Konstantin.

  2. Konstantin Shemyak said:
    Quoted message said:

    Shimano Nexus, for example, will not work with Rohloff dropouts,
    at least not without drilling small holes so that the retaining washers
    will sit in them, because otherwise the cable will point in the
    wrong direction.

    there is a whole range of different retainers available, you just have
    to order the proper ones (probably blue and green)

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. Konstantin Shemyak said:

    I'm considering giving a try for SRAM Spectro S7 internal gear hub.
    Nowadays a frame for 26" wheels with horizontal dropouts is a rarity;
    but I can get relatively cheaply a frame with moving Rohloff dropouts.

    The question is, does S7 want dropouts to be under certain angle?

    I just looked at my S7 to be sure. I don't see any reason that you
    couldn't use the S7 with the Rohloff dropouts.

    Quoted message said:

    In case of S7, can that clickbox be attached at
    any angle, so that I simply point the lugs downwards?

    It can be attached at any angle. I have horizontal dropouts, and I
    considered pointing the clickbox up and running the cable along the seat
    stay and top tube. I didn't do it because the cable routing near the
    handlebars would have been funky, but it was obviously possible.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  4. Konstantin Shemyak said:

    I'm considering giving a try for SRAM Spectro S7 internal gear hub.
    Nowadays a frame for 26" wheels with horizontal dropouts is a rarity;
    but I can get relatively cheaply a frame with moving Rohloff dropouts.

    The question is, does S7 want dropouts to be under certain angle?

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    Shimano Nexus, for example, will not work with Rohloff dropouts,
    at least not without drilling small holes so that the retaining washers
    will sit in them, because otherwise the cable will point in the
    wrong direction. In case of S7, can that clickbox be attached at
    any angle, so that I simply point the lugs downwards?

    Right. Actually, you can use _any_ hub with these dropouts. I rode my
    Thorn Raven as a fixed gear for a while before I got my own Rohloff hub.

    Even the Shimano Nexi will work, with the appropriate type of
    anti-rotation washer.

    Sheldon "Versatility" Brown
    +------------------------------------------+
    | The lower your gear, the more of your |
    | riding time will be spent going uphill. |
    +------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.