Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: Weekend with More at Douthat State Park

Started by Michael Dart · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,204 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
29 January 2003
Last activity
29 January 2003
Original author
Michael Dart
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,204
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In keeping with my new years resolution to get a mountain bike club going again in the Richmond
    area I spent last weekend at the board meeting of the Mid-atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts or MORE
    for short. It was held at Douthat State Park in Virginia. It is probably one of the best
    mountain bike destinations in the state. Miles of smooth buff trails built in the 1930's by the
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) nestled in a valley near Clifton Forge VA some with nearly
    2000 foot climbs.

    more-mtb.orgmore-mtb.org

    On my way out of Richmond on Friday my !#$% truck overheated (Stuck thermostat) on the first hill
    out of town. I turned back and determined to go I stopped at a rental agency to pick up a minivan
    for the trip. I arrived just in time to participate in a very interesting mountain bike board game
    brought back from New Zealand by David Scull one of the Maryland members of More, the game is called
    Karapoti after a XC race course there.

    mountainbike.co.nzthegame.html

    It was a hoot to play and nearly simulated the trials and tribulations of a XC race. It was a good
    wau for me to get to know some of the folks I hadn't met before.

    On Saturday the morning was spent in meetings, after a pancake breakfast, until about noon. Chris
    Scott the Virginia state IMBA rep and Rich Edwards former IMBA trail care crew member and now IMBA
    trail builder expert arrived then. The meeting was adjourned for lunch and a afternoon ride. We
    started off and it was a beautiful day 32deg F bright and sunny. Here is a 3D map of the park and
    the race course for the Middle Mountain Momma XC race.

    mountainbikevirginia.com3D%20momma%20map.htm

    We rode the right side of the course from the lake up to Mountain Side trail to Upper and Lower
    Brushy Hollow trail. All of which is beautiful full bench cut into the mountain side. Lower Brushy
    Hollow is one of the greatest downhill rewards for a climb that I have ever experienced in Virginia.
    It is 3.5 miles of downhill fun starting out with several tight switchbacks. You need to keep and
    eye on the trail rising up to meet you to clue you where the turn is. It then runs into a valley
    starting with some bermed turns then drops in a creek bed and just flies along with great sight
    lines, a couple quick stream crossings ending with a big compression dip you can catch air off the
    lip on. Whoooooo Hoooooo!!!!! Some of us decided to continue up Stony Run trail which crosses Stony
    Run Creek several times. The first crossing normally is a 15 foot wide water crossing. At these
    temps water is considerably stiffer than usual. I sized up the frozen crossing and decided if I kept
    my speed up I could shoot across to the gentle transition to the bank on the other side. BIG
    mistake! IRC Seracs have zero traction on ice and I went down hard. Bruised but relatively unhurt I
    tended to my bike which had a bent derailleur hanger which I tweaked back to working. Oh well.
    Shelia made a similar attempt and comically tripod-ed across the ice with one foot down. Scott made
    a similar attempt as myself against my warnings with the same result except he landed on his left
    side bruising his pride and bending his disc rotor.

    After the ride was again spent in meetings interrupted by a big pasta dinner cooked by Scott. After
    dinner I was allowed to lay out my proposal for expanding the club to Richmond which was met by much
    enthusiasm. For right now I'm to encourage Richmond area riders to join More, lead rides and do
    trailwork. Hopefully we will grow to the point to create our own chapter with the benefits of More's
    insurance coverage and tax exempt status. MORE hopes to be able to grow enough to fill the gap
    between NEMBA in New England and SORBA to the south. They are well on their way. They are currently
    situated near Washington DC and have access to many politicians who make policy for the whole
    country. People who make policy on Wilderness access and other decisions affecting our sport are
    within easy access to them. I am situated in our states capital and have access to people who make
    policy for our state. I think it will be a good fit. It just going to take working out some
    logistical details. But the internet has made the world smaller and if I can chat with some Northern
    Tosspot in England, then heck, northern Virginia isn't a far reach at all. ;^)

    Sunday weatherwise was a repeat of Saturday ( a bit warmer 34deg F) The board was finalizing details
    of the meeting, delegating responsibilities etc. I discovered Dave (who brought the game) was headed
    out for a early ride and I decided to go with him. We were joined by Shelia. We started out by a
    climb of Tobbaco House ridge trail. Then up Blue Suck Falls (Hey I don't name 'em) trail all the way
    to the falls. From there we went on down to the 'middle' trails on the mountain and back to get
    cleaned up and packed to leave.

    Pics at pbase.commore at douthat Check out the panorama. Yeah, they're old and
    worn down mountains but still beautiful.

    All in all I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Good friends, good weather, and good
    riding. I am really excited about some of the access issues in Virginia and participating in them
    in my own back yard. If any riders in Central Virginia want to join MORE feel free to email me
    direct to let me know.

    Mike

  2. "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In keeping with my new years resolution to get a mountain bike club going again in the Richmond
    area I spent last weekend at the board meeting of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Mid-atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts or MORE for short. It was held at


    Douthat

    Quoted message said:

    State Park in Virginia. It is probably one of the best mountain bike destinations in the state.
    Miles of smooth buff trails built in the


    1930's

    Quoted message said:

    by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) nestled in a valley near Clifton Forge VA some with
    nearly 2000 foot climbs.

    more-mtb.orgmore-mtb.org

    On my way out of Richmond on Friday my !#$% truck overheated (Stuck thermostat) on the first hill
    out of town. I turned back and determined


    to

    Quoted message said:

    go I stopped at a rental agency to pick up a minivan for the trip. I arrived just in time to
    participate in a very interesting mountain bike board game brought back from New Zealand by David
    Scull one of the


    Maryland

    Quoted message said:

    members of More, the game is called Karapoti after a XC race course there.

    mountainbike.co.nzthegame.html

    It was a hoot to play and nearly simulated the trials and tribulations of


    a

    Quoted message said:

    XC race. It was a good wau for me to get to know some of the folks I


    hadn't

    Quoted message said:

    met before.

    On Saturday the morning was spent in meetings, after a pancake breakfast, until about noon. Chris
    Scott the Virginia state IMBA rep and Rich


    Edwards

    Quoted message said:

    former IMBA trail care crew member and now IMBA trail builder expert


    arrived

    Quoted message said:

    then. The meeting was adjourned for lunch and a afternoon ride. We


    started

    Quoted message said:

    off and it was a beautiful day 32deg F bright and sunny. Here is a 3D


    map

    Quoted message said:

    of the park and the race course for the Middle Mountain Momma XC race.

    mountainbikevirginia.com3D%20momma%20map.htm

    We rode the right side of the course from the lake up to Mountain Side


    trail

    Quoted message said:

    to Upper and Lower Brushy Hollow trail. All of which is beautiful full


    bench

    Quoted message said:

    cut into the mountain side. Lower Brushy Hollow is one of the greatest downhill rewards for a
    climb that I have ever experienced in Virginia. It is 3.5 miles of downhill fun starting out with
    several tight switchbacks. You need to keep and eye on the trail rising up to meet you to clue you
    where the turn is. It then runs into a valley starting with some bermed turns then drops in a
    creek bed and just flies along with great sight


    lines,

    Quoted message said:

    a couple quick stream crossings ending with a big compression dip you can catch air off the lip
    on. Whoooooo Hoooooo!!!!! Some of us decided to continue up Stony Run trail which crosses Stony
    Run Creek several times. The first crossing normally is a 15 foot wide water crossing. At these
    temps water is considerably stiffer than usual. I sized up the frozen crossing and decided if I
    kept my speed up I could shoot across to the gentle transition to the bank on the other side.
    BIG mistake! IRC Seracs have zero traction on ice and I went down hard. Bruised but relatively
    unhurt I tended to my bike which had a bent derailleur hanger which I tweaked back to working.
    Oh well. Shelia made a similar attempt and comically tripod-ed across the ice with one foot
    down. Scott made a


    similar

    Quoted message said:

    attempt as myself against my warnings with the same result except he


    landed

    Quoted message said:

    on his left side bruising his pride and bending his disc rotor.

    After the ride was again spent in meetings interrupted by a big pasta


    dinner

    Quoted message said:

    cooked by Scott. After dinner I was allowed to lay out my proposal for expanding the club to
    Richmond which was met by much enthusiasm. For


    right

    Quoted message said:

    now I'm to encourage Richmond area riders to join More, lead rides and do trailwork. Hopefully we
    will grow to the point to create our own chapter with the benefits of More's insurance coverage
    and tax exempt status.


    MORE

    Quoted message said:

    hopes to be able to grow enough to fill the gap between NEMBA in New


    England

    Quoted message said:

    and SORBA to the south. They are well on their way. They are currently situated near Washington DC
    and have access to many politicians who make policy for the whole country. People who make policy
    on Wilderness access and other decisions affecting our sport are within easy access to them. I am
    situated in our states capital and have access to people who make


    policy

    Quoted message said:

    for our state. I think it will be a good fit. It just going to take working out some logistical
    details. But the internet has made the world smaller and if I can chat with some Northern Tosspot
    in England, then


    heck,

    Quoted message said:

    northern Virginia isn't a far reach at all. ;^)

    Sunday weatherwise was a repeat of Saturday ( a bit warmer 34deg F) The board was finalizing
    details of the meeting, delegating responsibilities etc. I discovered Dave (who brought the game)
    was headed out for a early ride and I decided to go with him. We were joined by Shelia. We started
    out by a climb of Tobbaco House ridge trail. Then up Blue Suck Falls (Hey


    I

    Quoted message said:

    don't name 'em) trail all the way to the falls. From there we went on


    down

    Quoted message said:

    to the 'middle' trails on the mountain and back to get cleaned up and


    packed

    Quoted message said:

    to leave.

    Pics at pbase.commore at douthat Check out the


    panorama.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, they're old and worn down mountains but still beautiful.

    All in all I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Good friends, good weather, and good
    riding. I am really excited about some of the access issues in Virginia and participating in
    them in my own back yard. If any riders in Central Virginia want to join MORE feel free to email
    me direct


    to

    Quoted message said:

    let me know.

    Mike

    Fantastic stuff Michael.

    Thanks for the post, it was a great read.

    Lance

  3. "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In keeping with my new years resolution to get a mountain bike club going again in the Richmond
    area I spent last weekend at the board meeting of the Mid-atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts or MORE
    for short. It was held at Douthat State Park in Virginia. It is probably one of the best
    mountain bike destinations in the state. Miles of smooth buff trails built in the 1930's by the
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) nestled in a valley near Clifton Forge VA some with nearly
    2000 foot climbs.

    more-mtb.orgmore-mtb.org

    On my way out of Richmond on Friday my !#$% truck overheated (Stuck thermostat) on the first hill
    out of town. I turned back and determined to go I stopped at a rental agency to pick up a minivan
    for the trip. I arrived just in time to participate in a very interesting mountain bike board game
    brought back from New Zealand by David Scull one of the Maryland members of More, the game is
    called Karapoti after a XC race course there.

    mountainbike.co.nzthegame.html

    It was a hoot to play and nearly simulated the trials and tribulations of a XC race. It was a good
    wau for me to get to know some of the folks I hadn't met before.

    On Saturday the morning was spent in meetings, after a pancake breakfast, until about noon. Chris
    Scott the Virginia state IMBA rep and Rich Edwards former IMBA trail care crew member and now IMBA
    trail builder expert arrived then. The meeting was adjourned for lunch and a afternoon ride. We
    started off and it was a beautiful day 32deg F bright and sunny. Here is a 3D map of the park and
    the race course for the Middle Mountain Momma XC race.

    mountainbikevirginia.com3D%20momma%20map.htm

    We rode the right side of the course from the lake up to Mountain Side trail to Upper and Lower
    Brushy Hollow trail. All of which is beautiful full bench cut into the mountain side. Lower Brushy
    Hollow is one of the greatest downhill rewards for a climb that I have ever experienced in
    Virginia. It is 3.5 miles of downhill fun starting out with several tight switchbacks. You need to
    keep and eye on the trail rising up to meet you to clue you where the turn is. It then runs into a
    valley starting with some bermed turns then drops in a creek bed and just flies along with great
    sight lines, a couple quick stream crossings ending with a big compression dip you can catch air
    off the lip on. Whoooooo Hoooooo!!!!! Some of us decided to continue up Stony Run trail which
    crosses Stony Run Creek several times. The first crossing normally is a 15 foot wide water
    crossing. At these temps water is considerably stiffer than usual. I sized up the frozen crossing
    and decided if I kept my speed up I could shoot across to the gentle transition to the bank on the
    other side. BIG mistake! IRC Seracs have zero traction on ice and I went down hard. Bruised but
    relatively unhurt I tended to my bike which had a bent derailleur hanger which I tweaked back to
    working. Oh well. Shelia made a similar attempt and comically tripod-ed across the ice with one
    foot down. Scott made a similar attempt as myself against my warnings with the same result except
    he landed on his left side bruising his pride and bending his disc rotor.

    After the ride was again spent in meetings interrupted by a big pasta dinner cooked by Scott.
    After dinner I was allowed to lay out my proposal for expanding the club to Richmond which was met
    by much enthusiasm. For right now I'm to encourage Richmond area riders to join More, lead rides
    and do trailwork. Hopefully we will grow to the point to create our own chapter with the benefits
    of More's insurance coverage and tax exempt status. MORE hopes to be able to grow enough to fill
    the gap between NEMBA in New England and SORBA to the south. They are well on their way. They are
    currently situated near Washington DC and have access to many politicians who make policy for the
    whole country. People who make policy on Wilderness access and other decisions affecting our sport
    are within easy access to them. I am situated in our states capital and have access to people who
    make policy for our state. I think it will be a good fit. It just going to take working out some
    logistical details. But the internet has made the world smaller and if I can chat with some
    Northern Tosspot in England, then heck, northern Virginia isn't a far reach at all. ;^)

    Sunday weatherwise was a repeat of Saturday ( a bit warmer 34deg F) The board was finalizing
    details of the meeting, delegating responsibilities etc. I discovered Dave (who brought the game)
    was headed out for a early ride and I decided to go with him. We were joined by Shelia. We started
    out by a climb of Tobbaco House ridge trail. Then up Blue Suck Falls (Hey I don't name 'em) trail
    all the way to the falls. From there we went on down to the 'middle' trails on the mountain and
    back to get cleaned up and packed to leave.

    Pics at pbase.commore at douthat Check out the panorama. Yeah, they're old and
    worn down mountains but still beautiful.

    All in all I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Good friends, good weather, and good
    riding. I am really excited about some of the access issues in Virginia and participating in them
    in my own back yard. If any riders in Central Virginia want to join MORE feel free to email me
    direct to let me know.

    Mike

    Excellant work bro !!!
    --
    Slacker

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.