Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Some Chi Chis just aren't worth it

Started by The Nelson Para · · Last activity · 3 posts · 669 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
18 June 2004
Last activity
18 June 2004
Original author
The Nelson Para
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
669
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I thought carbon fiber headset spacers were a great idea.
    Cool looks, feathery light.

    I've come to find out, however, that these things aren't
    made to the same standards as the metal ones. They can be
    just slightly out of square and when that happens, it can
    (over time) ruin a headset.

    I randomly checked some in stock and none of them were
    completely square.

    Fortunately for me, the only ones on my bikes are decorative
    covers on quill stems (making them look like ahead stems)

    ---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
    just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
    intergalax.comintergalax.com intbike.comintbike.com
    _______
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (grisoft.comgrisoft.com). Version: 6.0.692 / Virus
    Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004

  2. The Nelson Paradigm said:

    I thought carbon fiber headset spacers were a great idea.
    Cool looks, feathery light.

    I've come to find out, however, that these things aren't
    made to the same standards as the metal ones. They can be
    just slightly out of square and when that happens, it can
    (over time) ruin a headset.

    I randomly checked some in stock and none of them were
    completely square.

    If I ever try some, I plan to buy ROUND ones!

    Bill "know what you meant" S.

  3. Quoted message said:

    I've come to find out, however, that these things aren't
    made to the same standards as the metal ones. They can be
    just slightly out of square and when that happens, it can
    (over time) ruin a headset.

    Square? All of mine have been square. Of constant wall
    thickness? Nope... never.

    Quoted message said:

    I randomly checked some in stock and none of them were
    completely square.

    I've never seen one that wasn't square. They're all of
    varying thickness throughout though...

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately for me, the only ones on my bikes are
    decorative covers on quill stems (making them look like
    ahead stems)

    Or you could just... not have them on 😉

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.