Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

RR WCMCC Two-day stage race - B-grade (long)

Started by DeF · · Last activity · 3 posts · 521 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
3 October 2006
Last activity
3 October 2006
Original author
DeF
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
521
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. WCMCC Two Day Stage Race - Oct 1 & 2 2006.

    Another first for me, a multi stage bike race. The
    race had four stages over two days. Overall placings
    were determined by points scored in each stage. There
    was 5 points for starting then 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 4 points
    for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th respectively. There
    were four grades (A to D) - I was in B-grade.

    Stage 1. 11km ITT. The first two stages were on the same
    circuit at Herne Hill which is in a wine growing area near
    Perth. The TT was one lap of the circuit. I was targeting
    the TT as in the past I'd done relatively better at TTing.
    In the end, I was disappointed with my effort, failing
    to go inside my age standard. The course was a bit tricky
    but I cursed myself for not doing better. I got 4th on the
    stage with an average speed of about 37.5kph. I was hoping
    to do over 38kph average. Anyway, points on the board and
    4th overall going into stage 2.

    Stage 2. 55km Road Race. 5 laps of the Herne Hill circuit.
    This was a fairly uneventful race. There were a few attacks,
    I had a go myself but it all came together in the end for a
    bunch sprint. I was determined not to get boxed in as I had
    last time I raced this circuit and found some space out on the
    right. However, I misjudged the distance to the finish and
    went to early. I was in the front with about 100m to go
    but got swamped and ended up about 10th. After two stages,
    I'm sitting about 7th overall.

    Stage 3. 60km Road Race at Pickering Brook. 8 laps of a
    hilly course. I'd raced here once before and managed to stay
    with the bunch for the whole race. I'm not a climber so today
    my plan was just to keep up and see what happened at the end.
    On the first lap, a rider took a flyer off the front. The
    pace of the bunch was pretty high as they tried to catch him.
    He ended up staying away for 4 laps but was caught. In the
    process, I was getting into serious trouble at the back of
    the pack. My problem was more mental than physical though -
    I just didn't seem to be able to get the heart rate up when
    I needed the effort up the hill. Then, as I was being slowly
    dropped on the climb, I noticed a horrid rattle coming from
    my bike. My bidon cage was coming loose and threatening to
    fall off into my back wheel. There was a frame pump attached
    there as well. So, I erred on the side of safety and pulled
    out of the race after completing 5 laps. After this, I was
    feeling pretty down and having trouble psyching myself up for
    the last stage.

    Stage 4. 40min plus 2 laps Criterium at Kewdale. Last stage
    and the points table was all pretty close. I'd had something
    to eat and drink since the morning and was feeling a bit better.
    The crit was going to be interesting as there was only a couple
    of points between 1st and 2nd and I was equal 8th overall. There
    was much poring over the results table before the race with at
    least one rider writing numbers on his arm. Even though it was
    a short race, there were several sub-races going on as riders
    tried to protect their position. I knew who I wanted to finish
    in front of and that was my main goal. There was lots of attacking
    and a number of breakaways. I stayed out of trouble towards the
    rear. My plan was to get into a breakaway when we had about 10
    minutes to go. In the end, two riders got away with 15mins to
    go. I thought they had a chance so jumped and made the gap.
    We started working but one of us wasn't really putting in.
    We stayed away for about a lap but the rider who was equal 8th
    with me at the start of the race pulled us all back. As he passed
    me he gave me a wry smile and made some remark about being a
    [censored] for getting away. So, after all that, it ended with a bunch
    sprint. Despite the earlier efforts, I felt I had some legs
    and again, was determined to not get boxed in. I moved to the
    right before the final corner and got around with about 10
    riders in front. Then the sprint started and the road opened
    up. I grabbed some gears and put my head down. Amazingly,
    I was passing riders on my left and right. Suddenly, there
    was only one rider in front and I was gaining on him. I wasn't
    sure exactly where the line was but kept going. In the end,
    I ran out of space and got 2nd which I was more than happy with
    and much better than I expected. Top speed in the sprint was
    about 53kph. This was my best result at B-grade in any race.

    In the wash-up, I ended up with fifth over-all. 1 point behind
    the rider who came fourth. He'd got 6th in the crit. The rider
    who started equal 8th with me at the start of the day got 6th.
    We were all helped by some higher ranked riders not starting the
    last stage.

    It was all good fun and there was lots of post-mortem discussion
    about the races etc. The turn around in my state of mind from
    the morning race was marked. I was feeling [censored] and disappointed
    then for the crit, I was energized and very happy to get 2nd.

    Results and photos for all races should be on the WCMCC web site
    soon.

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

  2. DeF said:

    WCMCC Two Day Stage Race - Oct 1 & 2 2006.

    Another first for me, a multi stage bike race. The
    race had four stages over two days. Overall placings
    were determined by points scored in each stage. There
    was 5 points for starting then 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 4 points
    for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th respectively. There
    were four grades (A to D) - I was in B-grade.

    Stage 1. 11km ITT.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I got 4th on the
    stage with an average speed of about 37.5kph. I was hoping
    to do over 38kph average. Anyway, points on the board and
    4th overall going into stage 2.

    Stage 2. 55km Road Race. 5 laps of the Herne Hill circuit.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I misjudged the distance to the finish and
    went to early. I was in the front with about 100m to go
    but got swamped and ended up about 10th. After two stages,
    I'm sitting about 7th overall.

    Stage 3. 60km Road Race at Pickering Brook.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Then, as I was being slowly dropped on the climb, I noticed


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Quoted message said:

    horrid rattle coming from
    my bike. My bidon cage was coming loose and threatening to
    fall off into my back wheel. There was a frame pump attached
    there as well. So, I erred on the side of safety and pulled
    out of the race after completing 5 laps.


    Good move ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Stage 4. 40min plus 2 laps Criterium at Kewdale. Last stage
    and the points table was all pretty close.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I was equal 8th overall.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    ...it ended with a bunch
    sprint. Despite the earlier efforts, I felt I had some legs
    and again, was determined to not get boxed in. I moved to the
    right before the final corner and got around with about 10
    riders in front. Then the sprint started and the road opened
    up. I grabbed some gears and put my head down. Amazingly,
    I was passing riders on my left and right. Suddenly, there
    was only one rider in front and I was gaining on him. I wasn't
    sure exactly where the line was but kept going. In the end,
    I ran out of space and got 2nd which I was more than happy with
    and much better than I expected. Top speed in the sprint was
    about 53kph. This was my best result at B-grade in any race.

    In the wash-up, I ended up with fifth over-all. 1 point behind
    the rider who came fourth. He'd got 6th in the crit. The rider
    who started equal 8th with me at the start of the day got 6th.
    We were all helped by some higher ranked riders not starting the
    last stage.

    It was all good fun and there was lots of post-mortem discussion
    about the races etc. The turn around in my state of mind from
    the morning race was marked. I was feeling [censored] and disappointed
    then for the crit, I was energized and very happy to get 2nd.

    Results and photos for all races should be on the WCMCC web site
    soon.

    DeF

    Well done Duncan. Nice report too. 5th got you some money though
    didn't it?
    Makes me want to go racing again...

    --
    BrettS

  3. BrettS said:
    DeF said:

    WCMCC Two Day Stage Race - Oct 1 & 2 2006.


    <SNIP>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    DeF

    Well done Duncan. Nice report too. 5th got you some money though
    didn't it?
    Makes me want to go racing again...

    --
    BrettS

    Thanks Brett. Yes, got $60 for my effort. The
    money went down to 11th in B-grade (and a bottle of
    wine for 12th). I'm starting to get a little pile of
    cash from all these results over the year. Almost
    got enough to pay for next year's license!

    You might be interested to know that a certain
    M. Russel took out the crit and the Herne Hill
    race to finish 3rd overall. He was the slowest
    *over all grades* in the ITT and dropped out of
    the Pickering Brook stage before I did.

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.