So, you are thinking of going to shorter cranks. here's what i think.

Hi again to you all. A little bit of history on my choice of crank length and other topical factors.
When I first started with a serious steed at 16 years of age and it was a pre-owned 1937 19& a half inch Hetchins Vibrant Triangle (19.5 cm) 2 day Brilliant that had allegedly been used at Herne Hill - NO Badges or frame ID except the obvious one of the rear stays !!

Frame number H108 stamped on the underside of the BB shell and on the track drop-outs.

I road that frame for many many years with 170mm crank arms pushing a 108" fixed gear and a rather unusual pair of "French style" dropped bars and the obligatory single front brake.
I developed calf and thigh muscles like "Mr Universe" conducting my daily 8+ miles morning ride into Liverpool and back home at night.
I rode in all weathers including the rain,snow,fog and the infamous Smog of the day.

My treasured Hetchins was stolen by some light fingered individual and ended up being stripped of the double crown forks and hung up for sale in what was then The Liverpool Cycle Exchange in the town centre.

I got the frame back minus the forks and rebuilt the bike after the track ends were removed and replaced with road drop-outs as a road bike with a five spd derailleur gear and twin chain-rings and front and rear brakes.

The Hetchins was eventually/foolishly sold when I got married on 25th March of 1967 because of a lack of somewhere to keep it.

Attachments

• Hetchins(taken Circa 1964).jpg
    Hetchins(taken Circa 1964).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 2
Selling cherished bikes, a poignant farewell for cyclists. Yet, it's not just about the bike, but the journeys and memories that give it soul. The cycling community often refers to this as "bike separation anxiety." It's a reminder of the profound impact cycling has on our lives, shaping our experiences and identity. So, as you bid farewell to your trusted steeds, remember the adventures they've brought you and the ones yet to come. #bikecommuinity #cyclinglife #bikeseparationanxiety

Hi again to you all. A little bit of history on my choice of crank length and other topical factors. When I first started with a serious steed at 16 years of age and it was a pre-owned 1937 19& a half inch Hetchins Vibrant Triangle - Curly - (19.5 cm) but unfortunately that was stolen from my then place of work in Liverpool.
The frame minus the double crown forks turned up several months later at the Liverpool Cycle Exchange hanging on the wall behind the service counter.

After a length conversation and showing evidence that it was my frame it was returned after I mentioned bringing in the police !!

The bike was later rebuilt with a Chromed front fork and a 5spd derailleur after the track ends were removed and replaced with road dropouts and the rear stays made a little wider so that the 5spd Regina block could be accommodated and twin TA chain-rings with 175mm cranks.

I kept the bike until I got married on 25th March 1967 and then it was sold to Harry Hall Cycles in Manchester.

Attachments

• Hetchins(taken Circa 1964).jpg
    Hetchins(taken Circa 1964).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 1