Those of you with short legs, have you changed your crank length? If so, what crank length did you go with?
Cycling Training · Public discussion
Shin length and crank length
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Training
- Published
- 1 April 2005
- Last activity
- 14 April 2005
- Original author
- cdaleguy
- Posts
- 5
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,309
- Views / 30 days
- 11
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
cdaleguy said:
Those of you with short legs, have you changed your crank length? If so, what crank length did you go with?
the one that feels the most comfortable
-
ric_stern/RST said:
the one that feels the most comfortable
Hi Ric,
Long absence for me, hope all is well...
Just say I can't try every conceivable crank length to find which is comfortable (budget and time constraints), any tips? I have a suspicion the most comfortable crank length will be the one which you currently ride for almost everyone because that crank length provides specific joint angles to which you grow accustomed due to neuromuscular adaption. Is this accurate? Is there anything else to consider in choosing crank length?
-
I guess an appropraite question would be he: How tall are you and what is your current crank arm lenght?
I'm 5'6"~ and have used 170 and 172.5 length cranks. My preferrence is definately the 172.5 length; i get far less knee pain than i used to have when i was turning the 170's.
-
cdaleguy said:
Those of you with short legs, have you changed your crank length? If so, what crank length did you go with?
I'm 5.5" and have ridden 170s for years. For a short time I attempted 172.5 but discovered that it was less effective -- harder to turn over at a faster cadence but great once I got rolling. Since I like hills, the 172.5 were not a great solution for me. If I focused on time trialing -- on the flats I'd probably move back up again.I'd highly recommend getting a good bike fit -- check out www.wobblenaught.com for very precise fitting system. It takes into account - crank length as well as seat tube angles and a significant number of body measurements -- runs it through a CAD system and comes out with a recommendation.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.