Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: Heavy Bike/Light Trails

Started by JD · · Last activity · 3 posts · 364 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
17 October 2005
Last activity
17 October 2005
Original author
JD
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
364
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I knew where we were heading for the day, had ridden there before, and
    knew a light bike works very well there. However, word had gotten to
    me the night before that Miles would be attending on a 6" travel bike
    and I wanted to handicap him. Well, Miles didn't show because of a
    bug that settled in overnight and there I was, on the only heavy bike
    of the group in a land suited for light bikes. Not all of the trails
    were truly "light", due to some brilliant trail design around some
    large boulders that yielded excellent extracurricular lines to choose
    from. Those lines made it all worth it.

    It was nice to meet up with Bill and Co. at 8 AM instead of the usual
    earlier ride times. I arrived a few minutes early and Bill, Stan and
    Kim rolled up a few minutes later. After hitting the cool mountain air
    for introductions and initial BSing, I decided that the long sleeve
    shirt would have to pull duty for at least the first part of the ride.
    It seemed like a wise decision, especially as the group pedaled of into
    the crisp air.

    The short initial climb had somehow been magically filled with large
    wood chippings since my last visit and assisted in me spinning out and
    hoofing a couple of pitches. At the top, there was the perfunctory
    pause for the view and a couple of snapshots and then we railed down
    the trail. The conditions were a little loose, but it seemed normal
    for this time of year and no monsoons for a month or so. Another pause
    at a nice rock overview on a side trail was required as well before
    looping back around to the parking lot and beyond.

    The next trail brought us to a nice topo line traversing trail before
    crossing a fire road and then the dropping began. Sure it wasn't all
    descending, as this area has trails that don't drop or climb too
    drastically. The trail initially ascended a small knoll, with a couple
    of rock moves up, including a nice squeeze. We dropped down off of the
    knoll and twisted out way up, down and around through the track. There
    was one pause at a multiple line boulder move, ridden both up and down.
    It was all good, but the bigger moves were much more fun on a 6"
    travel bike, especially since I had only ridden this area on a rigid
    singlespeed before. The handling in the twisties still seemed pretty
    sluggish to me, but there was all day and I was in no hurry.

    We exited the singletrack onto a fire road and then began what was
    going to be the biggest climb of the day. Bill jetted right off, later
    admitting that his mileage has been up and it certainly showed. Stan
    and Kim paced themselves and I kind of rode in-between, trying to keep
    an even spin to haul the pig up the hill more easily. Bill was being
    kind and hung back enough to give me a dose of my own medicine,
    conversing with someone who was having trouble catching their breath.
    It was funny because I haven't gotten that treatment in a while and I
    had to grin while thinking about it while peeling off my long sleeve
    shirt about halfway up. Bill had already crested and was scooping the
    view when I pulled up. Being able to see a panorama like that in SoCal
    doesn't happen that often.

    Stan and Kim pulled up in a few and then we discussed the trail we were
    going to traverse back towards the parking lot. It's the classic
    undulating singletrack, with a few do-dads throw in here and there,
    like log drops, a tree limbo, sandy spots and some dreaded Live Oak
    acorns. The fixed obstacles were expected, but the acorns were more
    hazardous than one might expect. In some places there were so many
    acorns on the trail it was like riding on marbles. Other places, a few
    might be in the apex of a turn and while railing through, caused the
    bike to skip a few inches to the side. You couldn't see most of
    those little buggers because they were in heavily shaded areas and were
    scattered in the duff of oak leaves and other natural trail detritus.
    Still, it was a ripping run across, eventually dropping us off onto a
    fire road.

    A quick consensus steered us back onto the singletrack that initially
    climbed and dropped off of the road we were back on. This time I was a
    lot more ready for what was to come, and hit all of the right gears at
    the right times. The big bike also seemed to be handling more easily,
    probably due to my getting used to it again and riding it as it was
    intended to be ridden. Everyone else seemed to be in a groove, as the
    group remained relatively tight and all exited onto the lower fire road
    within about a minute of each other. The aforementioned consensus
    headed us back towards the car for a food break.

    Round two saw Stan and Kim sitting it out. Kim had had enough and made
    no excuses or bones about it. Stan had taken a trip over the bars in
    the acorn infestation and had injured his wrist, so he was reluctantly
    going to hang with Kim. Bill and I rolled off on a singletrack that
    exited right from the parking area and has the best higher speed flow
    in the whole area. The brief rest and food had rejuvenated me some,
    but getting a good flow on the first trail out after seemed to have
    finished the restoration of my being able to handle the heavy bike, at
    least on the descents and short climbs.

    Good things don't ever last too long and the next move was to
    traverse over to another track I had yet to ride all of and Bill knew
    where the upper entrance was. We used a few of the tracks we had
    already been on and were able to eke even more speed out of our bikes
    than previously. One such place was a manmade double bridge/stunt over
    two huge fallen trees that I had ridden over a little tentatively
    earlier and Bill had skipped completely. Round two on that section
    found me flowing right through and Bill riding the first half without
    even thinking about it. Exiting onto the fire road that was the big
    climb earlier, it was time to climb half of it again.

    Bill was again, kind in hanging back a bit as I had to fight to get
    that bike up the hill again. He was paused at the entrance and I too
    the opportunity to drop the saddle for the first time of the day,
    knowing at least the part of the trail I had been on before it would be
    beneficial. Of course it had to start with a little climb, but soon
    there were plentiful fun boulder moves as described by Bill. I led and
    flowed over most of them, stopping a couple of times to reorient to the
    trail and check the boulders for line probabilities. One such boulder
    looked to have an impossible deep V that most assuredly would be a
    pedal clipper, but closer inspection revealed that the left side
    boulder of the move was rollable right off of the top. I had to give
    it a couple of goes, both being an easy task with the big bike. It's
    definitely way fun stuff and hats off to the trailbuilders for this gem
    of the area.

    After a short section past the V boulder, we were back on familiar turf
    to me and I knew the trail opened up in a few places before crossing
    another fire road. The pig handles so well at speed, regaining control
    in a left-hand sweeping turn after caroming down a 50 yard rut was less
    of a fight than turning in the tight twisties. After the next fire
    road, the descent was more of a traverse and in places reminds me a lot
    of Fruita's famous Kessel Run. I swear that whoever built this
    section of trail had to have ridden Fruita before this trail was built.
    While exiting the trail, Bill mentioned that when ridden at the proper
    speed, this was his favorite section in the area. I can't say I
    blame him because on a snappier handling bike, it's mine too.

    The ride out was all fire road climb, and again Bill was kind enough to
    hang back. We BSed a bit about rides yet to come and an impending trip
    he was going to be taking. It was a mutual agreement that it's going
    to be a great Fall in the local mountains and maybe an even better
    Winter in the high desert. I just may learn to love California again.

    JD

  2. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Stan and Kim pulled up in a few and then we discussed the trail we were
    going to traverse back towards the parking lot. It's the classic
    undulating singletrack, with a few do-dads throw in here and there,
    like log drops, a tree limbo, sandy spots and some dreaded Live Oak
    acorns.

    Those acorns almost killed Kimberly and I probably on the same day you did
    this ride. We hiked to Switzers Falls and we each had scary incidents of
    almost rolling off the side of a 50 ft cliff because of the acorns. BTW,
    the canyon bottom between the picnic area and where the trail pops up on to
    the side of the canyon is a mile of full of boulder move after boulder move.
    I wouldn't want to do it on a weekend, though, it's a complete zoo. There
    must have been 500 people hiking that section and not a single mtn bike.

    Sorry I couldn't make the ride above, domestic duties were paramount that
    weekend.

    Quoted message said:


    The ride out was all fire road climb, and again Bill was kind enough to
    hang back. We BSed a bit about rides yet to come and an impending trip
    he was going to be taking. It was a mutual agreement that it's going
    to be a great Fall in the local mountains and maybe an even better
    Winter in the high desert. I just may learn to love California again.

    Oh, yeah, I got some unridden desert ideas.

    Greg

  3. G.T. said:

    "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Stan and Kim pulled up in a few and then we discussed the trail we were
    going to traverse back towards the parking lot. It's the classic
    undulating singletrack, with a few do-dads throw in here and there,
    like log drops, a tree limbo, sandy spots and some dreaded Live Oak
    acorns.

    Those acorns almost killed Kimberly and I probably on the same day you did
    this ride. We hiked to Switzers Falls and we each had scary incidents of
    almost rolling off the side of a 50 ft cliff because of the acorns. BTW,
    the canyon bottom between the picnic area and where the trail pops up on to
    the side of the canyon is a mile of full of boulder move after boulder move.
    I wouldn't want to do it on a weekend, though, it's a complete zoo. There
    must have been 500 people hiking that section and not a single mtn bike.

    Those acorns are brutal. That trail sounds like a fun option for a
    weekday.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry I couldn't make the ride above, domestic duties were paramount that
    weekend.

    I kinda figured that. If you're free to ride this coming weekend, I'll
    be ready to rock all weekend.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The ride out was all fire road climb, and again Bill was kind enough to
    hang back. We BSed a bit about rides yet to come and an impending trip
    he was going to be taking. It was a mutual agreement that it's going
    to be a great Fall in the local mountains and maybe an even better
    Winter in the high desert. I just may learn to love California again.

    Oh, yeah, I got some unridden desert ideas.

    Cool beans.

    JD

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.