I have a Panasonic DX-4000 that's in very good condition
with what I believe are the original Shimano 105 components
(with Biopace!). The shifters and brakes work well but I'd
like to have more than 6 speeds to choose from on the rear
and STI seems like it would be nice to have.
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to upgrade to a 9
speed setup with brifters. From what I can tell, I can keep
my brakes and I'm assuming that the front derailer can stay
but the rear might not have the range. Also, I believe I'd
have to get a new rear hub, right? So, by my estimation, I'd
need brifters, a rear hub, a rear derailer, a 9 speed chain
and a 9 speed cassette.
Anything else I'm missing?
Am I crazy for thinking of doing this?
Any general opinions on the Panasonic DX-4000?
Thanks, Beans Baxter