Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: My sister got bit by one once (pics)

Started by Raptor · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,167 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 June 2003
Last activity
3 July 2003
Original author
Raptor
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,167
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jackson was rained out earlier this week (like mountains everywhere apparently), so I needed a trail
    fix. Given the slop up there, I took a Tetons hike that beat the hell out of my cycling legs. A
    couple days rest after returning to SLC has them feeling normal again.

    I can never remember if the Mill Creek slot prohibition on bikes is odd or even, only that it's
    opposite City Creek. The intent was to do Wasatch Crest out-and-back from Mill Creek, but I discover
    it's "no bikes on odd days" when I get there. Today is the 29th. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow when
    it's legal. Probably not; tomorrow feels like a road day. (Unemployment is great until the nest egg
    runs out.)

    Plan B was Cardiff Fork up Big Cottonwood, about 25 miles from my front door downtown. The riding
    itself has only lung-busting altitude and the killer workout of 6 miles of uphills on loose stones.
    But the big payoff is the beautiful cirque at the top. The threaded mining roads pass the ruins of
    the old Cardiff Mine about two-thirds of the way - great for people who appreciate such things. I
    don't. It was a pretty big operation once, and leeches ochre-colored heavy metals into the stream.

    I first did this ride on my no-sx bike many years ago and it SUCKED. The loose paving made it a
    constant exercise in frustration. My FSX ride makes it do-able. I have yet to do the whole thing
    without being forced off the pedals by a disappearing line, wobbly low-speed balance or shifting
    traction, but I may be getting there. I was only really stopped three times or so (but in reality
    took quite a few breaks to stow the helmet and t-shirt, admire the area, take pictures, etc).

    Except for the foolish wearing of cleated sandals, I kicked this ride's ass. Naturally, I waited to
    mash my exposed toes until the wiggle around the gate at the trailhead, at the end of the ride. Tore
    some skin off a tiptoe.

    But I'm wonderfully strong this year and found myself at the high end of the roads in what felt like
    short order. I know there are moose up there, having spotted one a couple years ago. So I was only
    mildly surprised to look up after rounding a tight corner to see a female "trotting" away out of
    sight. What do you call it that moose do when they move quickly, anyway? Couldn't get the camera out
    fast enough, couldn't properly stalk the beast to get a pic. I didn't want to be eaten, after all.

    After taking some pics that of course don't do justice to the place, I headed down. Even the floaty
    bike didn't spare my kidneys of some pounding but they're okay. I ended up doing a nice loop around
    the cirque's basin. Halfway down, I see a distinctive silhouette in some shade. Could've been a
    strangely shaped dead tree, but it was showing movement. Could've been chipmunks crawling over said
    dead tree. Or could've been... yep! Bull mooseage!

    The guy's gotten tame over recent years. I got within about sixty yards before feeling like I was
    crowding. He was liking the shade and not wishing to move.

    Sigh, and me without a 400-mm lens. But my camera's kind of good, which means big picture files.

    I took the left: xmission.comCardiffWhichWay.jpg

    I don't know if I'll ever make it up this section in pedals. It's steeper than it looks!
    xmission.comCardiffSteep.jpg

    So like, imagine a moose trotting through this, away from the camera, five minutes before the shot.
    xmission.comCardiffNoMoose.jpg

    The beautiful bowl: xmission.comCardiffCirce.jpg
    xmission.comCardiffCirce1.jpg

    Not bad shots after all, considering the equipment: xmission.comMooseFront.jpg
    xmission.comMooseSide3.jpg

    (I'll test the links and post a fixed follow-up if necessary.)

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  2. I love the pics. Very nice. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Jackson was rained out earlier this week (like mountains everywhere apparently), so I needed a
    trail fix. Given the slop up there, I took a Tetons hike that beat the hell out of my cycling
    legs. A couple days rest after returning to SLC has them feeling normal again.

    I can never remember if the Mill Creek slot prohibition on bikes is odd or even, only that it's
    opposite City Creek. The intent was to do Wasatch Crest out-and-back from Mill Creek, but I
    discover it's "no bikes on odd days" when I get there. Today is the 29th. Maybe I'll do that
    tomorrow when it's legal. Probably not; tomorrow feels like a road day. (Unemployment is great
    until the nest egg runs out.)

    Plan B was Cardiff Fork up Big Cottonwood, about 25 miles from my front door downtown. The
    riding itself has only lung-busting altitude and the killer workout of 6 miles of uphills on
    loose stones. But the big payoff is the beautiful cirque at the top. The threaded mining roads
    pass the ruins of the old Cardiff Mine about two-thirds of the way - great for people who
    appreciate such things. I don't. It was a pretty big operation once, and leeches ochre-colored
    heavy metals into the


    stream.

    Quoted message said:


    I first did this ride on my no-sx bike many years ago and it SUCKED. The loose paving made it a
    constant exercise in frustration. My FSX ride makes it do-able. I have yet to do the whole thing
    without being forced off the pedals by a disappearing line, wobbly low-speed balance or shifting
    traction, but I may be getting there. I was only really stopped three times or so (but in reality
    took quite a few breaks to stow the helmet and t-shirt, admire the area, take pictures, etc).

    Except for the foolish wearing of cleated sandals, I kicked this ride's ass. Naturally, I waited
    to mash my exposed toes until the wiggle around the gate at the trailhead, at the end of the ride.
    Tore some skin off a tiptoe.

    But I'm wonderfully strong this year and found myself at the high end of the roads in what felt
    like short order. I know there are moose up there, having spotted one a couple years ago. So I was
    only mildly surprised to look up after rounding a tight corner to see a female "trotting" away out
    of sight. What do you call it that moose do when they move quickly, anyway? Couldn't get the
    camera out fast enough, couldn't properly stalk the beast to get a pic. I didn't want to be eaten,
    after all.

    After taking some pics that of course don't do justice to the place, I headed down. Even the
    floaty bike didn't spare my kidneys of some pounding but they're okay. I ended up doing a nice
    loop around the cirque's basin. Halfway down, I see a distinctive silhouette in some shade.
    Could've been a strangely shaped dead tree, but it was showing movement. Could've been chipmunks
    crawling over said dead tree. Or could've been... yep! Bull mooseage!

    The guy's gotten tame over recent years. I got within about sixty yards before feeling like I was
    crowding. He was liking the shade and not wishing to move.

    Sigh, and me without a 400-mm lens. But my camera's kind of good, which means big picture files.

    I took the left: xmission.comCardiffWhichWay.jpg

    I don't know if I'll ever make it up this section in pedals. It's steeper than it looks!
    xmission.comCardiffSteep.jpg

    So like, imagine a moose trotting through this, away from the camera, five minutes before the
    shot. xmission.comCardiffNoMoose.jpg

    The beautiful bowl: xmission.comCardiffCirce.jpg
    xmission.comCardiffCirce1.jpg

    Not bad shots after all, considering the equipment: xmission.comMooseFront.jpg
    xmission.comMooseSide3.jpg

    (I'll test the links and post a fixed follow-up if necessary.)

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  3. Raptor said:

    Jackson was rained out earlier this week (like mountains everywhere apparently), so I needed a
    trail fix. Given the slop up there, I took a Tetons hike that beat the hell out of my cycling legs.
    A couple days rest after returning to SLC has them feeling normal again.

    I can never remember if the Mill Creek slot prohibition on bikes is odd or even, only that it's
    opposite City Creek. The intent was to do Wasatch Crest out-and-back from Mill Creek, but I
    discover it's "no bikes on odd days" when I get there. Today is the 29th. Maybe I'll do that
    tomorrow when it's legal. Probably not; tomorrow feels like a road day. (Unemployment is great
    until the nest egg runs out.)

    Plan B was Cardiff Fork up Big Cottonwood, about 25 miles from my front door downtown. The riding
    itself has only lung-busting altitude and the killer workout of 6 miles of uphills on loose stones.
    But the big payoff is the beautiful cirque at the top. The threaded mining roads pass the ruins of
    the old Cardiff Mine about two-thirds of the way - great for people who appreciate such things. I
    don't. It was a pretty big operation once, and leeches ochre-colored heavy metals into the stream.

    I first did this ride on my no-sx bike many years ago and it SUCKED. The loose paving made it a
    constant exercise in frustration. My FSX ride makes it do-able. I have yet to do the whole thing
    without being forced off the pedals by a disappearing line, wobbly low-speed balance or shifting
    traction, but I may be getting there. I was only really stopped three times or so (but in reality
    took quite a few breaks to stow the helmet and t-shirt, admire the area, take pictures, etc).

    Except for the foolish wearing of cleated sandals, I kicked this ride's ass. Naturally, I waited to
    mash my exposed toes until the wiggle around the gate at the trailhead, at the end of the ride.
    Tore some skin off a tiptoe.

    But I'm wonderfully strong this year and found myself at the high end of the roads in what felt
    like short order. I know there are moose up there, having spotted one a couple years ago. So I was
    only mildly surprised to look up after rounding a tight corner to see a female "trotting" away out
    of sight. What do you call it that moose do when they move quickly, anyway? Couldn't get the
    camera out fast enough, couldn't properly stalk the beast to get a pic. I didn't want to be eaten,
    after all.

    After taking some pics that of course don't do justice to the place, I headed down. Even the floaty
    bike didn't spare my kidneys of some pounding but they're okay. I ended up doing a nice loop around
    the cirque's basin. Halfway down, I see a distinctive silhouette in some shade. Could've been a
    strangely shaped dead tree, but it was showing movement. Could've been chipmunks crawling over said
    dead tree. Or could've been... yep! Bull mooseage!

    The guy's gotten tame over recent years. I got within about sixty yards before feeling like I was
    crowding. He was liking the shade and not wishing to move.

    Sigh, and me without a 400-mm lens. But my camera's kind of good, which means big picture files.

    I took the left: xmission.comCardiffWhichWay.jpg

    I don't know if I'll ever make it up this section in pedals. It's steeper than it looks!
    xmission.comCardiffSteep.jpg

    So like, imagine a moose trotting through this, away from the camera, five minutes before the shot.
    xmission.comCardiffNoMoose.jpg

    The beautiful bowl: xmission.comCardiffCirce.jpg
    xmission.comCardiffCirce1.jpg

    Not bad shots after all, considering the equipment: xmission.comMooseFront.jpg
    xmission.comMooseSide3.jpg

    (I'll test the links and post a fixed follow-up if necessary.)

    --

    NICE!!! Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.