Touring and recreational cycling · Public discussion

San Francisco to San Diego

Started by rtara · · Last activity · 2 posts · 2,332 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Touring and recreational cycling
Published
14 November 2003
Last activity
14 November 2003
Original author
rtara
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,332
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm planning on riding from north of San Francisco (Novato) to San Diego right before Thanksgiving. I'll try to do it in 4 days, stopping in Monterey, Guadalupe and Santa Monica. That's about 160 miles each of the first 3 days and 120 on the last day.

    I've done double centuries and centuries before but never so many miles in one trip so I am a little concerned about my fitness.

    I could use advice from any one who has done this route. In, particular, how did you deal with the weather, washed out roads, finding food and water, running out of daylight, etc.

    I'll be travelling light (credit card touring, I think they call it).

    If you live along this way and know some "can't miss" bakeries, please let me know! Those tarbars are not going to taste very good after a while.

    Robert

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by rtara
    I'm planning on riding from north of San Francisco (Novato) to San Diego right before Thanksgiving. I'll try to do it in 4 days, stopping in Monterey, Guadalupe and Santa Monica. That's about 160 miles each of the first 3 days and 120 on the last day.

    I've done double centuries and centuries before but never so many miles in one trip so I am a little concerned about my fitness.

    I could use advice from any one who has done this route. In, particular, how did you deal with the weather, washed out roads, finding food and water, running out of daylight, etc.

    I'll be travelling light (credit card touring, I think they call it).

    If you live along this way and know some "can't miss" bakeries, please let me know! Those tarbars are not going to taste very good after a while.

    Robert


    If you don't already have the maps from Adventure Cycling I suggest you get them.
    Check URLs:
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/pacificcoast.cfm?pg=detail&s=4
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/pacificcoast.cfm?pg=detail&s=5
    I have family on that route. I have ridden most of it in segments. It is beautiful along most of the uncrowded places. Gaudalupe has some nice family run Mexican restaurants. Your pace will need to be brisk and use the best of daylight hours for riding.

    Watch out for motorhomes along Route 1. The road is winding and their mirrors stand out wider than inexperienced drivers realize.
    Mount an extra light; and take and extra bulb, extra battery, extra full water bottle. At the pace you are planning you won't have time for any mechanicals. Make sure your tires, tubes, rim strips, chain, and brakes are in prime condition.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.