I'm trying to fix up my bike with a new chain and cassette.
Crank looks a little rough too. Are all shimano cranksets
compatible? Can I use an hg chain and cassette with a deore
or altus crankset? What should I look out for?
Mountain Bikes · Public discussion
Shimano hg compatible crank?
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Mountain Bikes
- Published
- 9 April 2004
- Last activity
- 9 April 2004
- Original author
- Terry
- Posts
- 5
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 518
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"terry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
I'm trying to fix up my bike with a new chain and
cassette. Crank looks a little rough too. Are all
shimano cranksets compatible? Can I use an hg chain and
cassette with a deore or altus crankset? What should I
look out for?You should be okay, as long as the chainrings and chain
match up in certain ways. For example:
- if you've got a 9speed cassette and chain and 7
speed chainrings, you're going to have trouble
shifting up front.
- if you have a 7 speeds cassette, a 7 speed chain, and 9
speed chainrings up front, you should be fine. Does that
make sense? Also, the chainrings may be smaller than the
ones your currently running. I think an LX is usually 22-32-
44, and Altus is 22-32-42. So the big ring is a little
smaller on the Altus, which could mean having to remove or
add a link to your current setup. /s -
"terry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
I'm trying to fix up my bike with a new chain and
cassette. Crank looks a little rough too. Are all
shimano cranksets compatible? Can I use an hg chain and
cassette with a deore or altus crankset? What should I
look out for?Where else have you looked for this info?
These issues have been discussed at some length in
rec.bicycles.tech.
--
Jonesy -
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
In article
<[email hidden]>,supabonbon said:
"terry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...Quoted message said:
I'm trying to fix up my bike with a new chain and
cassette. Crank looks a little rough too. Are all
shimano cranksets compatible? Can I use an hg chain and
cassette with a deore or altus crankset? What should I
look out for?You should be okay, as long as the chainrings and chain
match up in certain ways. For example:
- if you've got a 9speed cassette and chain and 7
speed chainrings, you're going to have trouble
shifting up front._ Lot's of people do this without any problems at all. It
really depends on how sensitive your index shifting and
derailler are to the absence of pins and ramps. With
friction shifting it's no problem at all._ Booker C. Bense
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2
iQCVAwUBQHbTtWTWTAjn5N/lAQHFwQQAlrlmqMQPlk4QmGKkg1FqOBBXrSl-
NiQXn I4kDx8d1Dvi9zk/X0PtyZxBVOu67//GdN7lVZsZJxx1r7RfzCdxVH-
Rd2Q8suQ7MY xiTk9chOgdfpFAd43KnvVi/w+k2cLXyynRGsp4HBfDEVewO-
TD8txO+Nl4hSZXuK8 0cpgsvQ4SRc=
=9ZjZ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE----- -
I've googled the subject, but the results were disappointing. The search
did turn up issues with hg and ig components being sometimes incompatible.
I hate to jump into a project and learn things the hard way. I'd much
rather have someone who knows point me in the right direction to start.
thanks, t
terry <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I'm trying to fix up my bike with a new chain and
cassette. Crank looks a little rough too. Are all
shimano cranksets compatible? Can I use an hg chain and
cassette with a deore or altus crankset? What should I
look out for?
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.