Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

sanding bearing cones

Started by Snippy Bobkins · · Last activity · 41 posts · 1,199 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 July 2006
Last activity
28 July 2006
Original author
Snippy Bobkins
Posts
41
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,199
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 41
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Captain Bike" <[email hidden]> queried...

    Quoted message said:


    Jim, have you ever actually _tried_ to obtain a replacement cone for a
    Bontrager hub?

    In the first place, Trek/Bontrager won't sell parts to shops that are
    not Trek/Bontrager dealers.

    In the second place, at least _some_ Bontrager labeled hubs use
    oddball, non-standard cones that are not available at any price to
    anybody.

    It's tough enough to obtain replacement cones for current model major
    brand hubs...basically forget it for off-brand and house-brand oddball
    stuff like this.

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new wheel.

    Hope I wasn't misrepresenting you. When I said you advocate replacement, I
    was referring to
    "Now that the' parts are clean, they should be carefully examined for wear.
    The cones should have a shiny track running around them where the balls roll
    against them. Examine this track very carefully to see if there are any
    irregularities or pits. A magnifying glass may be of help here. If there is
    any sign of a flaw, no matter how small, the cone should be replaced."
    under Cleaning at http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

    Thanks for taking the time to respond. Like me, this bike is Canadian
    immigrant. I got it from an LBS in PA.
    --
    Snippy

  2. Captain Bike said:

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new wheel.

    Exactly. It would be just about impossible to screw the cones up worse
    than throwing away the whole wheel. Or if the cones and hubs are
    otherwise shot there's not really anything that they could do to make
    them worse.

  3. Quoted message said:
    AndyMorris said:
    Quoted message said:


    Even assuming that the sanding worked, how expensive are new cones?

    isn't its usually the availability, not the cost?

    --
    Andy Morris

    Dear Andy,

    As far as I know, Bontrager still sells mountain bike cones, so
    they're available.

    The shop has to stock them, but that's true of spokes, tubes, tires,
    bearings, chains, and just about everything else.

    Out of curiosity, I clicked on the "Find a Dealer" at the U.S.
    Bontrager site (scroll down in the small window and you can search
    Canada and the U.K., too).

    My Pueblo zip code is 81004, a non-bicyling-oriented city 50 miles
    from the next city. (I'll be surprised if I see more than three riders
    with drop bars when I leave for my 15 mile ride in a few minutes on a
    Saturday evening.)

    http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?sid=44b979ab96ae2&ADDRESS=&POSTALCODE=81004&COUNTRY=US&STATE=CO&CITY=PUEBLO&PRODUCT=&PRODUCTFCT=&LAT=&LON=&UNITS=MILES&RADIUS=15%7C50&USECENTERPOINT=&W2GI_LASTEXTENT=-104.979479551%7C38.0206076581%7C-104.283322573%7C38.4553902668&SORTBY_Dealers=DISTANCE&START_Dealers=0&COUNT_Dealers=8&REVERSE_Dealers=FALSE&W2GI_QUICK_ZOOM=&W2GI_QFIELD=DEALERID&W2GI_QVALUE=&DISTANCE=&W2GI_DNAME=&W2GI_DADDR=&W2GI_DCITY=&W2GI_DSTATE=&W2GI_DPOSTALCODE=&W2GI_DID=&W2GI_DINDEX=&NAV_INPUT_TYPE=POINT&NAV_CMD=SCALE_ZOOM&NAV_ALLOW_RECTANGLE=0&SCALE_ZOOM=90000&client=bontrager&template=locator
    or http://tinyurl.com/hhlkq

    That may be the longest url I've seen, but it shows that the Great
    Divide bike shop is a Bontrager dealer, so they probably have parts or
    can get them instead of trying to sand damaged cones into acceptable
    shapes. They're about three miles away.

    Trying to sand a damaged cone into shape when it's available at a
    Bontrager dealer or overnight doesn't sound promising. Of course, it
    may turn out to be some part that Bontrager no longer sells, but I'll
    be startled if that's the case.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    So much for the wonders of the internet!

    I came back to use the link above and now find that "my session has
    expired" and no help.

    Sigh.

    Back to Bontrager.

    http://www.bontrager.com/Dealer_Network/Dealer_Locator.php

    Click on find a dealer.

    Put in U.S. zip code or scroll down for Canada and the UK.

    CF

  4. Captain Bike said:
    Snippy Bobkins said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just had my Bontrager MTB hubs serviced at my LBS. The guy said they
    sanded the bearing cones. I assume that is for pitting from worn bearings.
    If I wanted to do that myself, how would I go about it? By hand? What grit
    sandpaper?

    jim beam said:


    ugh. don't do it. don't go to any shop that does.

    you really need to find a better lbs - and those guys should go find
    work as plumbers.

    Jim, have you ever actually _tried_ to obtain a replacement cone for a
    Bontrager hub?

    In the first place, Trek/Bontrager won't sell parts to shops that are
    not Trek/Bontrager dealers.

    In the second place, at least _some_ Bontrager labeled hubs use
    oddball, non-standard cones that are not available at any price to
    anybody.

    It's tough enough to obtain replacement cones for current model major
    brand hubs...basically forget it for off-brand and house-brand oddball
    stuff like this.

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new wheel.

    Sheldon "Cone Replacemen Has Always Been A Nightmare In This Industry"
    Brown
    +----------------------------------------------------+
    | I reckon there's more things told than are true, |
    | And more things true than are told. |
    | --Rudyard Kipling |
    +----------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Dear Sheldon,

    Yes, cone replacement can be a nightmare.

    This is awfully hard to type, but . . .

    It sounds like the original poster needs a Bontrager dealer.

    I suppose that Ferrari or Nash owners need to find Ferrari or Nash
    dealers for parts--and even then they might be out of luck.

    But go to http://www.bontrager.com/Dealer_Network/Dealer_Locator.php

    Click on "Find a dealer" and put in 02465.

    Six Bontrager dealers are shown on the map within 11 miles of West
    Newton, half of them within 3 miles. Two of them are even what
    Bontrager calls "demo centers."

    Of course, the original poster may not be so lucky.

    I've only got one Bontrager dealer 3 miles away here in Pueblo at
    81004, but this neck of the woods hasn't been settled for quite as
    long as the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

    Let's hope the the sanded cone lasts long enough for the original
    poster to find a new cone. Few local bike shops are likely to have
    much experience at sanding damaged cones.

    I understand the other bike shop's urge to try to fix things (and
    maybe they succceeded), but I admire you more for telling a customer
    to get a new wheel instead of trying to fix a probably unfixable cone.

    Probably the best thing to do would be to send them to a Bontrager
    dealer. (And maybe the shop that's sanding cones is a Bontrager shop
    and found that no cones are to be had for love or money.)

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  5. Captain Bike said:
    Snippy Bobkins said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just had my Bontrager MTB hubs serviced at my LBS. The guy said they
    sanded the bearing cones. I assume that is for pitting from worn bearings.
    If I wanted to do that myself, how would I go about it? By hand? What grit
    sandpaper?

    jim beam said:

    ugh. don't do it. don't go to any shop that does.

    you really need to find a better lbs - and those guys should go find
    work as plumbers.

    Jim, have you ever actually _tried_ to obtain a replacement cone for a
    Bontrager hub?

    did i address the peculiarities of any particular manufacturer? my
    response is entirely regarding the engineering facts of life, i.e. that
    if it's a case hardened cone, you're pretty much committed to
    replacement, and if it's a through hardened cone, it's at best a
    temporary kludge.

    Quoted message said:


    In the first place, Trek/Bontrager won't sell parts to shops that are
    not Trek/Bontrager dealers.

    nothing peculiar about that! mercedes won't discount parts to anyone
    but a mercedes dealer - independent repair shops pay full retail.

    Quoted message said:


    In the second place, at least _some_ Bontrager labeled hubs use
    oddball, non-standard cones that are not available at any price to
    anybody.

    looks like a damned fine reason to use sealed bearings to me!

    Quoted message said:


    It's tough enough to obtain replacement cones for current model major
    brand hubs...basically forget it for off-brand and house-brand oddball
    stuff like this.

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new wheel.

    agreed, but big picture, that's not necessarily a bad thing. the
    manufacturer gets to control product quality by keeping inadequately
    "repaired" product off the road. and the cyclist isn't taking chances
    on high mileage product where the rims are wearing thin and potentially
    about to have a sidewall blowout. i know a rim is not a bearing, but
    the mileages go hand in hand.

    don't get me wrong, i go to substantial lengths to repair my own bikes,
    including replacing rims on a pair of mavic cosmos that would have cost
    more to repair than to replace if i'd had the lbs do the work, but in
    this situation, sanding cones is a neanderthal hack. it may get you
    home and even last for another month or two, but the bearing is
    essentially dead and needs to be replaced.

    Quoted message said:


    Sheldon "Cone Replacemen Has Always Been A Nightmare In This Industry"
    Brown
    +----------------------------------------------------+
    | I reckon there's more things told than are true, |
    | And more things true than are told. |
    | --Rudyard Kipling |
    +----------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote ...

    Quoted message said:


    This is awfully hard to type, but . . .

    It sounds like the original poster needs a Bontrager dealer.

    Twenty-six miles away. Could be worse.

    --
    Snippy Flom

  7. "Paul Cassel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Keiron said:
    Quoted message said:


    Too true, i concede to the fact that things certainly do need to be


    replaced

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at times when performance and saftey become issues. I was refering


    to the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    attitude that wanting to understand ideas/concepts, even if the


    result is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not logically ideal, is dismissed as irrelevant/unimportant


    especially if

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    money can be thrown at the problem as an easy solution. What then


    would be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the point in knowing anything? Also a live and let live man so


    forgive my

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    existential evangelising.


    many things which can't be repaired can be recycled. I suspect cones


    are

    Quoted message said:

    in this category.

    Bicycle hub wheel bearing cones weigh only a few grams each.

    The prices paid for scrap alloy and carbon steel is so low that high
    volume producers almost have to pay to have it carted away. Most scrap
    dealers in the US think in 40,000 lb. truck load quantities.

    So there's not value in used worn out bicycle hub wheel bearing cones.
    34% of the earth's mass is made up of iron which is the main constituent
    in steel.

    "Iron is notable for being the final element produced by stellar
    nucleosynthesis, and thus the heaviest element which does not require a
    supernova or similarly cataclysmic event for its formation. It is
    therefore the most abundant heavy metal in the universe." (From
    Wikipedia)

    Your heart may be in the right place but your suggestions don't make
    economic sense.

    Chas. ;-)

  8. "Captain Bike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Snippy Bobkins said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just had my Bontrager MTB hubs serviced at my LBS. The guy said


    they

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sanded the bearing cones. I assume that is for pitting from worn


    bearings.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I wanted to do that myself, how would I go about it? By hand?


    What grit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sandpaper?


    <sip>

    Quoted message said:

    Jim, have you ever actually _tried_ to obtain a replacement cone for a
    Bontrager hub?

    In the first place, Trek/Bontrager won't sell parts to shops that are
    not Trek/Bontrager dealers.

    In the second place, at least _some_ Bontrager labeled hubs use
    oddball, non-standard cones that are not available at any price to
    anybody.

    It's tough enough to obtain replacement cones for current model major
    brand hubs...basically forget it for off-brand and house-brand oddball
    stuff like this.

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new


    wheel.

    Quoted message said:


    Sheldon "Cone Replacemen Has Always Been A Nightmare In This


    Industry"

    Quoted message said:

    Brown

    Sheldon,

    When I ran a pro bike shop during the 70's we always kept a supply of
    hollow axles and cones to fit so that we could repair just about any
    aluminum alloy quick release hub. We sold the customer a new wheel in
    the case of steel or non QR hubs.

    Are you saying that Bontrager hubs are so non standard (read %^^*#$#&%
    junk) that no other cones will fit them???

    Thank you for you info in advance oh great sage (said with complete
    respect for your experience and reputation).

    Chas.

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    AndyMorris said:

    [email hidden] wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    My Pueblo zip code is 81004, a non-bicyling-oriented city 50 miles
    from the next city. (I'll be surprised if I see more than three


    riders

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with drop bars when I leave for my 15 mile ride in a few minutes on a
    Saturday evening.)


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Carl,

    There ain't a whole lot out there in "West Kansas" besides the bridge
    over the Arkansas River. ;-)

    I ran a shop down in New Mexico during the 70's. We used to go up to
    Durango and ride the Iron Horse Race every year. We'ed usually ride part
    of US 160 east to Pagossa Springs on the way back home.

    Pulling Wolf Creek Pass (10,850ft, 6.5% grade) has always been on my
    to-do list. I'm 62 now so I better get started before the snow comes
    in... :-)

    Chas.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] wrote:

    SNIP

    Quoted message said:

    But go to http://www.bontrager.com/Dealer_Network/Dealer_Locator.php

    Click on "Find a dealer" and put in 02465.

    Six Bontrager dealers are shown on the map within 11 miles of West
    Newton, half of them within 3 miles. Two of them are even what
    Bontrager calls "demo centers."


    snip

    If I were within 100 miles of West Newton, there is only ONE LBS to use.
    Its at 1535 Washington Street.

    Unfortunately I am 440 miles away ( by I-95 ).

    If Sheldon or Norm Shackly cannot fix it, it cannot be fixed PERIOD

    Harris Cyclery may soon be my LBS

    HAND

    YO! Scotty. Can you beam me.....🙂

  11. "* * Chas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul Cassel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Keiron said:

    >
    Too true, i concede to the fact that things certainly do need to be


    replaced

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at times when performance and saftey become issues. I was refering


    to the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    attitude that wanting to understand ideas/concepts, even if the


    result is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not logically ideal, is dismissed as irrelevant/unimportant


    especially if

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    money can be thrown at the problem as an easy solution. What then


    would be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the point in knowing anything? Also a live and let live man so


    forgive my

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    existential evangelising.


    many things which can't be repaired can be recycled. I suspect cones


    are

    Quoted message said:

    in this category.

    Bicycle hub wheel bearing cones weigh only a few grams each.

    The prices paid for scrap alloy and carbon steel is so low that high
    volume producers almost have to pay to have it carted away. Most scrap
    dealers in the US think in 40,000 lb. truck load quantities.

    So there's not value in used worn out bicycle hub wheel bearing cones.
    34% of the earth's mass is made up of iron which is the main constituent
    in steel.

    "Iron is notable for being the final element produced by stellar
    nucleosynthesis, and thus the heaviest element which does not require a
    supernova or similarly cataclysmic event for its formation. It is
    therefore the most abundant heavy metal in the universe." (From
    Wikipedia)

    Your heart may be in the right place but your suggestions don't make
    economic sense.

    Chas. ;-)


    While I appreciate the natural abundance of iron i'm sure you'll concede
    that it takes less energy to manufacture one set of cones than 2, so if
    everyone was able to maintain cones for longer (while still effective)
    lifespan then economy of scales would change. If the demand for a trillion
    units wasn't there, they wouldnt make them. I accept this is rather more
    idealised than practical but should not be lost sight of(?). I'm no
    tree-hugging luddite but "there is a code you know".

  12. * * Chas said:

    "Captain Bike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Snippy Bobkins said:

    > I just had my Bontrager MTB hubs serviced at my LBS. The guy said
    > they sanded the bearing cones. I assume that is for pitting from
    > worn bearings. If I wanted to do that myself, how would I go about
    > it? By hand? What grit sandpaper?


    <sip>

    Quoted message said:

    Jim, have you ever actually _tried_ to obtain a replacement cone for
    a Bontrager hub?

    In the first place, Trek/Bontrager won't sell parts to shops that are
    not Trek/Bontrager dealers.

    In the second place, at least _some_ Bontrager labeled hubs use
    oddball, non-standard cones that are not available at any price to
    anybody.

    It's tough enough to obtain replacement cones for current model major
    brand hubs...basically forget it for off-brand and house-brand
    oddball stuff like this.

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new
    wheel.

    Sheldon "Cone Replacemen Has Always Been A Nightmare In This
    Industry" Brown

    Sheldon,

    When I ran a pro bike shop during the 70's we always kept a supply of
    hollow axles and cones to fit so that we could repair just about any
    aluminum alloy quick release hub. We sold the customer a new wheel in
    the case of steel or non QR hubs.

    Are you saying that Bontrager hubs are so non standard (read %^^*#$#&%
    junk) that no other cones will fit them???

    Thank you for you info in advance oh great sage (said with complete
    respect for your experience and reputation).

    I was thinking the same thing. 10x1mm cones should fit almost anything. If
    it's a little longer/shorter, just get rid of the dust caps and avoid rain.
    Or buy new.

    --
    Phil Lee, Squid

  13. * * Chas said:

    Aside from possible incompetence, perhaps his LBS was like some auto
    repair places that recommend you get your "chrome muffler bearings"
    replaced! ;-)

    Ooh! You can get them in chrome?

    Mark

  14. Keiron said:

    While I appreciate the natural abundance of iron i'm sure you'll concede
    that it takes less energy to manufacture one set of cones than 2, so if
    everyone was able to maintain cones for longer (while still effective)
    lifespan then economy of scales would change. If the demand for a trillion
    units wasn't there, they wouldnt make them. I accept this is rather more
    idealised than practical but should not be lost sight of(?). I'm no
    tree-hugging luddite but "there is a code you know".

    The problem is that a refinished cone lasts essentially no time, so it's
    effectively more like 1.01 cones worth out of the 1 cone.

    Jasper

  15. Jasper Janssen said:

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:50:33 GMT, "Keiron" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    While I appreciate the natural abundance of iron i'm sure you'll concede
    that it takes less energy to manufacture one set of cones than 2, so if
    everyone was able to maintain cones for longer (while still effective)
    lifespan then economy of scales would change.

    Many bear surfaces are surface-hardened. This means that if you sand
    the bearing surface then the soft metal down below will be exposed,
    leading to a much earlier wear-out period.

    Sanding a bearing surface (or using grit and disposable bearings to
    achieve the same thing) is called "Lapping" - look it up on google to
    learn more.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  16. Captain Bike said:

    I admire the shop for attempting a repair. When I ran into this on a
    customer's bike the best I could do was tell him he needed a new wheel.

    Sheldon "Cone Replacemen Has Always Been A Nightmare In This Industry"
    Brown

    Sheldon,

    Are Shimano road cones generally interchangeable? Specifically,
    would current Shimano DA or Ultegra cones work in older RSX hubs?

    Related, are the DA or Ultegra cones superior in any way to the cones
    in RSX hubs that would make a significant difference in either
    durability or rolling resistance?

    Many thanks,

    -- Dave
    ==============================================
    "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    without the proper equipment."
    Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett
    ==============================================

  17. "pinnah" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    Are Shimano road cones generally interchangeable? Specifically,
    would current Shimano DA or Ultegra cones work in older RSX
    hubs?

    Generally (with some exceptions), no, and specifically almost certainly not.

    While many older and newer hubs have the same axle threading and ball counts
    and sizes, sealing arrangements have changed. Modern Shimano cones generally
    have an integral dust cap. In older hubs, the dust cap was pressed into the
    hub, and the cone often had a pair of sealing rings. Using newer cones in an
    older hub, one dustcap will tend to foul the other.

    Modern Dura Ace hubs also use oversized aluminium axles, so the threading
    isn't compatible with older steel axles.

    In the USA, QBP supply various types of cone:

    http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=list&searchtype=search&keywords=cone

    Wheels Manufacturing sell replacement cone kits for Shimano
    hubs, if Shimano can't supply the parts you need:

    http://www.wheelsmfg.com/downloads.php

    Another option would be to keep an eye on eBay for a hub you could
    canibalize for parts.

    James Thomson

  18. "Donald Gillies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jasper Janssen said:

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:50:33 GMT, "Keiron" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    While I appreciate the natural abundance of iron i'm sure you'll


    concede

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that it takes less energy to manufacture one set of cones than 2, so


    if

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    everyone was able to maintain cones for longer (while still


    effective)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lifespan then economy of scales would change.

    Many bear surfaces are surface-hardened. This means that if you sand
    the bearing surface then the soft metal down below will be exposed,
    leading to a much earlier wear-out period.

    Sanding a bearing surface (or using grit and disposable bearings to
    achieve the same thing) is called "Lapping" - look it up on google to
    learn more.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Needle and Roller Bearings that are used in most transportation and
    machinery applications are made from high alloy 52100 bearing steel that
    is through hardened to the mid 60's on the Rockwell C hardness scale.
    They're very hard and the bearing surfaces will generally chip or flake
    rather brinell (where the balls create indentations in the race).

    Case Hardening is a heat treating process that provides a 60Rc hard
    layer .005 to .050 (.13mm to 1.3mm) deep in the surface of the part. It
    gives a hard, wear resistant surface that can be ground and or polished
    while maintaining a tough base material which will resist cracking and
    breaking.

    Gears, shafts and some lightly loaded wear zone parts are usually made
    from 8620, 9310 or other alloy steels. Cheap parts including many
    bicycle cups and cones are made from Case Hardened 1018 Carbon Steel.
    Case hardened bearings frequently fail due to brinelling caused by
    impact that forces the balls to make indentations into the bearing
    surface of bicycle cups and cones.

    Quality ball bearings have been around for over 100 years. Loose ball
    bearing systems are very cheap to manufacture because the tolerances are
    very open versus the requirements for precision machined part to use
    sealed ball bearings.

    The manufacturing cost difference between loose ball bearings and sealed
    bearings is minimal when you weigh in labor costs for assembling the
    loose ball systems.

    Why use 100+ year old technology?

    Chas.

  19. On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:49:05 -0700, "* * Chas" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Gears, shafts and some lightly loaded wear zone parts are usually made
    from 8620, 9310 or other alloy steels. Cheap parts including many
    bicycle cups and cones are made from Case Hardened 1018 Carbon Steel.
    Case hardened bearings frequently fail due to brinelling caused by
    impact that forces the balls to make indentations into the bearing
    surface of bicycle cups and cones.

    [snip]

    Dear Chas,

    A substantial group of posters on RBT argues that the "brinelling" or
    dimpling in badly indexed headsets is due not to any impact at all,
    but to fretting, in which the lube is squished out from between the
    balls and races, which then repeatedly micro-weld and tear apart as
    the rider zooms down a long straight.

    Impact may or may not achieve the same thing (or help it along), but
    the "brinelling" effect is well-known elsewhere and is sometimes
    called "false brinelling" to distinguish impact from fretting:

    http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/services/valueadd/prevent.asp

    As Jobst has pointed out, cars transported by railway often suffered
    from this fretting/false brinelling. The cars sit still on the train,
    so their bearings never rotate to replenish their lubrication. The
    cars vibrate enough on the train that the balls squished through to
    make a metal-to-metal contact with the races, micro-welded to each
    other, and tore apart with the next vibration, eroding holes that look
    remarkably like impact dents.

    The false brinelling/fretting dimples are erosive, so they will lack
    the ring of raised metal pushed up by an impact dimple. Regrettably,
    it takes a good microscope and camera to show this.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  20. Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:49:05 -0700, "* * Chas" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Gears, shafts and some lightly loaded wear zone parts are usually made
    from 8620, 9310 or other alloy steels. Cheap parts including many
    bicycle cups and cones are made from Case Hardened 1018 Carbon Steel.
    Case hardened bearings frequently fail due to brinelling caused by
    impact that forces the balls to make indentations into the bearing
    surface of bicycle cups and cones.

    [snip]

    Dear Chas,

    A substantial group of posters on RBT argues that the "brinelling" or
    dimpling in badly indexed headsets is due not to any impact at all,
    but to fretting, in which the lube is squished out from between the
    balls and races, which then repeatedly micro-weld and tear apart as
    the rider zooms down a long straight.

    Impact may or may not achieve the same thing (or help it along), but
    the "brinelling" effect is well-known elsewhere and is sometimes
    called "false brinelling" to distinguish impact from fretting:

    http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/services/valueadd/prevent.asp

    As Jobst has pointed out, cars transported by railway often suffered
    from this fretting/false brinelling. The cars sit still on the train,
    so their bearings never rotate to replenish their lubrication. The
    cars vibrate enough on the train that the balls squished through to
    make a metal-to-metal contact with the races, micro-welded to each
    other, and tore apart with the next vibration, eroding holes that look
    remarkably like impact dents.

    they /used/ to. but the fact is, cars are still transported today in
    exactly the same way today as they were then, but that kind of damage
    doesn't occur any more. why? better metallurgy, better tribology.
    part of the reason why modern sealed bearing headsets generally don't
    index unless they've been crashed.

    Quoted message said:


    The false brinelling/fretting dimples are erosive, so they will lack
    the ring of raised metal pushed up by an impact dimple. Regrettably,
    it takes a good microscope and camera to show this.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.