Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shimano SPD road pedal disassembly

Started by Dave · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,246 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 December 2003
Last activity
8 December 2003
Original author
Dave
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,246
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a set of Shimano SPD pedals (RC-703) that I want to regrease as they squeak. I am unsure as
    to what the way to attack it and don't want to ruin them. There is a plastic nut ajacent platform
    but doesn't budge easily. The outside end doesn't have any access.

    Here is a picture of one of them. www.doctorvision.com/pedal/pc060004.jpg

    Hope someone can help. Dave Balfour

  2. Hi Dave:

    It takes a special plastic "wrench" that goes on over the end of the threaded end of the axle. This
    wrench is clamped into a vise if possible and the pedal is then placed into the opening.

    I will try to get a picture of one for you.

    Al

  3. Dave Balfour said:

    I have a set of Shimano SPD pedals (RC-703) that I want to re-grease as they squeak. I am unsure
    as to what the way to attack it and don't want to ruin them. There is a plastic nut adjacent
    platform but doesn't budge easily. The outside end doesn't have any access.

    Quoted message said:

    Here is a picture of one of them.

    doctorvision.compc060004.jpg

    It's a bit fuzzy where it counts, but my pedals have a wavy plastic nut that looks similar and
    Shimano makes a special plastic "wrench" ring that fits it with a matching profile. Some of these
    require that the wrench is turned by a large crescent wrench to make the nut budge. You could not
    remove this nut without the tool. See your bike shop for that tool. I think they come with most
    after market pedals. Anyway, I have a couple from such purchases.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden]

  4. Dave Balfour said:

    I have a set of Shimano SPD pedals (RC-703) that I want to re-grease as they squeak. I am unsure
    as to what the way to attack it and don't want to ruin them. There is a plastic nut adjacent
    platform but doesn't budge easily. The outside end doesn't have any access.

    Quoted message said:

    Here is a picture of one of them.

    doctorvision.compc060004.jpg

    I don't think this pedal works with the special Shimano pedal wrench because it has only six flanks
    and looks like these are flat. The wrench I was considering is shown on this page:

    tinyurl.comy5d7

    Your's looks more like a tough job for a big Crescent wrench or possibly a six-point deep socket...
    if it will fit over the axle.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.