Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Shock (F and R) setup for 2004 Giant NRS1?

Started by Boyd Speerschne · · Last activity · 2 posts · 651 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 April 2004
Last activity
22 April 2004
Original author
Boyd Speerschne
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
651
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, I recently purchased a 2004 Giant NRS 1. I'm a little
    confused about how to set up the front and rear shocks.

    It would help if the instructions available through Giant
    and the shock's manufacturers (Fox and Manitou in this case)
    were consistent with each other, but they aren't.

    I understand that both the front shock (Manitou Skareb w/
    SPV) and rear shock (custom Fox Float w/ AVA) are air shocks
    with a correct main cylinder pressure depending on the
    weight of the rider. Then the rear shock has the AVA
    adjuster to change the volume of air in the main cylinder
    and it also has a rebound damping adjuster. The front shock
    has adjustable SPV pressure and volume in addition to its
    rebound damping adjuster.

    I guess my main question is that once I get the cylinder
    pressures correct on both shocks (a simple function of my
    weight), what is the propper step- by-step sequence in
    adjusting the rest of these settings?

    Should the cylinder volume of the rear shock (ie, the AVA
    adjustment) also be a function of my weight? How should I
    adjust this for different terrains? Or should I set it up
    once and leave it alone? What about the rebound dampening in
    the rear shock? Adjust this for different terrains or set-up
    once and leave alone.

    Then onto the front shock. How do I figure out the correct
    SPV settings? Are the SPV volume and pressure a one time set-
    up according to my weight? Or are they adjusted differently
    for different conditions? What about the shock's rebound
    dampening?

    Thanks in advance for helping a suspension newbie.

    - Boyd S.

  2. Boyd Speerschneider said:

    Hello, I recently purchased a 2004 Giant NRS 1. I'm a
    little confused about how to set up the front and
    rear shocks.

    I have the same bike (an '01), but with SID F&R shocks. What
    has worked for me is to just try different pressures and
    settings and then go ride. Take your high pressure pump with
    you for awhile and fiddle with the pressures.

    Each rider has different tastes, especially WRT
    dampening, so it's hard to make an absolute formula for
    shock adjustments - that's why they're adjustable in the
    first place.

    After getting it dialed in pretty well, I made labels and
    put them near the various valves to remind me what to
    inflate them to.

    Enjoy your new bike! Mine has been (and still is) awesome!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.