Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shimano HG93 vs 7701 Chain

Started by Pistof Komrad · · Last activity · 4 posts · 668 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 May 2004
Last activity
22 May 2004
Original author
Pistof Komrad
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
668
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently purchased the HG93 9s speed chain for a beater/rain bike I built
    because I didn't want to go the extra five or so dollars for the 7701 when I
    knew that it wasn't going to last long w/the wet conditions. Surprisingly,
    this thing seems every bit as good as the more expensive 7701 in both build
    quality and shifting performance. I know what the differences are on paper,
    but what are the real-world differences? Does one chain last longer than
    the other? Does one have less friction than the other?

    Also, has anyone seriously evaluated the HG53? I wouldn't mind finding an
    even cheaper chain that's adequate.

    FWIW, I did immediately notice that the HG93 has a much lighter grease than
    the 7701/7800. The 7701's excess grease is very hard to clean off w/a rag,
    but this HG93's was a snap. I'm thinking the heavier grease will last
    longer but create more friction.(?)

    Dave

  2. no practical difference. 7701 is nickel plated, which theoretically
    means less corrosion, but it doesn't mean much on a chain that gets
    properly lubed. they're both pretty much the same quality.

    apparent grease thickness is probably a function of age. like you, most
    people buy the cheaper chain, so the expensive one sits around longer.
    consequently, more of the light elements of the grease get a chance to
    evaoporate through the cellophane wrapper. if you left the hg93 long
    enough, it too would have "thick" grease.

    hg53? yes, i've ridden those. they last just as well as the more
    expensive ones, shift just as well, so i like them. only reason i don't
    have one on a bike right now is 'cos i got a number of hg93's cheap from
    a friend, but i wouldn't hesitate to put one on a beater. or a good
    bike for that matter. and i probably will if my source dries up.

    i'm all for cheap, but don't go /too/ low. it's hard to make chain
    that's reliable - to go below that threshold is asking for problems.

    Pistof Komrad said:

    I recently purchased the HG93 9s speed chain for a beater/rain bike I built
    because I didn't want to go the extra five or so dollars for the 7701 when I
    knew that it wasn't going to last long w/the wet conditions. Surprisingly,
    this thing seems every bit as good as the more expensive 7701 in both build
    quality and shifting performance. I know what the differences are on paper,
    but what are the real-world differences? Does one chain last longer than
    the other? Does one have less friction than the other?

    Also, has anyone seriously evaluated the HG53? I wouldn't mind finding an
    even cheaper chain that's adequate.

    FWIW, I did immediately notice that the HG93 has a much lighter grease than
    the 7701/7800. The 7701's excess grease is very hard to clean off w/a rag,
    but this HG93's was a snap. I'm thinking the heavier grease will last
    longer but create more friction.(?)

    Dave

  3. dataylor-<< I didn't want to go the extra five or so dollars for the 7701 when
    I
    knew that it wasn't going to last long w/the wet conditions. Surprisingly,
    this thing seems every bit as good as the more expensive 7701 in both build
    quality and shifting performance. >><BR><BR>
    << I know what the differences are on paper,
    but what are the real-world differences? >><BR><BR>

    There are no real world advantages. \Like automotive car oil, use the least
    expensive compatible chain, keep clean, change regularly.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. "jim beam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    no practical difference. 7701 is nickel plated, which theoretically
    means less corrosion, but it doesn't mean much on a chain that gets
    properly lubed. they're both pretty much the same quality.

    apparent grease thickness is probably a function of age. like you, most
    people buy the cheaper chain, so the expensive one sits around longer.
    consequently, more of the light elements of the grease get a chance to
    evaoporate through the cellophane wrapper. if you left the hg93 long
    enough, it too would have "thick" grease.

    Really, how long is long enough, cause' I noticed that the new 7800 chain
    that came on my bike as well as the replacement one that I bought shortly
    after DA10 was released had the same heavy grease.

    Quoted message said:

    hg53? yes, i've ridden those. they last just as well as the more
    expensive ones, shift just as well, so i like them. only reason i don't
    have one on a bike right now is 'cos i got a number of hg93's cheap from
    a friend, but i wouldn't hesitate to put one on a beater. or a good
    bike for that matter. and i probably will if my source dries up.

    Well, on your advice I bought an HG53 from Nashbar today. It cost me $10.75
    +other crud +shipping +handling...

    Quoted message said:

    i'm all for cheap, but don't go /too/ low. it's hard to make chain
    that's reliable - to go below that threshold is asking for problems.

    Hopefully this inexpensive Shimano chain will work for me.

    Quoted message said:
    Pistof Komrad said:

    I recently purchased the HG93 9s speed chain for a beater/rain bike I


    built

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    because I didn't want to go the extra five or so dollars for the 7701


    when I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    knew that it wasn't going to last long w/the wet conditions.


    Surprisingly,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this thing seems every bit as good as the more expensive 7701 in both


    build

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    quality and shifting performance. I know what the differences are on


    paper,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but what are the real-world differences? Does one chain last longer


    than

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the other? Does one have less friction than the other?

    Also, has anyone seriously evaluated the HG53? I wouldn't mind finding


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    even cheaper chain that's adequate.

    FWIW, I did immediately notice that the HG93 has a much lighter grease


    than

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the 7701/7800. The 7701's excess grease is very hard to clean off w/a


    rag,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but this HG93's was a snap. I'm thinking the heavier grease will last
    longer but create more friction.(?)

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.