My wife I rode the Solvang Century several times about 10 years ago. We ended up crossing it off our "too-do" list because the ride had become overly familiar and we were tired of dealing with the problems inherent with the large numbers of riders this event attracts.
Recently the Solvang Prelude caught my eye.
Does anyone know if the Solvang Prelude attracts a similar number of riders, or is it a lower key event than the Solvang Century?
Thanks,
Chris Neary [email hidden]
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Chris Neary <[email hidden] > wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
My wife I rode the Solvang Century several times about 10 years ago. We ended up crossing it off our "too-do" list because the ride had become overly familiar and we were tired of dealing with the problems inherent with the large numbers of riders this event attracts.
Recently the Solvang Prelude caught my eye.
Does anyone know if the Solvang Prelude attracts a similar number of riders, or is it a lower key event than the Solvang Century?
Thanks,
Chris Neary [email hidden]
Hi Chris,
Much smaller event. Probably 1500-2000 when I rode it in 2001, and a lot of those were on the shorter route.
Another option covering much of the same turf is the People Powered Ride sponsored by the Goleta Valley Cycling Club. That has options from 25 miles (I believe) to a full century. Start is at the Firestone Winery and the Century passes through Solvang twice. Nicely supported with good food; and you can try (buy) some Firestone wine or beer to go with the post-ride BBQ ;-) Last year I think there were 700-800 folks, total, on the three routes.