UK and Europe · Public discussion

Shimano SPD Cleat/Pedal Compatibility

Started by Learner · · Last activity · 4 posts · 5,053 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 February 2006
Last activity
3 February 2006
Original author
Learner
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,053
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Apologies if this has been done before.

    I have just purchased a set of SPD 959 pedals, and in the instructions
    it states that you MUST only use SM-SH51 or SM-SH56 cleats. Now that's
    a bit of a blow, as when I previously purchased a set of 858's (quite a
    while back now), the instructions for those stated that you MUST use
    SM-SH52 cleats. At that point I changed the cleats on all my shoes (4
    pairs) to SM-SH52 cleats. When the time came to purchase another set of
    pedals, to ensure that I didn't have to replace all the cleats again, I
    decided to go for the 858's again, only to find them replaced by the
    959s. I assumed (wrongly) that the 959s would use the same cleats.

    The question is, has anyone tried SM-SH52 cleats with 959s? If so, any
    problems? Conversely, anyone tried SM-SH51s with 858s?

    I have several bikes with a range of SPD pedals dating back over 10
    years. All of them seem fine with the SM-SH52 cleats, so I would like
    to stick with them if possible.

    Cheers,

    Mark

  2. Learner said:

    I have just purchased a set of SPD 959 pedals, and in the instructions
    it states that you MUST only use SM-SH51 or SM-SH56 cleats. Now that's
    a bit of a blow, as when I previously purchased a set of 858's (quite a
    while back now), the instructions for those stated that you MUST use
    SM-SH52 cleats. At that point I changed the cleats on all my shoes (4
    pairs) to SM-SH52 cleats. When the time came to purchase another set of
    pedals, to ensure that I didn't have to replace all the cleats again, I
    decided to go for the 858's again, only to find them replaced by the
    959s. I assumed (wrongly) that the 959s would use the same cleats.

    Right, the SH52 cleats only came with the M858 pedals, the first of the new
    open-bodied "mud shedding" designs. I can't remember the justification for
    the change, or why no other pedal in the range used them.

    Quoted message said:

    The question is, has anyone tried SM-SH52 cleats with 959s?
    If so, any problems? Conversely, anyone tried SM-SH51s with
    858s?

    I've been randomly fitting both styles of cleat to my shoes for about five
    or six years without any notable variation in engagement or release. Most
    of my pedals are 858s or 515s. I don't have any 959s.

    James Thomson

  3. James Thomson said:
    Learner said:

    I have just purchased a set of SPD 959 pedals, and in the instructions
    it states that you MUST only use SM-SH51 or SM-SH56 cleats. Now that's
    a bit of a blow, as when I previously purchased a set of 858's (quite a
    while back now), the instructions for those stated that you MUST use
    SM-SH52 cleats. At that point I changed the cleats on all my shoes (4
    pairs) to SM-SH52 cleats. When the time came to purchase another set of
    pedals, to ensure that I didn't have to replace all the cleats again, I
    decided to go for the 858's again, only to find them replaced by the
    959s. I assumed (wrongly) that the 959s would use the same cleats.

    Right, the SH52 cleats only came with the M858 pedals, the first of the new
    open-bodied "mud shedding" designs. I can't remember the justification for
    the change, or why no other pedal in the range used them.

    Quoted message said:

    The question is, has anyone tried SM-SH52 cleats with 959s?
    If so, any problems? Conversely, anyone tried SM-SH51s with
    858s?

    I've been randomly fitting both styles of cleat to my shoes for about five
    or six years without any notable variation in engagement or release. Most
    of my pedals are 858s or 515s. I don't have any 959s.

    James Thomson

    Found a table of SPD pedal/cleat compatibility on Sheldon Brown's site:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html

    Unfortunately it's not that up to date, only going as far as M747
    pedals, and not mentioning the SH52 cleats.

    Looks like the SH51 cleats will be fine with all my pedals, with the
    exception of perhaps the 858s, although your comment above suggests that
    will be fine too. Only one way to find out I suppose ...

    Thanks,

    Mark

  4. I have mixed-and-matched with no problems; but have noticed a
    difference in 'feel' during disengaging. Some 'kick' you out more than
    others. Mix of SH51 / SH55 cleats... Shim. 525 (?), Wellgo and Aldi
    pedals.

    Suck-it-and-see ?

    M.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.