General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Spices in the spice rack

Started by Jake · · Last activity · 45 posts · 1,952 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 December 2003
Last activity
17 December 2003
Original author
Jake
Posts
45
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,952
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 45
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. JaKe said:

    I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    spices for a spice rack?

    TIA

    Herbs: Basil and/or marjoram, thyme, sage, bay leaves. Spices: peppercorns, cayenne pepper,
    cinnamon, paprika

    Jill

  2. (PENMART01) said:

    Many spices can be expensive...

    Not if you buy them at dollar stores with a high inventory turnover like I do.

  3. Quoted message said:
    JaKe the FlAke said:


    I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What are the standard spices for a spice rack?

    Salt (I prefer kosher seasalt) black peppercorns (to use in a good pepper mill...add one in your
    gift) rosemary thyme sage paprika oregano garlic powder basil curry (great for shaking on
    chicken..whole or cut up) cinnamon lemon pepper (good for fish ) seasonned salt celery salt cumin
    (my personal fav) garlic pepper bay leaves

    This is what I bought to get me started when I moved into my first place. I have added to it since.

  4. jmcquown said:

    Herbs: Basil and/or marjoram, thyme, sage, bay leaves. Spices: peppercorns, cayenne pepper,
    cinnamon, paprika

    If I were Sheldon, I would point out that those last four are not 'spices'. Three are fruits, the
    other is a tree (as well as the Bay).

    -sw

  5. lea b said:

    ... lime&chili blend I pay too much for, and use too liberally 😉


    what would the name of this be? is it a dry spice or a paste?

    your pal, blake

  6. Taffy Stoker said:
    Quoted message said:
    JaKe the FlAke said:

    I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out.


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What are the standard spices for a spice rack?


    Salt (I prefer kosher seasalt) black peppercorns (to use in a good pepper mill...add one in your
    gift) rosemary thyme sage paprika oregano garlic powder basil curry (great for shaking on
    chicken..whole or cut up) cinnamon lemon pepper (good for fish ) seasonned salt celery salt cumin
    (my personal fav) garlic pepper bay leaves

    This is what I bought to get me started when I moved into my first place. I have added to
    it since.

    Forget about seasoned salts, and do buy whole spices when you can, and grind them fresh (I use one
    of those coffee grinders with exception of my pepper mill.)

    A great place to buy (they have a high turn over rate and excellent prices, not to mention
    freshness,) is the Indo/Pakistani shops.

    Forget about these concoctions like lemon pepper; that will never beat fresh lemon zest and freshly
    ground pepper.

    Richard

    --
    "..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..."

    Hannibal "The Cannibal"

    Silence Of The Lambs 1991

  7. Taffy Stoker said:


    (PENMART01) said:

    Many spices can be expensive...

    Not if you buy them at dollar stores with a high inventory turnover like I do.

    Dollar stores can sell it cheap because they buy stuff the other stores are getting rid of because
    they are approaching their expiration date.

    nancy

  8. In rec.food.cooking said:

    On 11 Dec 2003 17:03:29 GMT, [email hidden] (PENMART01) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Many spices can be expensive...

    Quoted message said:

    Not if you buy them at dollar stores with a high inventory turnover like I do.

    But the reason they're at the dollar store in the first place is because they are old and/or
    poor quality.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  9. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:22:32 GMT, Richard Periut <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Forget about seasoned salts, and do buy whole spices when you can, and grind them fresh (I use one
    of those coffee grinders with exception of my pepper mill.)

    Coffee grinders are great for that.

    BTW I didn't buy the seasonned salts. The bf did for his chicken wings.

    Quoted message said:

    Forget about these concoctions like lemon pepper; that will never beat fresh lemon zest and freshly
    ground pepper.

    But you have to agree it is good in a pinch when you have run out of lemons and the store is closed.

  10. Nancy Young said:

    Dollar stores can sell it cheap because they buy stuff the other stores are getting rid of because
    they are approaching their expiration date.

    This store gets the spices directly from the company.

    I asked. :-)

  11. Nancy Young said:
    Taffy Stoker said:


    (PENMART01) said:

    Many spices can be expensive...

    Not if you buy them at dollar stores with a high inventory turnover like I do.

    Dollar stores can sell it cheap because they buy stuff the other stores are getting rid of because
    they are approaching their expiration date.

    The "Spice Islands" brand I see at Dollar General come right fro the distributors. Mnay drug stores
    carry the same brand as well, and for the same price. They're not inferior. Just because the other
    companies (McKormich, Shilling) *drastically* inflate their prices, doesn't mean it's better. Most
    spices don't cost nearly what the "Big Boys" charge.

    -sw

  12. Quoted message said:

    But the reason they're at the dollar store in the first place is because they are old and/or poor
    quality.

    I'm finding this discussion amusing. The most recent issue of Cooks Illustrated has an article
    comparing different kinds of Vanilla (real and imitation) side by side. They had Penzeys of course,
    and the normal grocery store kind, they also had one of those drugstore bottles you find for 1.50.

    The winner? The imitation from the drugstore. I was surprised, but I guess its one of those
    things, dont knock it till you try it. Thats not to say I'm giving up my double vanilla from the
    spice house.

    Seattlejo

  13. Taffy Stoker said:
    Richard Periut said:

    Forget about seasoned salts, and do buy whole spices when you can, and grind them fresh (I use one
    of those coffee grinders with exception of my pepper mill.)

    Coffee grinders are great for that.

    BTW I didn't buy the seasonned salts. The bf did for his chicken wings.

    Quoted message said:

    Forget about these concoctions like lemon pepper; that will never beat fresh lemon zest and
    freshly ground pepper.

    But you have to agree it is good in a pinch when you have run out of lemons and the store
    is closed.

    It's amazing the amount of junk that is sold in the supermarkets; close to 1/2 of the items I see
    are craparata at its best, and this doesn't include the various sodas (high fructose syrup) amongst
    other [censored].

    The latest are those processed, seasoned chicken meals, made for the lazy herds of people who don't
    know how to cook wholesome, in a relative short amount of time.

    If I have no fresh lemons, then I wont make anything that requires it.

    Richard

    --
    "..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..."

    Hannibal "The Cannibal"

    Silence Of The Lambs 1991

  14. Taffy Stoker said:
    Nancy Young said:

    Dollar stores can sell it cheap because they buy stuff the other stores are getting rid of
    because they are approaching their expiration date.

    This store gets the spices directly from the company.

    I asked. :-)

    They are poorer quality for sure.. yet for some they're enough.<sigh> Goomba

  15. "Seattlejo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm finding this discussion amusing. The most recent issue of Cooks Illustrated has an article
    comparing different kinds of Vanilla (real and imitation) side by side. They had Penzeys of
    course, and the normal grocery store kind, they also had one of those drugstore bottles you find
    for 1.50.

    The winner? The imitation from the drugstore. I was surprised, but I guess its one of those
    things, dont knock it till you try it. Thats not to say I'm giving up my double vanilla from the
    spice house.

    Sure, but drugstore and dollar store are two very different markets. The latter has consistently
    poor quality products for sale while the former can have both good quality and not-so-good
    quality products.

    Not only that, but herbs and spices have very different shelf lives from extracts. Extracts, IIRC,
    have alcohol which helps preserve their flavour (I'm sure someone will correct me, probably in a
    not-so-friendly way, if I'm wrong :-)). If you look at Cook's Illustrated tests for herbs and
    spices (which are what the OP was looking for), the cheaper dollar store-type products rarely if
    ever finish near the top.

    rona
    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

  16. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:28:39 -0500,
    Goomba38 <[email hidden]>
    had to open a new box of zerones to say:

    Quoted message said:
    Taffy Stoker said:
    Nancy Young said:

    Dollar stores can sell it cheap because they buy stuff the other stores are getting rid of
    because they are approaching their expiration date.

    This store gets the spices directly from the company.

    I asked. :-)

    They are poorer quality for sure.. yet for some they're enough.<sigh> Goomba

    Is condescension your only hobby...?

    <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- zenit -- --

  17. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:43:27 -0500, zenit <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is condescension your only hobby...?

    Is it just me or is there an awful lot of food *snobs* in this newsgroup?

  18. Hark! I heard zenit <[email hidden]> say:

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:28:39 -0500, Goomba38 <[email hidden]> had to open a new box of
    zerones to say:

    Quoted message said:
    Taffy Stoker said:

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:54:42 -0500, Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Dollar stores can sell it cheap because they buy stuff the other stores are getting rid of
    >because they are approaching their expiration date.

    This store gets the spices directly from the company.

    I asked. :-)

    Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're not close to expiring, just that the company has more than
    it can sell to regular retail stores.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They are poorer quality for sure.. yet for some they're enough.<sigh>

    Quoted message said:

    Is condescension your only hobby...?

    Hmph, I read this as "condensation" the first time; thought maybe Goomba was taking up
    rain making...

    --
    j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~ ..fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

  19. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:07:23 GMT, [email hidden] (j.j.)

    Quoted message said:

    Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're not close to expiring, just that the company has more than
    it can sell to regular retail stores.

    When's the last time you've seen an expiration date on a bottle of spices? I would much rather roll
    the dice with the Dollar Store than buy one of those ancient bottles from the grocery store (for 10X
    the cost).

    -sw

  20. "Taffy Stoker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Is it just me or is there an awful lot of food *snobs* in this newsgroup?

    I don't think there are many, if any, food "snobs" here. Expecting the best *quality* and *flavour*
    in food is not snobbery. To buy the most expensive foods, or particular name-brand foods, because of
    price/name would be snobbery. Just as looking down on people who do search out excellent quality
    goods is snobbery.

    If you were to do a taste-test of dollar store spices and Penzey's (for example), I doubt you would
    find them equally flavourful.

    rona

    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.