Hi,
I have a pair of 650 Spinergy Rev X wheels on my Cannondale. They are 4 years old but haven't been used that much (mostly racing only). Recently while cornering at high speed I heard a scraping sound, like metal on metal or metal on plastic. Sounds a little bit like when your brake pads are worn right down. I can duplicate the sound at slow speed by standing on one pedal and leaning the bike way way over. Obviously side loading is causing it. Changing wheels one at a time determined it was only the front wheel. It wasn't rubbing on the frame or brakes etc. I had the bearings replaced but it still does it. There doesn't seem to be any play in the axle. What could be causing this sound? Are there other parts in the hub that may be worn or loose that could cause it? Thanks.
Rob
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Spinergy Rev X: scraping sound
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 17 November 2003
- Last activity
- 17 November 2003
- Original author
- rbm2901
- Posts
- 3
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,832
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by rbm2901
Hi,
I have a pair of 650 Spinergy Rev X wheels on my Cannondale. They are 4 years old but haven't been used that much (mostly racing only). Recently while cornering at high speed I heard a scraping sound, like metal on metal or metal on plastic. Sounds a little bit like when your brake pads are worn right down. I can duplicate the sound at slow speed by standing on one pedal and leaning the bike way way over. Obviously side loading is causing it. Changing wheels one at a time determined it was only the front wheel. It wasn't rubbing on the frame or brakes etc. I had the bearings replaced but it still does it. There doesn't seem to be any play in the axle. What could be causing this sound? Are there other parts in the hub that may be worn or loose that could cause it? Thanks.
RobI did a google on them a while back and learned they apparently have a bad habit of catastrophic failure with little or no notice. I couldn't ride with any confidence anymore after learning how badly people have been hurt. Spinergy has a return policy which I tried to honor but they weren't nice about it. I returned mine to Performance and I'm happy to be back with spokes.
Tim
-
I had a pair of the first generation model purchased as closeouts just before the "improved" hubs Rev-X's came out in '95, also on a C'dale and mine made the same noise w/ very little miles on them. Never failed on me, but sold the bike in '99 so who knows.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.