Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Smallest Inner Ring w/ Campy 50-40-30 triple?

Started by ph · · Last activity · 5 posts · 587 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 June 2004
Last activity
8 June 2004
Original author
ph
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
587
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'd like to set up a Campy triple to allow high-cadence steep
    climbing. Currently the bike has 53-42-26 with 13-29 cassette. Works
    fine except for rubbing on bottom of fder for gears 26-16 and higher.
    So only about 5 sprockets are fully usable with the 26 chainring.

    So I'm going to change out crank to 50-40-30. Does anyone know how
    small of an inner ring could used and not have rubbing for, say, all
    but three smallest sprockets? I've heard 26t works fine. How about
    25t or 24t? Thanks, Paul.

  2. [email hidden] (ph) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to set up a Campy triple to allow high-cadence steep
    climbing. Currently the bike has 53-42-26 with 13-29 cassette. Works
    fine except for rubbing on bottom of fder for gears 26-16 and higher.
    So only about 5 sprockets are fully usable with the 26 chainring.

    So I'm going to change out crank to 50-40-30. Does anyone know how
    small of an inner ring could used and not have rubbing for, say, all
    but three smallest sprockets? I've heard 26t works fine. How about
    25t or 24t? Thanks, Paul.

    The answer is peculiar to your particular bike. Frame geometry (seat
    tube angle and bottom bracket drop) will affect the distance where the
    chain hits the front derailleur cage. The only way to tell is to try
    it and find out. My guess is that you'll be fine with a 24 tooth
    sprocket.

    Jeff

  3. [email hidden] (ph) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to set up a Campy triple to allow high-cadence steep
    climbing. Currently the bike has 53-42-26 with 13-29 cassette. Works
    fine except for rubbing on bottom of fder for gears 26-16 and higher.
    So only about 5 sprockets are fully usable with the 26 chainring.

    So I'm going to change out crank to 50-40-30. Does anyone know how
    small of an inner ring could used and not have rubbing for, say, all
    but three smallest sprockets? I've heard 26t works fine. How about
    25t or 24t? Thanks, Paul.

    I'm using a Campy triple 50-40-26 with a 12-25 cassette. I don't have
    any chain rubbing using the granny in any combo. Maybe your FD is
    positioned too high off of the big ring. Or maybe your chain is too
    long.

    Kenny Lee

  4. (ph) said:

    So I'm going to change out crank to 50-40-30. Does anyone know how
    small of an inner ring could used and not have rubbing for, say, all
    but three smallest sprockets? I've heard 26t works fine. How about
    25t or 24t? Thanks, Paul.

    If you use a DA 7700 front derailleur, you may be fine w/o changing to
    50/40/30. Your best front derailleur to avoid chain drag is an early
    90s, XT, XTR, DX. The pre microdrive ones.

  5. Ph said:

    I'd like to set up a Campy triple to allow high-cadence steep climbing.
    Currently the bike has 53-42-26 with 13-29 cassette. Works fine except
    for rubbing on bottom of fder for gears 26-16 and higher. So only about
    5 sprockets are fully usable with the 26 chainring.
    So I'm going to change out crank to 50-40-30. Does anyone know how small
    of an inner ring could used and not have rubbing for, say, all but three
    smallest sprockets? I've heard 26t works fine. How about 25t or 24t?
    Thanks, Paul.

    Yes, I have gone down to 24t with an old XT derailer and an N-Gear Jump
    Stop. Without the Jump Stop I seemed to overshoot the granny when I
    needed it the most. Now I am confident in the granny shift.

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.