I am regular commuter 100 miles a weeks and changed my wheels about 2,300 miles ago as old ones had worn out. Mavic Open Pro rims, ultegra hub. Each 2 weeks for the past 6 weeks I have had a spoke break on the back wheel freewheel side, this is costing me time and money. Is this normal, how does this normally work. I have been commuting now for 8 years but have gradually upped my bike and spec. Perhaps one of the more experienced amongst you can help.
I am regular commuter 100 miles a weeks and changed my wheels about 2,300 miles ago as old ones had worn out. Mavic Open Pro rims, ultegra hub. Each 2 weeks for the past 6 weeks I have had a spoke break on the back wheel freewheel side, this is costing me time and money. Is this normal, how does this normally work. I have been commuting now for 8 years but have gradually upped my bike and spec. Perhaps one of the more experienced amongst you can help.
Brian
Take the wheel to an experienced and reputable wheel-builder for a look. It may require the whole wheel to be retensioned, to stop the excessive stress that is obviously affecting some of your spokes.
I responded to another thread on breaking spokes on Mavic wheels:
[font=Times New Roman]My Cannondale T2000 came with Mavic 519 36 spoke wheels. In the first few months of riding I broke 3 front spokes and over half the rear wheel spokes. Never broke a replacement spoke. I damaged the front wheel so bad that the LBS replaced the rim and all new spokes. That spring I had the rear rebuilt with all new spokes. With 10,000+ miles, I have not broken a spoke since. [/font]
[font='Times New Roman']Mavic is sure listed a lot in this thread. I heard that Mavic wheels provided to Cannondale at the time I purchased my bike had a problem with spokes breaking. Could it be that Mavic is depending on 90% of their wheels collecting dust hanging from garage rafters? When you have more than three breaks get the wheel rebuilt by professionals . [/font]
I am regular commuter 100 miles a weeks and changed my wheels about 2,300 miles ago as old ones had worn out. Mavic Open Pro rims, ultegra hub. Each 2 weeks for the past 6 weeks I have had a spoke break on the back wheel freewheel side, this is costing me time and money. Is this normal, how does this normally work. I have been commuting now for 8 years but have gradually upped my bike and spec. Perhaps one of the more experienced amongst you can help.
Brian
Just updating this thread 14 months later. Replaced spoke and retensioned everything by hand, destressed wheel. Have not had one problem since then. Nothing to do with Rim or spokes all in how the wheel was tensioned