Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: that zany colorado weather

Started by Monique Y. Mudama · · Last activity · 1 post · 331 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
23 May 2004
Original author
Monique Y. Mudama
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
331
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Only in Colorado ...

    The plan for the morning: head to UC in Boulder, try out my
    special-order Terry Ti Fly saddle, and from there call a friend and meet
    up with her at Teller Farm. Weather looks good.

    I try the saddle, decide that it's a definite "maybe," and buy it to try
    out. (They'll let me return it for store credit, as long as it's not
    banged up.) What started as a few drops during my test ride had turned
    to a heavy drizzle. Bright blue sky, though (wtf?). I call my friend
    and confer; we decide to meet up rather than wussing out.

    Get to the trailhead; it's windy and a storm is definitely approaching,
    but it's still fairly nice out. We start to ride ... and several
    minutes in, she realizes that she forgot her eyewear. Oops. Of course,
    it's starting to rain again. We pause to put on long-sleeved shirts.
    Hers is actually water-repellant, whereas mine is just a wicking
    underlayer, and I curse myself for not thinking through my clothing
    choices. On we go.

    At the top of the first climb, the rain is getting to be mildly annoying
    to me, but quite an irritation to someone with no eye protection. And
    the foothills look like they're being flooded; we weren't sure if that
    downpour was headed our way. We decide to turn around and go back,
    making it a 7ish mile loop for us. On the way back, I start noticing
    that the rain is kind of, um, painful. Sleet and hail. Goodie.

    We get back to the trailhead and start putting away our stuff, at which
    point the rain instantly stops. Grr! Both of us had schedules to keep,
    so we went ahead and changed, glaring at the now-beautiful blue sky.
    Oddly enough, though my REI long underwear top (being used as an
    overlayer) was drenched, the jersey I wore beneath it was bone dry.
    Sweet! Maybe that shirt wasn't a mistake in rain, after all. My friend
    hadn't fared as well, probably because her outer layer didn't breathe
    well enough to let the sweat out.

    I hope I end up liking that saddle ... after the amount of dirt I
    sprayed onto it, I don't think I can return it.

    I think I've finally figured out this uphill thing. See, I'm usually
    afraid of my legs wearing out halfway up the climb, with my feet
    attached to my pedals, and toppling -- so I unclip, meaning I have less
    climbing power, and I start panting really hard, and thinking about
    having unclipped because I'm afraid I'll have to stop generally leads to
    me stopping. Bleh.

    This time, I kept my feet clipped in, but dropped into my granniest of
    granny gears -- and kept it slow. Yes, I was a slug, but at least I
    wasn't a slug turning purple from lack of oxygen. Whenever I found
    myself pedalling hard enough to gasp for air, I slowed my breathing
    down, and my legs followed suit. Turns out that I can ride a lot
    farther up the hill than I think I can, as long as I keep my cool and
    don't try to hammer it out. Good to know.

    Oh, and Eric is a little nonplussed that I spent money on the Ti version
    of the saddle, rather than on the next level down. Ah well.

    --
    monique

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.